Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Latest data :

Infections - 7,434 - rolling 7 day down 17.5% (new low in this wave)
Deaths - 290, rolling 7 day down 32.3% (rate of fall still escalating)
Admissions - 1,111, rolling 7 day down 22.2%
Vaccinations - first jabs 504k, second jabs 33k - 19.682m first jabs administered

Over the landmark 20m first jabs tomorrow?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Over the landmark 20m first jabs tomorrow?

Yup, was going to say the same. Today is likely to be the day we hit 20m.

I heard from someone with a little more knowledge than me that the expectation is for a significant step up in numbers from around 1 - 2 weeks time, allowing first doses to continue racking up while starting get stuck into second doses in a big way as well. Capacity to deliver is there, it's all about supply.

With the increasing evidence on efficiacy I can see why there is increasing optimism about timeframes on getting out of this.

On top of that the sun is shining - spring is properly here and hopefully that will add both to the reduction in the pandemic and to a boost for people's mental health.

OK...the sport over the weekend has been crap, but good to remind ourseleves that there ARE more imprtant things in life. And those things are on the up. Many of us may yet be able see Brighton get relegated live...a mixed blessing for sure but personally, I'll take it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup, was going to say the same. Today is likely to be the day we hit 20m.

I heard from someone with a little more knowledge than me that the expectation is for a significant step up in numbers from around 1 - 2 weeks time, allowing first doses to continue racking up while starting get stuck into second doses in a big way as well. Capacity to deliver is there, it's all about supply.

With the increasing evidence on efficiacy I can see why there is increasing optimism about timeframes on getting out of this.

On top of that the sun is shining - spring is properly here and hopefully that will add both to the reduction in the pandemic and to a boost for people's mental health.

OK...the sport over the weekend has been crap, but good to remind ourseleves that there ARE more imprtant things in life. And those things are on the up. Many of us may yet be able see Brighton get relegated live...a mixed blessing for sure but personally, I'll take it.

I have family in their early 60’s with no health conditions, who’ve now been vaccinated.

This is moving apace.

With all the other good news about the Pfizer and OAZ vaccines, I envisage very low CV19 metrics in the UK in a couple of weeks time. Fingers crossed.

This is a remarkable programme from top to bottom.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I have family in their early 60’s with no health conditions, who’ve now been vaccinated.

This is moving apace.

With all the other good news about the Pfizer and OAZ vaccines, I envisage very low CV19 metrics in the UK in a couple of weeks time. Fingers crossed.

This is a remarkable programme from top to bottom.

It is remarkable isn’t it. It’s also quite interesting that if you were to have a conversation about developed nations that got the original outbreak and subsequent waves wrong, the US and UK would be very much at the heart of it.

And yet in terms of the vaccine rollout, both countries are absolutely flying - the US a little behind us in percentage terms but having delivered over 70m jabs thus far; that’s impressive for such a geographically vast nation with all of the logistical complexities that brings.

But still, if you are to look only at mid-to-large sized countries, nowhere gets close to what we have achieved so far, and look set to continue over the coming months. As you say, truly remarkable.

I’ve always been proud of my heritage, of being British, being English - and the values that come with that. I was brought up with a great respect for what my grandparents and their generation had done and sacrificed for the greater good of our country during the war, and just what that meant for the life I have been so lucky to lead.

This time last year however, with a public divided over Brexit, the general state of our politics and then most importantly of all, our shambolic response to the emergence of Covid-19, that pride was seriously, seriously beginning to wane.

Thankfully, due to the ongoing, relentless efforts of the NHS, the scientific leaps we have made in both treatments and vaccines, and now a genuinely world-beating vaccination programme, my pride has been very quickly restored.

All the love and respect in the world to all involved.

Last edited:

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
Fantastic Data from Peru Ivermectin works bringing Deaths and Hospitalizations down it acts the same way as a vaccine on the spike protein .Youtube Dr Mobeen Syed 8hrs ago .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Scientists at the chemical weapons testing laboratory at Porton Down are working on rapid Covid tests that can diagnose tens of thousands of people an hour to unlock the British summer of sport.

Porton Down scientists are verifying a number of different schemes for mass testing for thousands of spectators in a matter of minutes in order to allow for sports events in June.

The tests could see tens of thousands of fans checked an hour before going to watch events at stadia this summer, according to industry sources familiar with the plan.

One testing source told The Telegraph: "There are possibilities that involve being able to process tens of thousands of tests an hour.

"Technology has been adapted from agriculture and other areas where high volume processing is the norm and is being applied to this human application like never before."

Health ministers commissioned PHE Porton Down to establish a time-limited SARS-CoV-2 test development and evaluation programme last August.

Since then, a scientific team has been established to deliver this work in collaboration with the University of Oxford and Porton Down's external scientific advisers through a three-stage process.

By the end of the testing process, thousands of the tests are being checked by the scientists at Porton Down. The findings are then reported to officials and ministers who use "this information and any recommendations to inform potential purchasing decisions".

