Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Daily Mail reckons only 30-35% of PL players have had their shots.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
i care because they had a prilivege of their jobs being secured and continued when many did not. they have an obligation to be vaccinated, keep themselves safe and prevent spread to others in their team and others.

that said im suspicious of the story, how they'd know, and did that many players really not go abroad on holiday this year?

This

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I'm wouldn't be surprised at all.

I personally know quite a few sport scientists and doctors involved in sport (mainly Boxing) dubious on advising their athletes to get it.

I'm not saying that I find it hard to believe that you know "quite a few" (5+?) sports scientists and doctors dubious about vaccination, but I find it hard to believe...

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I think the daily Mail could well be correct but it just reinforces the view that some footballers are both daft and selfish .

I try really hard to see the best in people, but sometimes it is really hard. I think I can probably agree with about 50% of what you are saying here. Sorry but that is the best I can do.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
i care because they had a prilivege of their jobs being secured and continued when many did not. they have an obligation to be vaccinated, keep themselves safe and prevent spread to others in their team and others.

that said im suspicious of the story, how they'd know, and did that many players really not go abroad on holiday this year?

Absolutely. A player has the potential to infect the rest of their unvaxed teammates, games called off, or they're unavailable for selection - fans won't get refunds for travel tickets or accommodation they've booked, but you'll bet your bottom dollar the players will still expect their full wages.

The NFL stopped short of mandating vaccination, but they're up to 93% of players and 99% of staff and coaches vaccinated, basically because they applied rules as such that being unvaccinated, unless you were an outright irreplaceable star player, you were going to be off the roster because it wasn't worth the risk to the rest of the squad who were vaccinated who had a more relaxed set of protocols for training and games.

So yeah, make it a personal choice, but also make it a choice of the club and staff to apply a different set of rules to that player, and if they make that choice, then don't expect the same treatment as those that have been vaccinated. Expect to train on your own, be out of contention for match day squads etc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Virtually no risk to them being young fit people and with the vulnerable and elderly jabbed I totally understand .

Especially considering they are peak athletes so any substance where long term effects not known could effect performance further down line .

Surprised it’s as high as 30%

I'm wouldn't be surprised at all.

I personally know quite a few sport scientists and doctors involved in sport (mainly Boxing) dubious on advising their athletes to get it.

Young, fit, unvaccinated man dies of Covid

Unvaccinated young people very sick in hospital

St Maximin and Lascelles get long covid:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...g-long-term-effects-from-coronavirus-12170082

"The club's manager Steve Bruce said last Friday it has been a "frightening" experience for the players."

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Young, fit, unvaccinated man dies of Covid

Unvaccinated young people very sick in hospital

St Maximin and Lascelles get long covid:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...g-long-term-effects-from-coronavirus-12170082

"The club's manager Steve Bruce said last Friday it has been a "frightening" experience for the players."

Let's also not forget that Lewis Hamilton appears to have suffered from long Covid and was still clearly struggling with that at Silverstone over 6 months after infection (November 2020), and F1 drivers are probably among the fittest athletes anywhere on the planet.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
While I'm not doing that, is there not likely to be a stipulation in the players' contracts about putting themselves at risk? I can't imagine the club would be particularly happy about the team going off cliff-diving or the like while the season is going on, and not being vaccinated (even as fit young men as they are) could still side line them for games if they do catch it?

There probably is such a clause but it is probably about not doing dangerous things rather than you have to take vaccines / certain medicines. I guess there are clauses about medical issues related to injuries etc, but judging from comments made to the media by various people such as Steve Bruce it appears there is nothing in place to force footballers to get the Covid vaccine.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not really fair that watching fans have to be vaccinated but club staff don't though, is it?

As it seems unlikely the watching fans will each be given an expansive patch of grass to be shared with just 24 other people, it's hardly surprising the 2 aren't treated equally.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Not really fair that watching fans have to be vaccinated but club staff don't though, is it?

Do we have to be vaccinated? Or is a negative test sufficient? I'm vaccinated so haven't paid attention to the rules beyond that.

It terms of fairness, it's unfortunately not about that. The players have contracts and the club can't force anything on the players that isn't covered in their contracts. The terms and conditions on our tickets are presumably worded so that the club can insist on us being vaccinated (or negative test).

Edit: Essentially the players are in the position of power with the club and the club is in the position of power with the fans.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
There probably is such a clause but it is probably about not doing dangerous things rather than you have to take vaccines / certain medicines. I guess there are clauses about medical issues related to injuries etc, but judging from comments made to the media by various people such as Steve Bruce it appears there is nothing in place to force footballers to get the Covid vaccine.

However the likes of the NFL, NBA, NHL have made rules so tight that other than a small percentage, the players are all getting vaccinated for the good of their careers. It seems the EPL and FA are treading a little too lightly if this is the trend with professional football players.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
As it seems unlikely the watching fans will each be given an expansive patch of grass to be shared with just 24 other people, it's hardly surprising the 2 aren't treated equally.

I said "club staff". If I need a vaccine passport then so should the steward and bar staff helping me. And if they need one why should other club staff be exempt?

Do we have to be vaccinated? Or is a negative test sufficient? I'm vaccinated so haven't paid attention to the rules beyond that.

It terms of fairness, it's unfortunately not about that. The players have contracts and the club can't force anything on the players that isn't covered in their contracts. The terms and conditions on our tickets are presumably worded so that the club can insist on us being vaccinated (or negative test).

Edit: Essentially the players are in the position of power with the club and the club is in the position of power with the fans.

Currently LFT is ok so the players regular testing will just about cope with it. However, as stated above, we don't know what hiring conditions Sodexo will have on contacted bar staff or what proof is needed by stewards, 1901 club staff etc. "Plan B" is also just Vaccine Passport although this is Boris so it could mean literally anything.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I said "club staff". If I need a vaccine passport then so should the steward and bar staff helping me. And if they need one why should other club staff be exempt?
But your only other comment on this thread has been to correctly point out, young physically fit males are also vulnerable.
While this thread has been exclusively been about the players.
Nobody has made reference to match day staff.

I'm sure you can understand the confusion?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But your only other comment on this thread has been to correctly point out, young physically fit males are also vulnerable.
While this thread has been exclusively been about the players.
Nobody has made reference to match day staff.

I'm sure you can understand the confusion?

No I can't.

Players are club staff. Security and stewards are club staff. If we get to a situation where Plan B comes in and Vaccine Passports are needed for Premier League attendance then I can see that the players and stewards may be treated differently whilst being employed by the same entity. I find that wrong,

It's not very hard to understand and, for full clarity, it means that I think the players should get vaccinated. In fact, as role models, they should already be. I'd lose all respect for a player I knew for sure wasn't.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
No I can't.

Players are club staff. Security and stewards are club staff. If we get to a situation where Plan B comes in and Vaccine Passports are needed for Premier League attendance then I can see that the players and stewards may be treated differently whilst being employed by the same entity. I find that wrong,

It's not very hard to understand and, for full clarity, it means that I think the players should get vaccinated. In fact, as role models, they should already be. I'd lose all respect for a player I knew for sure wasn't.

It's their personal choice - how about the clubs take the personal choice not to pick any unvaccinated players. That should sharpen a few of the players minds.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
No I can't.

Yawn

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here