Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
What’s particularly exciting is all this real world data showing 90% plus protection against infection. That’s our way out right there, and it seems to be far better than even the most optimistic scientist ever suggested might be possible.

All the while, murmurs of potential vaccine escape from variants appear to be dissipating. There’s always an element of ‘we don’t know what we don’t know’ and I respect that, but based on the facts at our disposal today it now purely appears to be a case of getting vaccines to the people. I know that’s a herculean task in itself, particularly for developing countries with massive populations like India, but it’s incredible progress from where we were a year ago. Marvellous.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What’s particularly exciting is all this real world data showing 90% plus protection against infection. That’s our way out right there, and it seems to be far better than even the most optimistic scientist ever suggested might be possible.

All the while, murmurs of potential vaccine escape from variants appear to be dissipating. There’s always an element of ‘we don’t know what we don’t know’ and I respect that, but based on the facts at our disposal today it now purely appears to be a case of getting vaccines to the people. I know that’s a herculean task in itself, particularly for developing countries with massive populations like India, but it’s incredible progress from where we were a year ago. Marvellous.

Indeed. It's fascinating and extremely encouraging at the moment to see how the smaller nations with good vacc programmes are doing as they are essentially pilots for the rest of the world (and being selfish, the UK in particular where we aren't so far behind in the jabbing.......the data available today from Qatar and Israel, added to that from Gibraltar seen already, is immensely positive in terms of infections, serious illness, deaths and dealing with the variants. Good news today also on the likely removal of patents on some of the vaccines to allow cheaper local production, particularly in poorer countries.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Absolutely. There is a long way to go, but to have already administered 629.6m vaccines globally (source - howmanyvaccinated.com) from a standing start is nothing short of breathtaking.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
COVID-19: First nationwide data from Israel shows 95% protection from infection after two doses of Pfizer jab

This was precisely the figure I was told when I had my second jab today.

I've also received an invitation to take part in the REACT COVID-19 study, which I shall take up as in my opinion it is vital to get as much data as possible.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
England PCR test positivity has now dropped to the lowest level recorded since the start of the pandemic (0.7%).

https://twitter.com/coronavirusgoo1/status/1390326073150279686?s=21

It’s been a long time, but fewer than 1,000 beds are now occupied by confirmed COVID-19 patients in England.

Today’s figure is 976 - the lowest seen since 16 September (929).

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1390320368963948552?s=21

Ignoring the five most recent days’ data (which is likely to be incomplete), the rolling seven-day average of daily UK COVID-19 deaths “by date of death” is now 11.

The average was 19 just one week earlier - so a sharp decrease.

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1390323264367517700?s=21

51,225,890 doses of COVID-19 vaccine have now been administered in the United Kingdom.

+543,323 doses in the latest 24hr period.

34,934,171 people have received their first dose, with 16,291,719 of those having a second dose (fully vaccinated).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies if this has been posted before, but I don't recall it. Zero covid cases in Gibraltar (100% vaccinated) for three weeks in a row.

Vaccines are wonderful.

I have been telling anyone who will listen that if you got a jab when you were well, and avoided being infected over the following week, you would be vaccinated. All this crap in the media about the vaccine mainly only lowering symproms and the ability to spread the virus is based on the fallacy of taking a population with a binary characteristic and taking an average. Like the 2.3 children we all had in the 70s.

If you got a jab when you were infected but symptomless (yet) or got infected in the days following the jab (and in London there was a great risk of this, probably ooop north too) then you could have been recorded as someone in whom vaccination had 'failed'. This then falsely informed the statistic that the vaccine doesn't always work and may be protective in only 60-80% (make up a number of your choosing) of those jabbed.

Stats are just numbers. Their implication is not open to intepretation. It is open to appropriate inference and inappropriate inference. Of this I am 110% certain.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Canada becomes the first country to authorise a COVID-19 vaccine for use in children, initially for 12 to 15 year olds.

E4FF011D-FE99-4392-8B31-EE4D8ECB73F6.png

Jul 7, 2003
52 and been invited for my second jab today - seems like they are really getting ahead with this.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...usters-found-across-england-ongoing-risk-high

There's an article here which reads like it's doom and gloom, but it is actually good news. It's talking about the Indian variant that got into a nursing home where the residents had had their second AZ jab just a few days earlier, so they were not fully protected. And yet 15 were found to be infected, and none were seriously ill. These are the most vulnerable in the country, and a partial vaccination was enough to protect them against the Indian mutation. Good, good news.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
More of the same on the numbers.......all good

Infections - 2,490, rolling 7 day down 7.1%
Deaths - 15, rolling 7 day down 38.6% (81 in 7 days)
Admissions - 121, rolling 7 day down 15.8%
Jabs - 135k/473k, cumulative 35.1/16.8m
In hospital - 1,231

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Just leaving the racecourse after my shot of Pfizer now.

As others have said, it's manned and womanned by a small army of immaculately drilled volunteers. Go tell any doubters you know it's just so easy.

This is the first time I can hand on heart say I've left Brighton racecourse "up"

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
My 36 year old wife just received the call to come in for her first jab on Thursday. No underlying conditions (apart delusions of always being right, but I don’t think that counts). Absolutely flying through now - she’s the last adult amongst our respective extended families to receive a jab, so it will be a real relief.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All good...........

Infections - 2,047, rolling 7 day down 5.2%
Deaths - 5, rolling 7 day down 26.2% (79)
Admissions - 101, rolling 7 day down 24.6%
Jabs - 119k/449k, cumulative 35.2/17.2m
In hospital - 1,152 (6/5)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Only 2 deaths reported, and a drop in infections too....................

Infections - 1,770, rolling 7 day down 4.3%
Deaths - 2, rolling 7 day down 39.1% (67 - so 7 day average now below 10 per day )
Admissions - 101, rolling 7 day down 24.6% (not updated)
Jabs - 169k/439k, cumulative 35.4/17.7m
In hospital - 1,152 (6/5)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here