Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] The cryptocurrency (Bitcoin etc) thread

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm not a fan of it.

[tweet]1354338973934612480[/tweet]

Article paywalled, but summary tweet not.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Just shy of $44k, thanks to a steady climb back up before the news of Tesla buying $1.5bn of BTC and saying they plan to accept it as payment for their cars...

I wouldn't put it past Musk to have done this in the knowledge that the price would rocket - up roughly 15% already since the announcement...

Another step on the way to mainstream for BTC, or a publicity stunt / investment gamble from Musk?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Just shy of $44k, thanks to a steady climb back up before the news of Tesla buying $1.5bn of BTC and saying they plan to accept it as payment for their cars...

I wouldn't put it past Musk to have done this in the knowledge that the price would rocket - up roughly 15% already since the announcement...

Another step on the way to mainstream for BTC, or a publicity stunt / investment gamble from Musk?
It would be a strange publicity stunt. He's supposed to be in favour of cutting carbon emissions, not investing in the purest form of carbon emissions generation in the market.

I suspect it's a gamble that he hasn't thought through. Watch for the sell, fairly soon, with a public apology.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
This ponzi is going to zero.

Jokes aside expect a correction now. Alt market is on fire too.

It has made me a little twitchy today - I've converted nearly half of my BTC and ETH into Dai, expecting a drop (though I have a niggling doubt - maybe there's a 2nd spike coming as the Tesla news brings more newbs to the table).

Whatever happens, I'd be surprised if there isn't another opportunity to get back in at prices lower than today's within the next few weeks

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

bit of both. he's clearly an advocate, there's similarities between crypto and his original vision for payment service that became Paypal.

was fortunate enough to already be in for trade from last night, tea leafs showed a rise from 38k to 44k.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It has made me a little twitchy today - I've converted nearly half of my BTC and ETH into Dai, expecting a drop (though I have a niggling doubt - maybe there's a 2nd spike coming as the Tesla news brings more newbs to the table).

Whatever happens, I'd be surprised if there isn't another opportunity to get back in at prices lower than today's within the next few weeks
That's how Ponzi schemes work.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Just out of curiosity I put £30 into Coinbase a month ago, did the various 'free currency' quizzes which got it up to £50 with about 10 minutes' work.

Now sitting at £85, in about 8 different currencies. Not bad I'd say, and I don't really mind if I lose it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It would be a strange publicity stunt. He's supposed to be in favour of cutting carbon emissions, not investing in the purest form of carbon emissions generation in the market.

I suspect it's a gamble that he hasn't thought through. Watch for the sell, fairly soon, with a public apology.

Depends what's powering the CPUs.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I'm not a fan of it.

[tweet]1354338973934612480[/tweet]

Article paywalled, but summary tweet not.

Common sense is of limited use to you in the complex modern word and often unhelpful.

Please bear in mind;

You can mine bitcoin anywhere on the planet.
There are plenty of locations in the world with huge excesses of green energy, which it is not economical to transport.
Whilst the energy inputs are huge, there is also a strong economic incentive for pushing your energy costs close to zero.

There is a lot here to attract Musk, including the most efficient places on the planet to harvest energy, for an organisation heavily into energy storage and transportation, I can see how this might be of interest. Then you have the innovations driving compute power to its limits to mine the coins.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

He’s probably put on some kind of elaborate basis trade.

Be a bit ironic if he’s shorted it post GameStop.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Bitcoin price

Still a high possibility BTC revisits $25-28k. It needs to find the weekly 200 moving average at some point to give the trend some robust structure. Everyone on Twitter calling $100k again. Usually the very best indicator a drop is coming.

I’ve got a bag of DAI. The defi stuff is going to fly believe me. Got Coti too. And also looking at EOS as hasn’t joined the party yet and the chart looks great.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Still a high possibility BTC revisits $25-28k. It needs to find the weekly 200 moving average at some point to give the trend some robust structure. Everyone on Twitter calling $100k again. Usually the very best indicator a drop is coming.

I’ve got a bag of DAI. The defi stuff is going to fly believe me. Got Coti too. And also looking at EOS as hasn’t joined the party yet and the chart looks great.

Think I’ll stick to things I understand....

Implied vol all over the shop and if Musk can move it that much - sorry not for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Common sense is of limited use to you in the complex modern word and often unhelpful.

Please bear in mind;

You can mine bitcoin anywhere on the planet.
There are plenty of locations in the world with huge excesses of green energy, which it is not economical to transport.
Whilst the energy inputs are huge, there is also a strong economic incentive for pushing your energy costs close to zero.

There is a lot here to attract Musk, including the most efficient places on the planet to harvest energy, for an organisation heavily into energy storage and transportation, I can see how this might be of interest. Then you have the innovations driving compute power to its limits to mine the coins.

In the not too distant future we are going to have abundant cheap reusable energy. The technology will improve rapidly.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

looking back, btc stayed above 200MA for two and half years before 2017 peak. starting this cycle in Apr 2020 gives a bit of a runway yet. 100k is lowballing, some of wilder speculators are shooting for 400k. we'll see july/august is likely the peak regardless of other factors and signals.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
In the not too distant future we are going to have abundant cheap reusable energy. The technology will improve rapidly.

We have it now, just not always where we can use it, hence bitcoin miners, sitting on top of geothermal energy sources in sparsely populated remote places. This isn't the environmental doom story it may first appear was my point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here