Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I see China are ahead of the game and have introduced a new test if you arrive into the country.
Yes folks anal swabbing has arrived and I think that we should follow suit.
Imagine the looks on the faces of the queue at Gatwick as they all wait in line.
Its a yes from me.

It should reduce unnecessary travel

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Couple of things in the news this morning (won't bother posting links as behind a paywall)

-Germany now U-turning to follow the UK and authorising the AZ vaccine for O65s

-will be a lull in vaccine numbers next week due to the supply chain, but this will be very short-lived as both stocks and numbers ramp up significantly from Mid-March. Vaccine centres being told to prepare for much higher numbers.

-Fast-track approach to vaccine tweaks

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said he is "delighted" that there will be a fast-track approach to approving new vaccines for coronavirus variants.

During a visit to Glasgow Lighthouse Lab, the Health Secretary said: "We will have a fast-track approach to safely approving future vaccines that work against a variant of Covid-19.

"The vaccine programme has clearly been a huge UK success story, and part of the reason that we have been able to develop the vaccines so far so quickly is because of the MHRA's rigorous yet flexible approach, which has been based entirely on looking as quickly as possible at the safety and efficacy of vaccines.

"I'm delighted that they're taking that same principled approach to the approval process for vaccines that may work against variants."

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Some personal good news, both Mrs. Afwo and myself have now got appointments to get the first dose.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some personal good news, both Mrs. Afwo and myself have now got appointments to get the first dose.

Very happy for you.

Each person getting vaccinated is good news for us all, also.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well worth a watch, the Zoe App team's latest broadcast on vaccines effectiveness using real world data, side effects including AZ/Pfizer comparisons and vaccine effect for those with compromised immune systems.
Lots of positive information, data and myth busting. Its an hour but I watched it on 1.5 x speed so you can skim through and just back and re-listen to specific points as required.

Oh yes and confirmation that man-flu is real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoCDpIKBhCY

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update, positive news all round :

Infections - 6,573, rolling 7 day down 34.4% (testing has however increased by 10%)
Deaths - 242, rolling 7 day down 33.6%
Admissions - 757, rolling 7 day down 29% (seems as though the number yesterday may not have been quirky, just a large fall)
Vaccinations - 278k first jabs and another new high of 68k second jabs
People in hospital - 12,136 (700 down on yesterday - so from that and the new admissions number, we can deduce that there are currently almost twice as many leaving hospital as going in)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One in five adults under 65 have had Covid vaccine

Around one in five people aged 16 to 64 in England are likely to have had their first dose of Covid-19 vaccine, NHS England figures suggest.
An estimated 21.3 per cent of people in this age group had received their first jab by February 28.
The estimates show little variation between regions, ranging from 19 per cent in London to 23.4 per cent in north-west England.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Numbers update, positive news all round :

Infections - 6,573, rolling 7 day down 34.4% (testing has however increased by 10%)
Deaths - 242, rolling 7 day down 33.6%
Admissions - 757, rolling 7 day down 29% (seems as though the number yesterday may not have been quirky, just a large fall)
Vaccinations - 278k first jabs and another new high of 68k second jabs
People in hospital - 12,136 (700 down on yesterday - so from that and the new admissions number, we can deduce that there are currently almost twice as many leaving hospital as going in)

Great stuff as ever Dazzer. Good to have someone do this while some of us work for a living :wink:

The testing increase needs to be borne in mind by people I think, when schools go back. Schoolkids and parents will be regularly tested where they weren't before so number of tests is bound to go up. Therefore number of cases may see a slowing in the rate of decline. A simple matric would be to release the new positive cases as a proportion of new tests. (The good news, before anyone starts, is that the school return, whatever your opinion on it, will be carried our in a safer way than September - December and we'll have more data available regarding numbers in under 18s).

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They found the missing person testing positive for the Brazil variant. Turns out they are in Croydon.
It wasn't the greatest surprise, I've ever heard.... What's that Guinness boy? Ah yeh sorry mate

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers are in, all very positive again:

Infections - 5,947, rolling 7 day down 34.8%
Deaths - 236, rolling 7 day down 32.9%
Admissions - 811, rolling 7 day down 28.8%
Vaccinations - 376k first jabs and 70k second jabs
11,492 in hospital

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Numbers are in, all very positive again:

Infections - 5,947, rolling 7 day down 34.8%
Deaths - 236, rolling 7 day down 32.9%
Admissions - 811, rolling 7 day down 28.8%
Vaccinations - 376k first jabs and 70k second jabs
11,492 in hospital

Great work mate, amongst all of the fantastic posts on this great thread over the course of the last year I always look out for your daily update. Thanks for taking the time out to post it every day.

These figures really should be more prominent on the major news sites - if we'd have just seen a 35% INCREASE in infections, I guarantee it would be the number one story across the likes of the BBC, Sky et al. Makes threads like this all the more important.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Great work mate, amongst all of the fantastic posts on this great thread over the course of the last year I always look out for your daily update. Thanks for taking the time out to post it every day.

These figures really should be more prominent on the major news sites - if we'd have just seen a 35% INCREASE in infections, I guarantee it would be the number one story across the likes of the BBC, Sky et al. Makes threads like this all the more important.
Listened to the radio today and it was reported prominently enough

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here