Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Just checking I’m not misunderstanding you here…

Are you agreeing that, while your Crypto portfolio is down in the region of 23/24% this year, your pension fund is down even more?

If so, you need to seriously review who’s running your pension! Unless of course you’re in your 20s say, and up for a wild rollercoaster of risk appetite, no way should a professionally managed pension be down so much in one quarter.

But if I’ve just misunderstood you, and it’s just that yr Crypto is “doing better”, then that’s all good.

The 23/24% figure was a comparison between the performance of Bitcoin and the Nasdaq. Alt coins follow bitcoin, which appears to have been tracking the Nasdaq.

Just for clarification - I have a pension fund which I have been making substantial monthly contributions into. The over all value of that fund over the last 9 months has decreased. This is not a direct comparison especially as the over all timescales are completely different, however both investments reflect the poor state of the global investment market. In both cases I now have more units, but the value of each unit has declined.

I just don't think this reflects a disaster or a death spiral for crypto, however much some people wish it were so.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Magic beans suddenly not looking too clevor trevor. To buy the dip or bale out of the death spiral, that is the question...

You're asking for the patronising 'this is serious stuff, its the future, very sound investment, you don't know what you are talking about' reply. I prefer #1857 where poster mentions about staking money; that's where we are at.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hope everyones ok from Luna fallout, whole Terra ecosystem collapsing. saddest part is someone in crypto pulled this off and for about 1bn profit, crushing 20-30bn value to do so.

and before and gloating from the sides, there's stocks out there on 70-80% drops.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It's tanking the whole market now, not just restricted to LUNA/UST.

Luckily didn't have any of either of those, but still, not great!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I follow some of the stuff around meme stocks, never quite sure how much is conspiracy theory and how much is reality but sharing this here which popped up in one of the forums yesterday in case it's of interest. Citadel are the main fund accused by the meme stock crowd of manipulating the markets unfairly causing dips they profit from at the expense of normal investors and companies. Elon Musk among others hate them too for what they do to company value. Citadel are owned by Ken Griffin, who recently tried to buy Chelsea. One of the stories around the meme stocks at the moment is that the crash in crypto and the markets generally is partly down to hedge funds needing to generate liquidity for anticipated major failed margin calls. Some of the folks who publicly predicted and profited from the 2008 crash reckon we're heading for something much bigger and what we're seeing isn't a dip now, but a mass sell-off to anticipate what's coming - US national debt and money printing is at such a huge level they can't be bailed out this time like 2008, so need to find the money now, and fast. Pinch of salt, but reading some of the stuff the US SEC has themselves said about "dark pools" being abused by these funds for trading and preventing true price reflection of stocks in the market suggests there might be some truth to at least some of what is being said by some of the meme crowd. I've seen posts like this in Luna as well as Bitcoin and meme stock forums in the past 24 hours - doesn't mean it's true, but maybe of interest.

bitcoin.jpg

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I follow some of the stuff around meme stocks, never quite sure how much is conspiracy theory and how much is reality but sharing this here which popped up in one of the forums yesterday in case it's of interest. Citadel are the main fund accused by the meme stock crowd of manipulating the markets unfairly causing dips they profit from at the expense of normal investors and companies. Elon Musk among others hate them too for what they do to company value. Citadel are owned by Ken Griffin, who recently tried to buy Chelsea. One of the stories around the meme stocks at the moment is that the crash in crypto and the markets generally is partly down to hedge funds needing to generate liquidity for anticipated major failed margin calls. Some of the folks who publicly predicted and profited from the 2008 crash reckon we're heading for something much bigger and what we're seeing isn't a dip now, but a mass sell-off to anticipate what's coming - US national debt and money printing is at such a huge level they can't be bailed out this time like 2008, so need to find the money now, and fast. Pinch of salt, but reading some of the stuff the US SEC has themselves said about "dark pools" being abused by these funds for trading and preventing true price reflection of stocks in the market suggests there might be some truth to at least some of what is being said by some of the meme crowd. I've seen posts like this in Luna as well as Bitcoin and meme stock forums in the past 24 hours - doesn't mean it's true, but maybe of interest.

There is also this that I have seen today, posted by someone last year...

[tweet]1463960623402913797[/tweet]

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
With ETH up nearly 8% in 24hrs and my whole portfolio up 20% in a week, are we going to see a sustained pump?

My prediction is for some very nice gains for the HODLers in the coming weeks.

:facepalm:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I have literally no idea of what any of this involves, it really is a foreign language to me. Best of luck to any of you who’ve invested money in these things, I hope you all make a fortune. Good luck.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
BTC snuffed out all gains from 2021 with the low this evening. most tokens are looking at 70-90% loses from highs.

looking forward to teh next bull run.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
The only people losing money at the moment are those who don't really get Crypto.

I just advance part-rebuffed 63.4% of my pre-PMC stake in Froff by 0.4 YTP against its reverse defragging level using a KoYn crosstrade – the ERIS version of course. Happy to pass the tip onto others, just PM me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only people losing money at the moment are those who don't really get Crypto.

I just advance part-rebuffed 63.4% of my pre-PMC stake in Froff by 0.4 YTP against its reverse defragging level using a KoYn crosstrade – the ERIS version of course. Happy to pass the tip onto others, just PM me.

If 'getting' Crypto is understanding your second sentence in any shape or form - then I'm not getting it! :D The only thing I remember part-rebuffing was my mate's girlfriend's sister...

I'm just HODL at the moment hoping there is a bounce at some point. Thankfully had a bit of a spread across coins but some definitely look like disappearing for good.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have literally no idea of what any of this involves, it really is a foreign language to me. Best of luck to any of you who’ve invested money in these things, I hope you all make a fortune. Good luck.

In horse racing parlance, there are a load of people who've had the lot on at the wrong price and got chinned. Something I can relate to.

I work with a load of crypto geeks some of whom have made a load of cash by getting in very very early. One of them, was half a million up at one point. Unfortunately, greed took over and he's only taken a fraction of that out (he will be up). They were all trying to get me to buy VRA a few months back. This morning it is trading at 0.006004.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

can you post link to the whitepaper?

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
All of my crypto are now being staked off of the main platforms. Hoping the high APRs will begin to offset short-term losses

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The Dutch tulip bulb market bubble, also known as 'tulipmania' was one of the most famous market bubbles and crashes of all time. It occurred in Holland during the early to mid-1600s when speculation drove the value of tulip bulbs to extremes. At the height of the market, the rarest tulip bulbs traded for as much as six times the average person's annual salary.

Today, the tulipmania serves as a parable for the pitfalls that excessive greed and speculation can lead to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here