Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Coronavirus plan, Stan

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
One of the lead authors on the Imperial College team, Neil Ferguson, suspects he has the virus himself.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
One of the lead authors on the Imperial College team, Neil Ferguson, suspects he has the virus himself.
He was on the radio 4 today show yesterday - coughing away. I thought he sounded like he had the virus at the time.

He phoned into them today saying that he has indeed got it.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Have you even read [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s post?

Jesus Christ. This for once ISNT political points scoring territory with ANY of the policy it’s actually listening to the science.

Close schools/universities and release social distancing at your peril. You just wait until China and Italy think they have this under control and watch for that second wave to hit.

Read the science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

All data should be read with common sense. But do carry on

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
WHO special envoy "welcomes" new UK measures

A World Health Organisation special envoy on the coronavirus welcomed Boris Johnson's decision to advise greater social distancing to tackle the pandemic.

Dr David Nabarro told BBC Radio 4's Today programme [this morning 18 March]: "The thinking about the possibility of further more severe outbreaks coming later was perfectly valid, however as it became clear how quickly the virus has been advancing in other European countries a shift in position was absolutely right.

"I'm really pleased this has happened. And I would like to stress that in every other country positions are having to be shifted as we know more about the outbreak.

"We are just dealing with something that's so new with so many things we don't know that we have to be prepared for a change in tack from time to time even though it's distressing."

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Have you even read [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s post?

Jesus Christ. This for once ISNT political points scoring territory with ANY of the policy it’s actually listening to the science.

Close schools/universities and release social distancing at your peril. You just wait until China and Italy think they have this under control and watch for that second wave to hit.

Read the science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

All data should be read with common sense. But do carry on

Oh look! What a surprise. Schools shut down of their own accord. Up steps Bozo to say schools should shut.

Look where the crowd is running, get in front and shout follow me.

Oh for some leadership. Never mind eh, the gullible still think that's acceptable leadership. What a screwed up world/country

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh look! What a surprise. Schools shut down of their own accord. Up steps Bozo to say schools should shut.

Oh for some leadership. Never mind eh, the gullible still think that's acceptable leadership. What a screwed up world/country

Congratulations. You are indeed a Horses Arse.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Except, once again, they have shirked any and all responsibility by only half shutting them. Some children will still need to attend if their parents are ‘key workers’ (still waiting on clarification on that one!). My concern is that parents who can’t afford to take time off or can’t work from home will simply send their children to school as normal. Total lack of leadership in my opinion.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I find it incredible that people are still trying to make political mileage out of this. We have some of the best medical and scientific minds in the world advising the Government on how best to handle this crisis. It’s time we unify and come together to get through this and save the vitriol for Brexit.
I find it incredible the people just suck
up what they are fed. It's not political, it is common sense.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Canada nailed it. No surprise.

Let's see how they fare compared to us.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sticking to the graph at the beginning of the thread. And as the one of the scientists agreed today, the spike is rising a lot quicker than they’d anticipated. Schools have closed a lot earlier than the model suggested.

I’ve seen nothing to suggest we won’t follow Italy’s curve very closely. That’s incredibly upsetting.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Sticking to the graph at the beginning of the thread. And as the one of the scientists agreed today, the spike is rising a lot quicker than they’d anticipated. Schools have closed a lot earlier than the model suggested.

I’ve seen nothing to suggest we won’t follow Italy’s curve very closely. That’s incredibly upsetting.

How exactly are you plotting us on that graph at this current moment in time?

Are you aware of how many critical care beds / 100k we are currently at? If so, please share.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Except, once again, they have shirked any and all responsibility by only half shutting them. Some children will still need to attend if their parents are ‘key workers’ (still waiting on clarification on that one!). My concern is that parents who can’t afford to take time off or can’t work from home will simply send their children to school as normal. Total lack of leadership in my opinion.

How are they going to send their children to school if they aren't categorized as key workers!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
How exactly are you plotting us on that graph at this current moment in time?

Are you aware of how many critical care beds / 100k we are currently at? If so, please share.

“From this you can see why school closures have not been implemented yet, but at the point the orange line keeps climbing towards NHS capacity, closing schools will then curb transmission and keep demands on the NHS below breaking point.”

The model suggests that is about the 10th April. Vallance suggested the rate of infection is a lot quicker than expected today.

“From there you can see things are "in control" for want of a better description, until such time a schools return then a second wave comes along and it all goes crazy.”

I would suggest that things are now completely out of control and not following the model as the school closure was set for three weeks. The rate of infection in this country is now truly scary.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
“From this you can see why school closures have not been implemented yet, but at the point the orange line keeps climbing towards NHS capacity, closing schools will then curb transmission and keep demands on the NHS below breaking point.”

The model suggests that is about the 10th April. Vallance suggested the rate of infection is a lot quicker than expected today.

“From there you can see things are "in control" for want of a better description, until such time a schools return then a second wave comes along and it all goes crazy.”

I would suggest that things are now completely out of control and not following the model as the school closure was set for three weeks. The rate of infection in this country is now truly scary.

To me that indicates we are ahead of the timeline, but not behind in signalling action.

Your posts are insighting unnecessary panic with unsubstantiated claims.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

On the bright side (barely..) I think they knew the "spike" would come a lot earlier. Several members on this board made the math and understood schools wouldnt be open for that long, and surely Imperial College & the goverment knew about this as well - they just wanted to avoid panic, they just couldnt say "7-10 or so we're talking thousands of IC patients". It would be chaos.

Surely they knew. Just like they know every country sooner or later needs to go full Italy in terms of isolation, but cant say it loud because of the high risk of chaos.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Your posts are insighting unnecessary panic with unsubstantiated claims.

That is your right to call me out on that and I hope I am wrong but plotting infection rate on this website seems to show the same curve as Italy. In cricket terms, the runs per over rate is very similar.

Italy 2,502 cases 71 deaths (March 3rd)
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....f-schools-and-universities-due-to-coronavirus

UK 2,626 cases 104 deaths (March 18th)
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tly-saying-350bn-loangrant-package-not-enough

Take a look at the stats on here and by all means, reassure me that we are not tracking Italy almost exactly? When will the curve flatten?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i take it you supported the current policy of keeping them open for children of working parents. has there been an alternative proposal for children of key workers?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
How are they going to send their children to school if they aren't categorized as key workers!

Because schools don’t keep a record of parents professions and anyone who can’t afford to take time off or can’t work from home could easily abuse the system. And even if of schools did hold records on parent and guardian professions, it has yet be clarified what a ‘key worker’ actually is. Somethings, I suppose, are a given, nhs staff, police, fire service, teachers etc but Johnson also mentioned delivery drivers and shop workers as well as previously mentioning cleaners. Moreover, it also includes those children whose parents cannot take time off work... nice and ambiguous, much like the rest of the government’s response during this troubling period.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here