One senior Government source said: "There are a number of technologies that are coming through that are really very fast. [Porton Down] is looking at the efficacy and the accuracy. There are a number of them under testing at the moment. It is very very fast – volume and speed."

Last week Nadhim Zahawi, the vaccines minister, made it clear in an online forum with the Reaction website that mass rapid testing will be a large part of how the UK returns to normal after the pandemic.

Mr Zahawi said: "We think that rapid testing is one of the ways that we open the economy, whether it be large concerts or other parts of the economy. So testing certification needs to be easily available on your phone if you need to show you have had a test if you need to attend a sporting event or anything else."

A Department of Health and Social Care spokesman declined to comment.

A source pointed to the Government's plan for exiting the lockdown, which said pilot testing for "enhanced testing approaches and other measures to run events with larger crowd sizes and reduced social distancing to evaluate the outcomes" starts in April.

The plan added: "The Government will bring the findings from across different sectors and different settings to determine a consistent approach to lifting restrictions on these events."

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Had my first dose up at the Racecourse yesterday. Side effects are proving to be a bit fun.

Found myself a bit emotional whilst in there. I'd never properly realised the enormity of it, not just of the vaccination program but of the last 15 months globally.

The Racecourse is just one vaccination centre of thousands all over the world, full of people doing the job of protecting us from a terrible virus. Then you think of all the scientists all over the world who worked, and still work, on the vaccines themselves. Of the doctors and nurses and carers and shop workers and delivery drivers and everyone else who have kept countries around the world going.

And of course, sadly, you think of of those who died. Of those are yet to die.

It's a truly mind boggling thing to wrap your head around.

Apologies if this isn't in the spirit of the Good News thread, it's just something I've been thinking on between doses of paracetamol and cups of tea.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Scientists at the chemical weapons testing laboratory at Porton Down are working on rapid Covid tests that can diagnose tens of thousands of people an hour to unlock the British summer of sport.

Porton Down scientists are verifying a number of different schemes for mass testing for thousands of spectators in a matter of minutes in order to allow for sports events in June.

im hopeful that by June we'll have 60% population have been vaccinated, and little point to testing. where would venues hold tens of thousands of people while waiting even an hour?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
im hopeful that by June we'll have 60% population have been vaccinated, and little point to testing. where would venues hold tens of thousands of people while waiting even an hour?

This is where the idea of testing for entry falls down

Can you imagine holding a few hundred people that have had a few to get into a night club?

Who pays for all the tests/testers?

Where do they go?

If someone tests positive does the whole place shut for the evening ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Had my first dose up at the Racecourse yesterday. Side effects are proving to be a bit fun.

Found myself a bit emotional whilst in there. I'd never properly realised the enormity of it, not just of the vaccination program but of the last 15 months globally.

The Racecourse is just one vaccination centre of thousands all over the world, full of people doing the job of protecting us from a terrible virus. Then you think of all the scientists all over the world who worked, and still work, on the vaccines themselves. Of the doctors and nurses and carers and shop workers and delivery drivers and everyone else who have kept countries around the world going.

And of course, sadly, you think of of those who died. Of those are yet to die.

It's a truly mind boggling thing to wrap your head around.

Apologies if this isn't in the spirit of the Good News thread, it's just something I've been thinking on between doses of paracetamol and cups of tea.
I don't think it's against the idea of the Good News Thread. Without the difficulties and tragedies we've all experienced the last year, the good news would not be news at all. The tragedy emphasises the importance of the breakthroughs.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Deaths down 34%, look at the trend 68031EA1-4282-4A54-B883-26D4014B52F3.jpeg... clear vaccine effect in the steepness of the decline continuing further than the first wave, let’s hope this trend continues as at the moment it only seems to be steepening.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Had the letter through from the NHS on Friday to book my vaccinations as I'm registered as an unpaid carer for my disabled son. First one booked in for 10th March, having to wait for kids to be back at school or I'd have booked in for next week. Very quick and easy booking system from the NHS allowing you to book the second appointment at the same time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry, late on parade. Anyway, numbers update :

Infections - a big drop - 6,035. Rolling 7 day down 21.2%
Deaths - 144 - likewise (but usually lower at weekends), rolling 7 day down 33.5% (yet again the biggest fall)
Admissions - 1,112 - rolling 7 day down 22.1% (very solid and steady trend)
Vacs - 407k first, 27k second - 20.089 first jabs administered.

A very good news day.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Deaths - 144 - likewise (but usually lower at weekends), rolling 7 day down 33.5% (yet again the biggest fall)

A very good news day.

Lol...slacking....I thought you might turn up sooner or later so refrained from posting them.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hope this is posted next Sunday

If we simply maintain the current rate of decline, we should see our first day of under 100 reported deaths next Sunday.

Furthermore the seven-day average at the end of March would be 55. But I’d expect it to be lower than that, given the fall is accelerating due to vaccines...

West https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1366064174938419203?s=21

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

A very good news day.

Is there a breakdown of the number of vaccines by manufacturer anywhere?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here