Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Cutting Room - my movie!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
We seem to have sold out a lot of Tesco stores!

One HUGE bit of luck we had was Parry (our main man) getting a gig on Hollyoaks while we were shooting. His fanbase must have been buying shit loads!

11221478_10155566402480004_1147462949020026197_n.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

One HUGE bit of luck we had was Parry (our main man) getting a gig on Hollyoaks while we were shooting. His fanbase must have been buying shit loads!

This is a brilliant story. I recently watched 'Primer' which was made for a similarly tight budget of $7000 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Originality, craft and skill don't need multi million pound budgets, they just need a bit of luck to get them noticed I guess.

I look forward to seeing this, and wish you the very best for it, very exciting!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

View attachment 65806

Now show us a photo of your shopping trolley. :lolol:

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Interested in buying this so jumped to ebay, several on there with a vast range of prices......up to 30 quid!!! Think I will wait until I go to Tesco ' s.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I think I may have to pootle along to Holmbush on my day off and find me a copy.

Congrats Mr Gribber, great success story!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Haha - I have only bought one I promise!!

In all seriousness, very well done for getting your movie made on such a tiny budget and then getting the distribution deal that you have. I love horror but am not a great fan of the Found Footage genre but I will definitely buy this movie and give it a chance to change my views. BTW I the James Herbert connection has got me thinking that I must read his last book, Ash. Being the last book he wrote before he passed away and having read all off his horror stories, I have put on hold reading it knowing that I will never read a new book from the great man again.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
In all seriousness, very well done for getting your movie made on such a tiny budget and then getting the distribution deal that you have. I love horror but am not a great fan of the Found Footage genre but I will definitely buy this movie and give it a chance to change my views. BTW I the James Herbert connection has got me thinking that I must read his last book, Ash. Being the last book he wrote before he passed away and having read all off his horror stories, I have put on hold reading it knowing that I will never read a new book from the great man again.

I think we keep the shaky camera stuff to a minimum... hopefully by the end you'd have forgotten it's FF!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
OK so a bit of an update (for those even slightly interested!) on an amazing week.

The reviews have been pretty positive across the board with only a few exceptions. The tweets back from viewers have been great! All the latest can be seen here - https://twitter.com/warrendudley

Tesco have reordered more copies!! Hurray.

We are going to do a huge PR push next week regarding the £12,000 budget and hoping to get some mainstream press coverage. Trying to position ourselves as the UK's version of Paranormal Activity!! A bit rich but you only get one go at this!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is a great story Warren - many congratulations.

When life is a bit more calm for you it would be really interesting to hear more detail as it would be fascinating.

Just how do you make a feature film for only £12k?
What does that £12k get spent on?
How do your get a giant like Tesco involved?
Will you do OK out of this given the success the film is enjoying?
Is the film industry beating a path to your door now?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The copy I pre-ordered on Amazon arrived today. I like a good horror movie, so looking forward to watching it. Hope the PR goes well and you have a lot of success,

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

When life is a bit more calm for you it would be really interesting to hear more detail as it would be fascinating.

It's all ll in the writing. We shot in my flat, my sisters flat, my Mums's house and Newhaven Fort where my wife is the Events Manager! Basically if you know you can use your locations for almost nothing, and when you want, that saves a tonne of cash. Also I wanted the film to look like it was shot by a film school graduate so I hired film school graduates to shoot it. Another way to keep the cost down.

We paid all key cast and crew the same. A smallish amount for the two week shoot and a small percentage of any money made. The rest went on kit hire props / food / petrol etc. I edited it all myself that that saved a big chunk.

A remarkable piece of luck. I work a day or two a week at a printers in Lewes and a chap walked in while I was working on the film's website about a year ago. He asked me what it was so I told him it was a film I was gonna make in the summer... he said "Oh that's a coincidence - me and my brother run a distribution company in Brighton". That's how it started SOOOOO LUCKY!

After the film was done it becomes, (in the distributors words) 5% about your film, 95% the DVD cover. So I set about designing that and it was pitched to all the Supermarkets etc... and Tesco bit. They ordered 3000 having only seen the cover! Another piece of great fortune is that our leading man Parry Glasspool got cast in Hollyoaks while we were shooting. It's his fanbase who have bought it so far I think

Depends. We need to keep it in Tesco for as long as possible. I will get around a quid per DVD but need to pay off our investor first. A tiny film like this would normally look to sell around 30,000 a year. My job now is to try and treble that! After we try and do as well as we can here we then try to sell the rights to other territories apparently. This is where you can make some dosh as there are 60 film territories.

No.

We are about to start a big national PR push around the budget story - something we haven;t mentioned until now. '£12,000 British Movie looks set to emulate Paranormal Activity' type of nonsense. Fingers crossed it works.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
The copy I pre-ordered on Amazon arrived today. I like a good horror movie, so looking forward to watching it. Hope the PR goes well and you have a lot of success,

Keep us posted on any BHA product placement you spot - 'Tony Bloom's Blue & White Army' sprayed on one of the Newhaven Fort tunnel walls etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

When are you going to pay the standard £50 NSC advertising fee, for this thread?

:jester:

(good luck Warren!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here