[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Good news, in that we can actively help:

Might be worth signing up to this if a minute of our lives each day helps then good news and it is genuine not another data harvester.

COIVID Symptom Tracker lets everyone share valuable information on the spread and infection.

http://covid.joinzoe.com

Very much worth bouncing this, and urging people to use it. The data here https://covid.joinzoe.com/data is interesting too - eg. in Brighton and Hove, 14000 people are contributing, and 4% of those (50/60?) have symptoms (though obviously that doesn't mean they have 'it').

Knowledge is power, people, knowledge is power.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Good news - Sainsbury’s will no longer allow couples to shop together. In normal times I’d be ecstatic not to have to go shopping with the missus - but in current circumstances, shopping is the highlight of my week, so we’ll be fighting over it.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Is it that one test shows only if you currently have it while the other shows if you’ve had it and got over it?

So those with antibodies (i.e. those who have had it without knowing and recovered) show up as negative on the “has this person got CV” test. They only show as positive if you do the specific antibody test that was done in Iceland, Italy etc...

No. The antibody tests, or at least some of them, detect the three antibodies present at different points during the infection and therefore can work both during and after.

There's a good graph here:

https://www.biopanda.co.uk/php/products/rapid/infectious_diseases/covid19.php

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
While the death toll in Italy rose to over 15,000, the head of the country's civil protection signalled some positive news - the number of patients in intensive care fell for the first time. The daily reported number of deaths has been falling gradually in the past eight days

Another 674 people have died in Spain in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of deaths to 12,4189.

It is the lowest daily death toll in over a week, and represents a fall of 135 from yesterday's toll of 809.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52171176

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
While the death toll in Italy rose to over 15,000, the head of the country's civil protection signalled some positive news - the number of patients in intensive care fell for the first time. The daily reported number of deaths has been falling gradually in the past eight days

Another 674 people have died in Spain in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of deaths to 12,4189.

It is the lowest daily death toll in over a week, and represents a fall of 135 from yesterday's toll of 809.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52171176

Numbers of deaths also dropping in Spain.
The lockdowns take a while, as we knew they would, but they do work.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It may well be, but they’re interviewing a doctor and it was Tweeted by another doctor.

Tweeted by am doctor with her head up Trump’s arse.

I’d like it to be true, but I have a feeling it’s Fox propaganda to try and make Trump look better as he first mentioned this drug a couple of weeks back. The research from elsewhere in the world has been much less enthusiastic.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hard to see deaths as a positive ....but a trend SEEMS to be developing in Italy

Perhaps more encouraging is the drop in people in hospital or requiring intensive care
BREAKING
Italy daily deaths lowest in two weeks
There has been some positive news coming from Italy, which has reported more deaths from Covid-19 than any country.

In Sunday's briefing, the head of Italy's Civil Protection said that 525 people had died in the previous 24 hours - the lowest daily figure since 19 March.

He added that there had also been a drop in the number of people in hospital or requiring intensive care.

Almost 129,000 people have been infected since the outbreak reached Italy, and a total of 15,887 have died.

Last edited:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Hard to see deaths as a positive ....but a trend SEEMS to be developing in Italy

Perhaps more encouraging is the drop in people in hospital or requiring intensive care
BREAKING
Italy daily deaths lowest in two weeks
There has been some positive news coming from Italy, which has reported more deaths from Covid-19 than any country.

In Sunday's briefing, the head of Italy's Civil Protection said that 525 people had died in the previous 24 hours - the lowest daily figure since 19 March.

He added that there had also been a drop in the number of people in hospital or requiring intensive care.

Almost 129,000 people have been infected since the outbreak reached Italy, and a total of 15,887 have died.

How our realities have shifted.
Only 525 people died in Italy yesterday of a virus that almost none of us had heard about 16 weeks ago is seen as good news.
I'm not having a pop at you, or the fact that it does seem to be a real improvement - just shaking my head at what constitutes good news nowadays, due to the situation we are all in.
And to think that just a few weeks ago we were worried about who was on the bench, who was playing up front etc.
Strange times indeed.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
How our realities have shifted.
Only 525 people died in Italy yesterday of a virus that almost none of us had heard about 16 weeks ago is seen as good news.
I'm not having a pop at you, or the fact that it does seem to be a real improvement - just shaking my head at what constitutes good news nowadays, due to the situation we are all in.
And to think that just a few weeks ago we were worried about who was on the bench, who was playing up front etc.
Strange times indeed.

You’re 100% right in what you say, but I think we all have to accept that the baseline of normality has moved. I’m 34 years old and all I know is peacetime; my elderly parents are baby boomers and all they know is peacetime too. I grew up with stories of the war from my grandparents, but with no way to anchor it in my own reality it was hard to register it as anything other than intriguing fiction.

I think I first used the WWII analogy in mid-Feb, when it began to become apparent that there may be a problem on the way. My point turned out to be massively misguided; that our grandparents faced death and destruction but continued to go about their daily lives, and their work, because to win the war we had to keep the economy going. I argued we should don the British stiff upper lip, accept ‘some’ death, and carry on. I recognise now how wrong I was in taking that perspective. But, alas, parallels remain.

The worst I’ve been through in this country is watching, from a distance, terrorist attacks that took double-digit lives. Each one was shocking; often heartbreaking. Today 621 people died at the hands of the coronavirus. Yesterday it was more than 700. “708 today, love” I casually uttered to my wife yesterday, not wanting my kids to understand the context of the number.

But that’s where we are. No bombs are dropping, we are not at war. But we can no longer call this ‘peacetime’. Who, in this country today, is at peace? Perhaps we need another word to describe this era, but it’s not ‘normal’. This is temporary, but we are living in historic times. Grit your teeth. We, we will get through this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As per the above posts ...the same guy ..there are caveats and yes he is just one ‘expert’ but a relevant one for this thread

Words by Professor Karol Sikora, consultant oncologist

Every day I am bombarded with hundreds of tweets all asking the same question: "When will the lockdown end?"

To be honest, I don’t know. Nobody does and this is the problem. In a society so used to quick fixes and omniscient search engines, the coronavirus has turned the world on its head. Epidemiologists don’t know the answer, oncologists don’t know the answer and most importantly neither do the Prime Minister or Health Minister.

Rarely do I feel sorry for politicians, but they are making life and death decisions in areas they know little about, with only extremely vague data to go on. It is all too easy to criticise their approach. I have my own reservations but this is uncharted territory for everyone.
NHS drive-through testing centre.
NHS drive-through testing centre. Credit: PA
For some, the lockdown has caused minimal disruption. I’m able to work with relative ease from home, after a brief wrestle with the technology, I can effectively communicate with my patients. It has cut down on travel time, my dog has had more attention than he knows what to do with, and my wife hasn’t got too tetchy with me yet.

But, unfortunately for others it hasn’t been so easy. Businesses are closed – some never to recover; people are being laid off and stress is rising. Every commentator agrees the lockdown has to end as soon as possible, but when and how are the total unknowns.

One thing is for sure however, the measures are working. Earlier this week the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine estimated that before the lockdown one positive person would infect 2.6 other people, now that number is just 0.62.
Stay at home now and the lockdown could be lifted by May.
Stay at home now and the lockdown could be lifted by May. Credit: PA
Brits told to stay home on sunny weekend to stop virus spread
Going on holiday not a good enough excuse to travel, say police
Scientists get very excited about this value – the R0. Most experts agree that the coronavirus has an R0 of around 2.6, meaning one corona-positive patient will infect on average 2.6 other people.

This may not sound like much, but over a population that number quickly grows. By forcing the R0 below one means the virus runs out of hosts to infect and it burns out. The lockdown is starving it of healthy bodies to infect and so the infection rate will fall. This has happened in Spain and Italy and it will happen here.

So the question is how do we release the lockdown and keep the R0 below 1? I’m more optimistic than most and have been willing to put rough dates on my caveated timeline.

Assuming there is no mutation of the virus and people remain compliant with the strict social distancing measures I believe starting in early May we can begin to return to some normality.
Life is slowly getting back to normal in South Korea.
Life is slowly getting back to normal in South Korea. Credit: AP
We currently have around 40,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the UK, but that figure is almost useless. We could times that figure by ten and still be a long way short. Without effective widespread virus and antibody testing, it could be anywhere between 0.5 and 30 million - or more.

Once it gets to more than half of the population, the virus has nowhere to go – the great phrase herd immunity kicks in. Getting a proper handle on the number already infected needs to be an urgent priority for the Government -ordering 17.5 million of these tests is a hugely encouraging start.

April is going to be a tough month. Cases, hospitalisations and deaths will rise, with the most upsetting death tolls coming around the 20th. It is going to be a stormy few weeks - but we will get through it.

By May, I hope the situation will have improved. If the antibody testing shows that the virus has spread far more widely than first estimated, businesses and shops can start to get back on their feet.

The strict social distancing measures could be relaxed and life will feel a lot more normal.
People are allowed to undertake one form of daily exercise.
People are allowed to undertake one form of daily exercise. Credit: PA
Parts of Asia have led the way in demonstrating how to beat back the virus. I read a piece from a Donegal man living in Seoul who was enjoying the South Korean nightlife with most bars and restaurants back to normal, albeit with widespread mask wearing and extra hand sanitiser. He was enjoying himself far more than his friends in Dublin.

If everyone behaves themselves now, there is no reason why we shouldn’t be able to get our pubs and restaurants open in time for summer. With large gatherings and international travel resuming shortly afterwards, by the height of summer the current lockdown will feel like a long time ago.

Faced with a choice between hope and fear, I choose hope every day of the week. I’ve treated cancer patients for almost 50 years now - you learn very quickly that fear will eat you from the inside. We have to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and there is one.

By the summer I hope to be back to seeing my patients face-to-face, leaving at home a very relieved wife and a slightly lonelier dog.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No. of deaths in the UK drop again....430 in 24 hours to 5pm yesterday.

Encouraging trend, however we have seen dips for each of the past 3 weekends. I’m anticipating we’ll climb again and see our peak at some point in the coming week, a highest day of perhaps 800-850?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We have seen dips for each of the past 3 weekends, I would expect we’ll climb again and see our peak at some point in the coming week, a highest day of perhaps 800-850?

This is true but I am still hoping against hope that the downward trend will continue. :smile:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is true but I am still hoping against hope that the downward trend will continue. :smile:

I would be delighted if we have already hit our peak, just feels a little early in lockdown for me...

Next couple of days numbers could give us a good idea...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports