[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Apologies all. I sometimes forget that this is the can't-handle-the-reality thread.

i think you fundamentally have misunderstood the purpose of this thread. It isn't about denying the reality of the situation at all, its simply to highlight that in the torrent of bad news, and doom mongering by the national press, and social media, which have gone out of the way to put a negative spin on everything, there is in fact other news that is worth highlighting AS WELL,

An example of this would be that for 4 or 5 days the number of infections is falling, that its quite possible that the exit and third waves (effectively concurrent) may not be as bad as feared they may be, or that at a similar point in the second wave, deaths were running into high triple figures a day, rather than the comparatively very small numbers we are seeing, or that similarly instead of hospitals full of covid patients, and ICUs full, these numbers are also a fraction of previous waves. The list is quite long, however if you were to look at main stream media, most of it is burried away.

All this thread does, and has ever tried to do, is provide a bit of balance. Had the "media" presented a balanced view, rather than constantly deliberately confusing issues, presenting the facts and figures, scientific and medical opinion in the most alarming way possible, and treating the whole thing as a way to frighten the population and score political points then the thread would not be needed.

I doubt a single poster and regular reader of this thread thinks for a second there isnt still a massive issue, and isnt aware that there is a long long way to go and that things could go very wrong, very quickly. Similarly they also realise that there are some encouraging signs, and that it is actually quite ok to look at them and discuss them on here.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We’re at over 8,000 posts in this thread and some people still don’t get it.

:nono:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
34 year old Anti-Vaxxer dies of Covid:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57958358

Whilst a sad tragedy in itself, this might convince younger people around the globe to get the jab, hopefully in this country.

Stuff like this is genuine good news. Everytime one of these prominent and influential Covid deniers or anti-vax nutters ends up in a bad way or worse, it saves far more lives than the one lost.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Stuff like this is genuine good news. Everytime one of these prominent and influential Covid deniers or anti-vax nutters ends up in a bad way or worse, it saves far more lives than the one lost.

Although it doesn't feel right to celebrate any death, its a classic case of the Darwin theory of natural selection.

D

Deleted member 2719

Pretty likely that the Euro 2020 spike has just worked it's way through the case numbers.

Maybe, but I would have thought it would filter down slower than that, because of family members catching it and all the NON-self isolators spraying it around.

Unleash french kissing again?:drool:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Apologies all. I sometimes forget that this is the can't-handle-the-reality thread.

[tweet]1419315251686871040[/tweet]

here is a perfect example of why this thread is needed. Todays figures have been public for about an hour. There is (if my maths is right) a massive FORTY % drop since in new cases since last Sunday. Had this been a 40% rise you can bet it would have been all over the news web pages and BBC alerts sent out. As it is, there is NOTHING on the BBC News website page at all.

This is NOT the "can't handle reality thread" its the "lets see the actual reality" thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports