Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The customer isn't always right

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have thought about it. Philosophically, the only two outlooks which are logically consistent are either eating meat or being vegan. Vegetarianism is a bit of a fudge.

But I'm not disciplined enough to be properly vegan so my compromise is 'vegan as much as possible'.

My daughter is a very committed vegan, as well a a yoga, meditation and reiki healing instructor (a massive tree hugger). Due to her influence I have broadened my menu to include food like lentils, pearled wheat butternut and barley but I really like red wine, especially Pinotage and Rioja. To my mind you simply CANNOT drink those wines with a vegan meal. You must have beef, venison, ostrich, lamb, chicken or even a seafood curry to complement the wine.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have thought about it. Philosophically, the only two outlooks which are logically consistent are either eating meat or being vegan. Vegetarianism is a bit of a fudge.

But I'm not disciplined enough to be properly vegan so my compromise is 'vegan as much as possible'.

that sounds logically and ethically inconsistent.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Carbon tastes of... carbon. That's it. Its not a rich flavour.

Its also not blood. Its water stained with some proteins. And good black pudding (which does have blood in it) is fantastic.

That said, if someone wants a well done steak they should get one but if they try to complain about it being tough/tasteless the chef should be allowed come out and laugh at them (rather than crying in kitchen). I suspect some people ask for it well done as they don't actually like the taste/texture but want to get something expensive 'as a treat'. Like my mother.

Carbon is full of friendly toxins that cleanse the body.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Carbon is full of friendly toxins that cleanse the body.

looking beyond the oxymoron, carbonised meats contain lots of nasty compounds which are listed as carcinogenic. of course the amount is infinitesimally small so as to be irrelevant to anyone other than hack Daily Mail/Guardian health nazis.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I suspect some people ask for it well done as they don't actually like the taste/texture but want to get something expensive 'as a treat'. Like my mother.

I think you should consider rewording those last two sentences :angel:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My daughter is a very committed vegan, as well a a yoga, meditation and reiki healing instructor (a massive tree hugger). Due to her influence I have broadened my menu to include food like lentils, pearled wheat butternut and barley but I really like red wine, especially Pinotage and Rioja. To my mind you simply CANNOT drink those wines with a vegan meal. You must have beef, venison, ostrich, lamb, chicken or even a seafood curry to complement the wine.

Red wine with Chicken???????

But then again, isn't Chicken Chasseur with red wine.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
You are right, and ultimately in my restaurant we'll do what our customers ask for, it's just a bit disheartening to be honest.
It's not necessarily about the chef's ego either, for example we have Hanger Steak on our menu and I try to deter people from having them well done because that cut would be particularly unpleasant overcooked.

I'm cooking some hanger tomorrow and was thinking of sous vide(ing) it. Would you?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I am now considering trying to find a place that does steaks sous-vide and asking for mine to be cooked well-done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here