[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Has she ever had asthma, even if a very long time ago?

My daughter has mild asthma, rarely needing inhalers, but they asked that she got vaccinated. Done last Saturday at the Brighton Racecourse vax centre.

She has, but it was very very mild, But I guess that answers it!

For some reason I thought asthma wasn’t on the list

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This is crawley, so I guess it’s good news if the whole county is looking at these ages

I just spent this morning helping to set up a new vaccination centre in Crawley - allowing for a very substantial increase in patient flow in the coming weeks. The centre I normally volunteer at is also aiming to nearly double the daily numbers soon. It's all ramping up as supplies are improving. I'm not at all surprised they are moving down the ages so fast now. To be frank, the dfference in risk between a 35 and 45 year old is probably very small (?), so I'd assume the order it gets done in now matters less than just keeping the overall volumes up. Also why just about anyone of any age with any additional risk factors at all will be getting the call.

But bear in mind this ramping up in numbers, alongside doing more and more second vaccuinations, will bring some inevitable glitches. So while I am sure most of it will go smoothly, if you do find yourself in a longer than expected queue, or being asked to come back later, please be patient!

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I just spent this morning helping to set up a new vaccination centre in Crawley - allowing for a very substantial increase in patient flow in the coming weeks. The centre I normally volunteer at is also aiming to nearly double the daily numbers soon. It's all ramping up as supplies are improving. I'm not at all surprised they are moving down the ages so fast now. To be frank, the dfference in risk between a 35 and 45 year old is probably very small (?), so I'd assume the order it gets done in now matters less than just keeping the overall volumes up. Also why just about anyone of any age with any additional risk factors at all will be getting the call.

But bear in mind this ramping up in numbers, alongside doing more and more second vaccuinations, will bring some inevitable glitches. So while I am sure most of it will go smoothly, if you do find yourself in a longer than expected queue, or being asked to come back later, please be patient!

We've waited this long to see the Albion find the net, I think we can hang on just a little longer for the jab :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Excellent work sir.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

As an already- vaccinated old bloke in Crawley, but with an as yet un- inoculated daughter of 41, I'm impressed and hopeful.

Where is this new centre in Crawley please? :clap2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update, all good :

Infections - 5,089, rolling 7 day down 2.3% (test numbers UP 62.2% - for perspective, last 7 days has seen 40,295 positive tests from 8,877,617 tests, or 0.45%)
Deaths - 64, rolling 7 day down 29.6%
Admissions - 531, rolling 7 day down 26.5%
Vaccinations - 257k 1st, 57k 2nd - cumulative 24.45m and 1.61m
People in hospital - 8029 (number not been updated yet)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Numbers update, all good :

Infections - 5,089, rolling 7 day down 2.3% (test numbers UP 62.2% - for perspective, last 7 days has seen 40,295 positive tests from 8,877,617 tests, or 0.45%)
Deaths - 64, rolling 7 day down 29.6%
Admissions - 531, rolling 7 day down 26.5%
Vaccinations - 257k 1st, 57k 2nd - cumulative 24.45m and 1.61m
People in hospital - 8029 (number not been updated yet)

Great to see the positive trend continue, particularly in light of an apparent uptick in parts of Europe where vaccines haven't reached as far as yet. Too early to be counting out chickens just yet, but two months on it's like night and day from the picture we were seeing in mid-Jan.

You would also hope there would be a residual benefit of the higher test numbers in that they must be capturing a good chunk of people who are mildly symptomatic / asymptomatic who may otherwise have slipped the net. That assumes that the track and trace system is working efficiently of course, but with prevalent vaccinations, large scale testing, border quarantine and still a fairly strict lockdown in place, it feels like we've got the virus in the grips of a very nice pincer movement at the moment.

Altogether very different to the frightening, out of control picture that seemed to be emerging a year ago. In the UK, at least,

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great to see the positive trend continue, particularly in light of an apparent uptick in parts of Europe where vaccines haven't reached as far as yet. Too early to be counting out chickens just yet, but two months on it's like night and day from the picture we were seeing in mid-Jan.

You would also hope there would be a residual benefit of the higher test numbers in that they must be capturing a good chunk of people who are mildly symptomatic / asymptomatic who may otherwise have slipped the net. That assumes that the track and trace system is working efficiently of course, but with prevalent vaccinations, large scale testing, border quarantine and still a fairly strict lockdown in place, it feels like we've got the virus in the grips of a very nice pincer movement at the moment.

Altogether very different to the frightening, out of control picture that seemed to be emerging a year ago. In the UK, at least,

Yeah - the trending of all the key numbers has been remarkably consistent for several weeks now - I know the infections have levelled out a little bit but even that has to be viewed against the enormous increase in testing - the fact they've continued to drop despite that is encouraging. For me the drop in deaths and numbers in hospital - and the way those drops are being sustained - bodes very well for the next few weeks, particularity as the protection through vaccination is expanded to more and more people. I can't see 'Zero Covid' happening but we are currently heading towards very low numbers indeed getting seriously ill or dying.

