Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] The Dail Mash take on Brighton the town

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Depends what you mean by a Brightonian. The city has, through the centuries/decades attracted a certain "type". And Brighton is partly defined by it's high transient population. People moving to the city can have as much "Brightonian" claim as people born there.

Nonsense.

Nonsense exactly.
If I moved to Liverpool I wouldn't suddenly become a Scouser or a Geordie if I moved up to Newcastle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
And the cafes. All those bloody cafes.

The horror! The horror!

You take what you need from the town shirley? I've got Cafe Motu, I can just ignore the other cafes as so much background noise. Same with the pubs. Got less than a dozen I'll use through choice. The others may as well not exist. Same as for most people I'd have thought. Nice to have so much choice tho eh?

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I still love Brighton with a passion, even though I have been away some 36 years. I love Glasgow and the West of Scotland as much and will never move back South, but I always have a warm warm feeling when I come back to Brighton. Oh and I rather like their soccerfootballplaying team. 'The Albion' is their name, I think?

TNBA

TTF

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nonsense exactly.
If I moved to Liverpool I wouldn't suddenly become a Scouser or a Geordie if I moved up to Newcastle.

Which is not what I said.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I lived in Brighton for 16 years, out for 3, just moved back a few days ago. It is one of the best places to live in the UK. Shame it's so damned expensive. Try living in provincial little outposts after Brighton. Dull as ditchwater, Culturally void and full of Tory voters with wellies and pointer dogs.
Now I imagine if one had a family and a wife these small places would be ideal. As a single bloke it was a nightmare. Brighton is a great town to be single in.
As for not being Brightonian? Piffle, I very much consider myself Brightonian, more so because I chose to live here rather than my town be some random chance of birth. The kind of people who resent "non brightonians" are the kind of people that would say the same thing wherever they were native to. Having said that, I'm back now so we can stop letting anyone else in now please thank you.

I don't think I have ever met someone NOT originally fom Brighton that calls themselves a Brightonian.
Newspapers mention it, for example " Brightonian Norman Cook " just because he lives in errrr Hove .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't think I have ever met someone NOT originally fom Brighton that calls themselves a Brightonian.
Newspapers mention it, for example " Brightonian Norman Cook " just because he lives in errrr Hove .

How would you define being a Brightonian then? Just by birth? Or born and raised? If raised how many years and which years? And Norman might not state he's a Brightonian but in my mind he's a perfect example of the case I stated a few pages ago; not by birth right but certainly by spirit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
How would you define being a Brightonian then? Just by birth? Or born and raised? If raised how many years and which years? And Norman might not state he's a Brightonian but in my mind he's a perfect example of the case I stated a few pages ago; not by birth right but certainly by spirit.

Born in Brighton and raised in Brighton, and that's Brighton , not the new City of Brighton and Hove.
I was born near Brighton station, grew up and went to school in Brighton and lived in various areas of the town ( before it became a city ) for 34 years.
I can't speak for Norman, but he's definitely not a Brightonian in my book.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Born in Brighton but raised in Sussex. Fook Brighton, its only good for the football.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The horror! The horror!

You take what you need from the town shirley? I've got Cafe Motu, I can just ignore the other cafes as so much background noise. Same with the pubs. Got less than a dozen I'll use through choice. The others may as well not exist. Same as for most people I'd have thought. Nice to have so much choice tho eh?

My kids and I counted the number of different places we could buy a coffee a few months back as we walked from HSBC in North Street through the North Laine until we got to the Hobgoblin. 60 different places in a 10 minute walk through maybe 8 streets. 60! And there's more opened since then. Nice to have a choice? It would be nice not to keep losing shop after shop to new cafes. It will eventually be the ruin of the North Laine.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If Timmy doesn't like Brighton, it would be better for everyone if he 'sodded off'.

You can call it 'precious' if that makes you happy.

I call it precious because that's what it is. A bloke who was born in the town isn't happy with the direction it's going so your advice is for him to eff off? Regardless of whether his view is valid or not your response is precisely the attitude the Daily Mash is mocking.

Sorry, but the cliquey attitude stinks.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Every time I visit Brighton from my outpost in the North I fall more and more in love with it. Sure it has flaws, but try living elsewhere and you'll see the pluses outweigh the minuses by a huge amount.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I call it precious because that's what it is. A bloke who was born in the town isn't happy with the direction it's going so your advice is for him to eff off? Regardless of whether his view is valid or not your response is precisely the attitude the Daily Mash is mocking.

Sorry, but the cliquey attitude stinks.

Telling Timmy to sod off was ever so slightly tongue in cheek. He has always banged on about his uber-Brightonian credentials, and used people's location from their profiles to slag them off as if they were somehow inferior to him. I find him mildly irritating.

Personally, I love Brighton. It's not perfect, but there is nowhere else that I have visited in the UK that I would prefer to live.

It upsets me that young colleagues (and my kids) will probably not be able to buy a house and settle here, but property prices are prohibitive in many of the most desirable locations these days.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Every time I visit Brighton from my outpost in the North I fall more and more in love with it. Sure it has flaws, but try living elsewhere and you'll see the pluses outweigh the minuses by a huge amount.

Exactly. As i have stated, i have lived and stayed in digs for work in many places around the country, Brighton is a lot better than those places.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here