Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

THE Cricket (Notts v Sussex, Losers v Losers)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
pevenseagull said:
I hope it goes on for a few hours, I've got an afternoon down the pub tomorrow

:lolol:

a few drinks at a mates for me...but i'd probably rather we didn't make it hard for ourselves!

:drink: :drink:

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
pevenseagull said:
I hope it goes on for a few hours, I've got an afternoon down the pub tomorrow

So do I. Piers and I have got to convince Trig to stay in Nottingham on the lash. If it's over, they might go home :(

:drink: :drink: :drink:

:mushy: :mushy2:

larus

Bulletin from Cricinfo - says it all really.

Mushtaq Ahmed put Sussex within touching distance of the Championship at Trent Bridge. He was central to Nottinghamshire's first innings collapse and is threatening to turn the follow-on into a one-man show. His four wickets left the home side in tatters and Sussex within sight of glory.

Eight wickets in the day takes Mushtaq's tally to 97 for the season and with the pitch assisting the spinners, and Nottinghamshire's batting providing feeble resistance, the odds are on him claiming a ton for the second time in three seasons. It would be a richly deserved landmark.

He has mesmerised batsmen all season, especially with the googly, and Nottinghamshire didn't really have much idea how to combat him. David Alleyne was his first victim of the day, beaten by a ball that skidded through, but Nottinghamshire had progressed to the relative comfort of 143 for 3 shortly before tea. Then the innings imploded.

They lost 4 for 1 before the interval, beginning with Samit Patel edging Robin Martin-Jenkins to first slip, but it was Mushtaq who was central to the collapse. He beat Mark Ealham with a ripping googly, then had Stephen Fleming - batting down the order with a finger injury - taken at slip off the back of the bat from an attempted sweep. Martin-Jenkins nipped in again as David Hussey edged to slip and Nottinghamshire were in tatters.

In the final session the tail blocked and propped as the last seven wickets tumbled for 22. Not only was Mushtaq spinning the ball sharply, but Jason Lewry and Rana Naved found reverse swing. Adams was left with a simple decision to ask Nottinghamshire to bat again.

While the seamers had played their part in knocking the top off the first innings, second time around was all down to Mushtaq. Adams turned to him quickly as the light began to fail and the procession of batsmen heading back to the pavilion resumed.

Will Smith was trapped on the back foot by a low googly, Alleyne was snapped up brilliantly at silly point and Fleming's miserable match continued when another wrong 'un was edged to slip. Then came the end of a distinguished career when Darren Bicknell was given out to a bat-pad catch, although he was far from happy as he trudged off and gave the crowd one final salute.

Among all Mushtaq's mayhem, Nottinghamshire were being dragged into the relegation fight. At the start of the day they knew one wicket would confirm their first division safety, but Martin-Jenkins and Matt Prior flayed the attack in a stand of 140 before Adams declared 20 minutes before lunch.

With their first innings folding they finished the match with just one bonus point and there were nervy glances towards Headingley where Yorkshire are taking on Durham in a relegation clash. If Durham reach 400 and draw the match they survive along with Yorkshire, but a late collapse for them should ensure Nottinghamshire's safety despite a horror day.

However, nothing should distract from Mushtaq. He may have missed out on a Pakistan recall during their summer tour but, given a fine day on Friday, he will be celebrating Sussex's second Championship title. It will be a team triumph but no one deserves it more that Mushy.

:mushy2:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well just a what day yesterday was at Trent Bridge,one of the best £12 i have ever spent. :clap: Superb all round team display from start to finish. :clap2: :albion:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What do Sussex have to do to win the league. The bbc website says that it's 14 points for a win and seven for a draw, with a maximum of five batting points and three bowling points.

Sussex started the game 8 points clear of Lancashire and have achieved maximum bonus points-furthering their lead on lancs to 16 points. So if they draw then they'll get another 7points which will put them 23 ahead of lancs, no? The most lancashire can get is 22 points so a draw should be good enough? But the bbc website says we HAVE TO win to win the title. What's that about?

Oct 25, 2003
garry nelsons left foot said:
What do Sussex have to do to win the league. The bbc website says that it's 14 points for a win and seven for a draw, with a maximum of five batting points and three bowling points.

Sussex started the game 8 points clear of Lancashire and have achieved maximum bonus points-furthering their lead on lancs to 16 points. So if they draw then they'll get another 7points which will put them 23 ahead of lancs, no? The most lancashire can get is 22 points so a draw should be good enough? But the bbc website says we HAVE TO win to win the title. What's that about?

if they win this match they've won the league, regardless of what lancs do

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
just seen the weather forcast for today, it aint looking good :down:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol

A draw is only worth 4 points, its a tie that is worth 7. So with lancs getting maximum bonus points a simple win for Sussex is what is needed. Forecast not great for this morning but should be clearing was what I saw yesterday.

There should be enough time in the game for them to win. They should really only need 1 full session to finish them off.

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Guinness Dave said:
just seen the weather forcast for today, it aint looking good :down:

Pissed it down over night. Very dull at present, no dark clouds though. If I look out of my office window, I can just about make out Trent Bridge, through the trees. People already arriving for the action

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Its 7 for a tie, 4 for a draw

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Not really fussed about the cricket now... the Ryder Cup has started. I guess it would be nice if we can win, but it would only be a consolation after clearly being second best all season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am not happy about the 'NEW SUSSEX CHAMPIONS' thing. Please, please delete it NOW, until the title is secured.

If it rains in Nottimgham for the next two days it will be YOUR FAULT. :angry: :angry:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Seriously - that is far too "could all spectators keep of the pitch so Sam and the lads can do a lap of honour" - please, no.

Last edited:

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
hans kraay fan club said:
I am not happy about the 'NEW SUSSEX CHAMPIONS' thing. Please, please delete it NOW, until the title is secured.

If it rains in Nottimgham for the next two days it will be YOUR FAULT. :angry: :angry:

Better?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
:lolol: :lolol: perfect!:clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here