As an aside, I had a text from the NHS today saying I will be 'contacted very soon' to book a vaccination..................I'm in Group 9 (just !)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Yeah - the trending of all the key numbers has been remarkably consistent for several weeks now - I know the infections have levelled out a little bit but even that has to be viewed against the enormous increase in testing - the fact they've continued to drop despite that is encouraging. For me the drop in deaths and numbers in hospital - and the way those drops are being sustained - bodes very well for the next few weeks, particularity as the protection through vaccination is expanded to more and more people. I can't see 'Zero Covid' happening but we are currently heading towards very low numbers indeed getting seriously ill or dying.

As an aside, I had a text from the NHS today saying I will be 'contacted very soon' to book a vaccination..................I'm in Group 9 (just !)

I find the concept of zero-Covid a fascinating one. I kind of get that zero-Covid on a global level is going to be difficult - there are communities that are going to be incredibly difficult to reach and nations whereby the logistics of vaccinating a sufficient number of people will be hugely challenging.

However, imagine a scenario whereby the UK was to forever close its borders - completely unrealistic but intended for only hypothetical purposes. In such a scenario, the data I've seen in the UK and in particular Israel seems to very confidently suggest that vaccination programs have a profound effect on transmission, whereby the natural reproduction rate must be below 1 even in an environment with no restrictions. If that is the case, then surely the prospect of zero Covid is theoretically very possible.

Moving on a little from my impossible, borders-closed-for-all-eternity scenario, assuming in the short-to-medium-term we are only allowing travellers in from countries whereby vaccination levels are high and subsequently virus levels are low, is the odd imported case going to matter greatly? If the reproduction rate is <1, you're never going to restart the fire, are you?

I do not have a very scientific brain, so I may be oversimplifying things, but to me, if zero-Covid isn't possible, surely something as near as makes no difference, is?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I find the concept of zero-Covid a fascinating one. I kind of get that zero-Covid on a global level is going to be difficult - there are communities that are going to be incredibly difficult to reach and nations whereby the logistics of vaccinating a sufficient number of people will be hugely challenging.

However, imagine a scenario whereby the UK was to forever close its borders - completely unrealistic but intended for only hypothetical purposes. In such a scenario, the data I've seen in the UK and in particular Israel seems to very confidently suggest that vaccination programs have a profound effect on transmission, whereby the natural reproduction rate must be below 1 even in an environment with no restrictions. If that is the case, then surely the prospect of zero Covid is theoretically very possible.

Moving on a little from my impossible, borders-closed-for-all-eternity scenario, assuming in the short-to-medium-term we are only allowing travellers in from countries whereby vaccination levels are high and subsequently virus levels are low, is the odd imported case going to matter greatly? If the reproduction rate is <1, you're never going to restart the fire, are you?

I do not have a very scientific brain, so I may be oversimplifying things, but to me, if zero-Covid isn't possible, surely something as near as makes no difference, is?

Possibly.....better not discuss it on this thread though........:thumbsup:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

New Zealand have managed it by closing their borders. They have averaged 4 cases per day over the last week, all were cases of individuals in isolation having arrived from elsewhere so in the community there have been none at all.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
New Zealand have managed it by closing their borders. They have averaged 4 cases per day over the last week, all were cases of individuals in isolation having arrived from elsewhere so in the community there have been none at all.

When/how do they open up again ??????

..........actually, don't answer otherwise it'll derail the GNT.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Possibly.....better not discuss it on this thread though........:thumbsup:

Not sure if my post came over right - I was trying to be positive. My point being that whilst scientists have [probably rightly] reiterated that zero-Covid is going to be an unlikely scenario, we should be able to get very, very close to it. To a point that it doesn’t greatly matter anymore.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure if my post came over right - I was trying to be positive. My point being that whilst scientists have [probably rightly] reiterated that zero-Covid is going to be an unlikely scenario, we should be able to get very, very close to it. To a point that it doesn’t greatly matter anymore.

I think we're on the same page in that case - we'll have a small number of cases, with a tiny number of people getting seriously ill that the NHS will be able to cope with - most likely with an annual vaccination to keep it at bay. The 'it's just like flu' brigade will eventually be claiming they were right !

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
When/how do they open up again ??????

..........actually, don't answer otherwise it'll derail the GNT.

It doesn’t have to, does it (unless I’m missing something)? Surely the answer is ‘vaccinations’ isn’t it, just as it is for the the rest of us?

Granted, they’re behind the curve versus the UK when it comes to that, however I imagine it’s not quite as economically urgent for the Kiwis as it is for those nations who have endured long, hard lockdowns for much of the past 12 months.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It doesn’t have to, does it (unless I’m missing something)? Surely the answer is ‘vaccinations’ isn’t it, just as it is for the the rest of us?

Granted, they’re behind the curve versus the UK when it comes to that, however I imagine it’s not quite as economically urgent for the Kiwis as it is for those nations who have endured long, hard lockdowns for much of the past 12 months.

https://www.tourismnewzealand.com/a...s domestic product (GDP,or 4.0 percent of GDP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports