Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Currently averaging 202,980 vaccinations per hour worldwide.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Never heard of this one, has it been going by another name?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Never heard of this one, has it been going by another name?

Nope, just been a lot more low-profile than the others. I think that's partly because it was never considered one of the front-runners to be released first, and partly because it's the only one in Europe being developed with the traditional 'inactivated virus' technology. Old-hat some may say, but I think it will be very useful. In theory (bearing in mind I literally know nothing about vaccines and how they work) it sounds like it would be fairly easy to adapt it for a new variant as well, as surely that would just entail replacing the inactivated whole virus particles with those of the new variant? Maybe perhaps why the gov't have moved to secure more doses now

more about it here:
https://valneva.com/press-release/v...accine-completes-phase-1-2-study-recruitment/

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My wife, who's very high risk, getting her jab tomorrow:)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
My wife who is classified as clinically vulnerable got a text at 17-50 this afternoon inviting her to attend for vaccination at 18-15 / 18-30 I took her there at the earliest time but cheekily asked her to see if they had any spare as though I am not due until the next grouping i.e. 65 - 69 but rather than wasting any unused I wouldn't mind having it, this was acceptable to them and we have now had our first dose of the Pfizer jab. How is that for good news eh! Now for the win come on the Albion.

This is undoubtedly good news, and very pleased for you.

However, a note of caution for others. I believe that this situation would have been relatively exceptional - being (i'd guess) at the end of a 'Pfizer day' when there is a determination not to waste any doses. After coming out of deep freeze the Pfizer vaccine needs using pretty quickly and won't keep overnight.. On Astrazenaca days, the pressure is off as I understand that it can be kept refrigerated and used the next day.

As someone volunteering at a vaccine centre we are told to be very clear that nobody gets vaccinated unless they are on the list and for the vast majority of the time this is strictly stuck to. It is only when there is any chance of doses getting wasted, that they will try everything possible to call in NHS staff and vulnerable people at short notice...and ultimately they will stick it into any arm available rather than let it go to waste!

On the good news side - it is just extraordinary how well the whole vaccine programme is going so far. Having now got a sense of how complex it all is, and how much is having to be done 'on the hoof' it is astonishing how smooth it feels, at least where I am. The result of many many amazing people working night and day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daily update is out :

-Positive cases BELOW 20,000 for the first time in several weeks @ 18,607 and 29.7% down on rolling 7 day period (despite test numbers being UP 10%)
-Hospital admissions also continue to fall, 2,981 reported and DOWN 20.6% on rolling 7 day period (and starting to mirror the drop-off in infection rates)
-Deaths down 7.4% on rolling 7 days (with rate of decrease showing signs of accelerating)
-9.3 million people have now had a first jab

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
This is undoubtedly good news, and very pleased for you.

However, a note of caution for others. I believe that this situation would have been relatively exceptional - being (i'd guess) at the end of a 'Pfizer day' when there is a determination not to waste any doses. After coming out of deep freeze the Pfizer vaccine needs using pretty quickly and won't keep overnight.. On Astrazenaca days, the pressure is off as I understand that it can be kept refrigerated and used the next day.

As someone volunteering at a vaccine centre we are told to be very clear that nobody gets vaccinated unless they are on the list and for the vast majority of the time this is strictly stuck to. It is only when there is any chance of doses getting wasted, that they will try everything possible to call in NHS staff and vulnerable people at short notice...and ultimately they will stick it into any arm available rather than let it go to waste!

On the good news side - it is just extraordinary how well the whole vaccine programme is going so far. Having now got a sense of how complex it all is, and how much is having to be done 'on the hoof' it is astonishing how smooth it feels, at least where I am. The result of many many amazing people working night and day.

Thanks for the response Highflyer, yes I know I was being cheeky / queue jumping etc and would not have been perturbed of offended had I been refused especially as I was not even aware of what vaccine was being administered at the site my wife had been invited to attend but as she was called so late on a Sunday evening I thought just maybe they may have excess doses so we're calling patients in at the last minute to use these vaccines to ensure no waste etc. The doctor who administered the vaccine said they do not waste any but must use all the Pfizer shots as once they are defrosted they have to be diluted with a substance before injection and cannot be used after a certain amount of time had elapsed.
The main reason why I asked my wife to ask them if they had any excess is my sons wife's sister in law who works in elderly care had her injection in Brighton a couple of weeks ago at the end of the day and she was asked if she knew of anyone who wanted a vaccine as there were some spare, she asked if her husband could have it to which they agreed. Both are in their thirties which I thought was brilliant for them and for ensuring minimal waste of this wonderful gift of science. I hope everyone who wants a jab gets one as soon as possible to end this pandemic asap.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Thanks for the response Highflyer, yes I know I was being cheeky / queue jumping etc and would not have been perturbed of offended had I been refused especially as I was not even aware of what vaccine was being administered at the site my wife had been invited to attend but as she was called so late on a Sunday evening I thought just maybe they may have excess doses so we're calling patients in at the last minute to use these vaccines to ensure no waste etc. The doctor who administered the vaccine said they do not waste any but must use all the Pfizer shots as once they are defrosted they have to be diluted with a substance before injection and cannot be used after a certain amount of time had elapsed.
The main reason why I asked my wife to ask them if they had any excess is my sons wife's sister in law who works in elderly care had her injection in Brighton a couple of weeks ago at the end of the day and she was asked if she knew of anyone who wanted a vaccine as there were some spare, she asked if her husband could have it to which they agreed. Both are in their thirties which I thought was brilliant for them and for ensuring minimal waste of this wonderful gift of science. I hope everyone who wants a jab gets one as soon as possible to end this pandemic asap.

Absolutely, don't get me wrong - I'm delighted you got vaccinated - under those circumstances it's exactly the right thing to have happened. A sign of how things are being managed flexibly and pragmatically.

I just wanted to be careful to manage other people's expectations.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The most important aspect of vaccines 856E45FA-5623-4F83-82C7-2CE231685D6B.jpeg

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sky reporting all adults could be vaccinated by May.
With the 1 dose J&J vaccine for the less at risk, I can see this being a real possibility., especially with the speed of the roll out.
Might explain the government announcing helping out other countries too.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-12205873

Just saw that on Twitter, that would be some going, I was a critic of the vaccination route out the government were pinning our futures on but it does appear they’ve put all their chips behind the right hand. Fair play to the government, for once.

I think I read the J&J vaccine could be rolled out at the end of February if all goes well. The tide has well and truly turned on this peasant virus.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Another data chart from Maccabi in Israel where there has been a very high vaccination %, this graph APPEARS to show that one dose of the Pfizer vaccine reduces incidence of infection very significantly, the second dose is given on day 21 in most cases in Israel and you can see there is clearly a building high level of immunity already on this date.

View attachment 133311

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Mum jab done tonight, a huge weight off my mind. Then we beat Spurs, I might (possibly) be nice to people "at" work tomorrow. No promises though, it's Monday after all.

Now just waiting for the in-laws.

Great news - Mum & Dad got theirs Thurs :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here