Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I subscribe to the Zoe app ..diligently giving my health info each day ..just had this email

Hello Contributors,

If you've been paying close attention to our estimates of new daily COVID cases, you'll have noticed a drop from previously reported figures over the last week. That's because we've made important changes to the way we calculate the incidence rate and the R (reproduction) number.

Get the full detail of the changes at our blog:

Why we revised our COVID estimates
It's good news - the revised figures are lower than previously thought, although we're still seeing a slow down in the rate of decrease. We think we've been overestimating COVID cases for just over a week. As soon as we realised this, we got to fixing the issue.

We're constantly striving to bring you the most up-to-date and accurate information possible. Being fast and working with real-time data means we may sometimes encounter challenges like this, but rest assured - if we find a problem, we'll fix it fast.

Thank you for your continued support.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Thanks, I saw it, but am happy to know I'm almost there. Not one for jumping the queue (if there is one, I don't know!).

When I booked today, there were slots available for all times for the next 5 days from 9.00 tomorrow morning. That was at the Brighton centre, but if it is similar elsewhere, I don't think you'd be jumping any queue.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
When I booked today, there were slots available for all times for the next 5 days from 9.00 tomorrow morning. That was at the Brighton centre, but if it is similar elsewhere, I don't think you'd be jumping any queue.

Okay, will check my local centre.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Understand from people who have been to Brighton centre is that it’s very quiet so they are happy to jab anyone with an appointment. No question of Q jumping.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The NHS site now says over 64, but I know a 60 year old who just carried on through about 15 mins ago, entered their date of birth, answered all the questions, put no underlying conditions and booked themselves in for tomorrow morning :blush:

Thanks for the tip. I’ve just booked mine. Website says age 64 and above. I’m 63 but it let me in and it took just a couple of minutes to book dates for first and second jabs. Seems to be plenty of availability.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
The NHS site now says over 64, but I know a 60 year old who just carried on through about 15 mins ago, entered their date of birth, answered all the questions, put no underlying conditions and booked themselves in for tomorrow morning :blush:

Thank you.
I'm age 61, 62 at the weekend, went on the site, no underlying conditions.
Booked in for March 6 and May 26.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
The NHS site doesn’t let anyone of any age book. I just tried and a caption came up saying...

Get back to your X-Box and Spotify, you young whippersnapper. Your turn won’t be until May.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Vaccines 'working well' against new UK variant

BBC

Data suggests the current coronavirus vaccines being used in the UK are "working well" against the new UK variant, says a leading virologist.

Professor Wendy Barclay, head of the department of infectious disease at Imperial College London, is talking about the B1.1.7 strain, first discovered in Kent.

She tells the Science and Technology Committee: "There has been some concern that the variant is different than the original strain against which the vaccines were generated, but the good numbers... really give us some reassurance, which can be backed up now in laboratory studies, that this variant is still susceptible to the vaccine."

Prof Barclay says: "Now that we're seeing good numbers in the field with the vaccine says that at least for this variant, the vaccines remain efficacious and are working well."

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that the site allows people of any age to book. The link that I was sent certainly does. That’s not really the point though.

The NHS site certainly doesn't. You get asked your DOB very early in the process and it will stop you if you are too young. I believe It's letting 60+ through but only showing sites where there is capacity (I had choice of Brighton Centre, Eastbourne or Crawley).

Just back from the Brighton Centre and the staff were telling me that they were completely empty Saturday PM and are under capacity most of the time. 'All this set up ready and not enough people to vaccinate'.

I told them I would encourage people to book :thumbsup:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
The NHS site certainly doesn't. You get asked your DOB very early in the process and it will stop you if you are too young. I believe It's letting 60+ through but only showing sites where there is capacity (I had choice of Brighton Centre, Eastbourne or Crawley).

Just back from the Brighton Centre and the staff were telling me that they were completely empty Saturday PM and are under capacity most of the time. 'All this set up ready and not enough people to vaccinate'.

I think that’s fair enough if it only allows 60+ through. I’m 61 and it would have allowed me to book. I know a group of people, mainly in their 50’s, who were circulating links to the Millenium Point and AVFC vaccine centres in Birmingham and who have all had the vaccine. They did not receive individual invitations. That didn’t sit right with me.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

My missus (64) just booked a Saturday slot at Brighton; loads of choice for times.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that’s fair enough if it only allows 60+ through. I’m 61 and it would have allowed me to book. I know a group of people, mainly in their 50’s, who were circulating links to the Millenium Point and AVFC vaccine centres in Birmingham and who have all had the vaccine. They did not receive individual invitations. That didn’t sit right with me.

I agree completely, if they've found a way to circumvent the system. I thought all bookings went via the NHS site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here