Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The crowd this evening

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
We are getting more than we did on average during the 4 years in the top division 1979-83. During that time it went up to £3 for an adult. You'd have seen Bryan Robson, Rush, Dalgleish, Ardiles, Hoddle, Brooking, Marriner, Trevor Francis, Kevin Keegan [i think], Peter Shilton, Frank Stapleton, Andy Gray etc. Today's crowds are good. Though it's a large catchment area other towns/cities have traditionally had a much higher percentage of the population following them. Obviously I wish it was still 30k every home game but don't panic.
Oh and there was footy on telly last night which they did not have to compete with back in the day!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
There are two underground type machines already at Falmer which are left open on a matchday. It causes congestion already because of the density of the crowd walking through them, even though there is an open gate as well.
I travel from an unmanned station so nobody is going to check my ticket at the start of the journey. Your thinking is far too simplistic.
To be fair me old mucker...The station is way to small anyway and that's the main issue that needs to be addressed.How many buses do we get available after matches?Maybe we don't have enough of those that make a quick exit,also we really need more parking near the stadium aswell.

Lots to improve on,but it can easily be done :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To be fair me old mucker...The station is way to small anyway and that's the main issue that needs to be addressed.How many buses do we get available after matches?Maybe we don't have enough of those that make a quick exit,also we really need more parking near the stadium aswell.

Lots to improve on,but it can easily be done :)

Easily done? It took two years and a lot of money to get the platforms lengthened. How much money do you think the club should spend building this bigger station etc?

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
The fall in attendances is due to the fact that going to watch at The Amex has not been a very pleasurable experience on the whole for the past 18 months or so.

Lots of frustrating draws and defeats in low-scoring matches and often boring keep-ball with our best attacking players watching from the bench until the 70th minute...

Sami has changed all of that and if the goals and results start to follow then the crowds will quickly return to 26K+.

The atmosphere and amount of singing was great last night until Stockdale unfortunately stuck a pin in it (loved Mullers' candour at half-time BTW). If we had gone on to score a second and third then the place would have been rocking last night. I know it is a big "IF", but you are allowed to score two or three goals at home...
To be fair still getting 20.000 0n a week night , is still incredible and were not up the top either !!!
:)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Easily done? It took two years and a lot of money to get the platforms lengthened. How much money do you think the club should spend building this bigger station etc?
It's a long term plan:)
The club currently recieve's roughly £700,000 a season from ST holders for transport.I would suspect they get charged a lot more than that per season,but that's a guess of cause.Is it not possible for the expansion of falmer station to be paid for by the transport provider?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a long term plan:)
The club currently recieve's roughly £700,000 a season from ST holders for transport.I would suspect they get charged a lot more than that per season,but that's a guess of cause.Is it not possible for the expansion of falmer station to be paid for by the transport provider?

The club pay a 7 figure number for transport so over a million. You can ask Network Rail, but I doubt that you would get anywhere.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
The club pay a 7 figure number for transport so over a million. You can ask Network Rail, but I doubt that you would get anywhere.
So clearly we're losing at least £500,000 roughly a season just on the transport levy.
Over the years that's a lot of money we're losing and no doubt will need to be looked at...I still think it needs to be scrapped.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Belated comment, but going by the TV highlights of the goals on Tuesday night, there were vast swathes of empty seats in areas that are normally mainly full e.g. the original North Stand areas.

I wonder if the number who actually attended on Tuesday was significantly less than 20,000?

(Causes of this further fall - CL football on TV, a midweek game, the team can't buy a league win and rarely score).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So clearly we're losing at least £500,000 roughly a season just on the transport levy...I still think it needs to be scrapped.

This. The Odeon doesn't pay your bus fare to the cinema. Much of the Albion's transport levy just duplicates people's rail/bus ST's anyways, so that's just money down the drain. Maybe it doesn't need to be scrapped, but it needs to be more TAILORED. And transport costs need to be factored in by the person attending the leisure pursuit of their choice, same as as in any other walk of life.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
We allowed a couple of those seats to be empty, I have an 11 and 8 year old getting to bed at 10.30 is too late for them on a school night, unfortunately I couldn't convince any mates to go either. There are too many midweek games, and the lads miss 6-8 home games a year.

Not sure why I got a thumbs down for this, but hey, just my thoughts. Bad fan that I am having never down anything for the club.

Drat just tried to Thumbs Down my own post but couldn't!

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
For me it's not about being a fair-weather fan, and not attending because the team is not doing well. I've attended 90% of games in a season when we have been fighting relegation in the lower leagues. It's more about the fact that we have let our best players go - as soon as Bridcutt went each player could see that if they had a club interested in them we would sell. I know we got decent money for Ulloa, and Buckley was injury-prone, and also the old adage that you can't hold onto a player who wants to leave (you can, it just takes some balls), but we just seem to be trying to do everything on the cheap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here