Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes, the number of deaths is still terrible and the situation in care homes unfortunately seems to be similar to the rest of Europe :( but the positives are, we are winning this battle the numbers across the board are coming down. I think it would help the government if they reviewed the lockdown on a weekly basis, three weekly at this stage is too long.

My biggest worry with the app is that people won’t download it, I know data protection is a big deal to many but it’s so important that as many people as possible download it. Apparently over 50% of the IOW population have downloaded it so let’s hope the trial is successful, assurances must be made to people about their data because I do understand the paranoia around it.

Agree with all that ...steady as she goes

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This chart gives you a much clearer idea of the downward trend, the number of deaths announced every day isn’t a true reflection, although even if you go from the 626 today we have halved our peak. Also bare in mind most deaths are added with a one day lag so today’s bar isn’t reliable.

E3BF4E71-46ED-48D2-9425-6170FAA249DD.png
7540C8D3-F2C1-4252-BF5B-C57F66F0E0B9.jpeg

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
My biggest worry with the app is that people won’t download it, I know data protection is a big deal to many but it’s so important that as many people as possible download it. Apparently over 50% of the IOW population have downloaded it so let’s hope the trial is successful, assurances must be made to people about their data because I do understand the paranoia around it.

Sorry, I know this isn't what this thread is about but it's a dangerous app and people shouldn't download it for reasons that go beyond the data protection problems.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No collaboration, centralised, not even a cursory nod to gdpr rules, not open source, no explanation of the theory and technical approach...that's before you analyse the track record of the people behind it and the contract tendering

Won’t even use it if it stops you or a vulnerable person getting the virus? I will be downloading it, I have vulnerable relatives and should restrictions be eased so I can see them again if using this app reduces the chance of me giving some a potentially lethal virus by even 1% I couldn’t care less if the government trace my every step, they’ll get bored pretty fast.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Won’t even use it if it stops you or a vulnerable person getting the virus? I will be downloading it, I have vulnerable relatives and should restrictions be eased so I can see them again if using this app reduces the chance of me giving some a potentially lethal virus by even 1% I couldn’t care less if the government trace my every step, they’ll get bored pretty fast.

I could get on to how it won't work and mention the tracing app that already exists, if you'd like?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I could get on to how it won't work and mention the tracing app that already exists, if you'd like?

With respect, no I wouldn’t. I will be downloading it for the reasons prescribed and you won’t I don’t think it’s worth derailing the thread for, agree to disagree.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It also massively drains the battery on iPhones I understand. That may just be a nuisance to some, but to most I’m sure it’ll be a deciding factor (even before you get to the dodgy characters behind the app)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It also massively drains the battery on iPhones I understand. That may just be a nuisance to some, but to most I’m sure it’ll be a deciding factor (even before you get to the dodgy characters behind the app)

Might help save thousands of lives and might help speed up a return to normality significantly

Vs

Battery life might go down a bit quicker

****. It’s a real toughie, isn’t it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Slovakia today

3910 tests
0 new infections

Slovenia also doing very well.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Spain 721 new cases, continues to stay stable and even fall slightly. (2666 new cases reported due to antibodies testing)

I am beginning to wonder if this virus has a ‘life span’ as has been muted by some scientists and researchers, if you look at most countries the cases begin to die out between 60-90 days whether there is a harsh lockdown or not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here