Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Moderna's covid vaccine is still effective against the variant first discovered in South Africa.

Put simply, it appears vaccines will still be effective against new variants, but maybe slightly less so. However, vaccines can be updated to target new variants quite quickly.

[tweet]1353701236458070016[/tweet]

Indeed - hence the Gov/scientists' desire to get cases as low as possible whilst we roll out the vaccine. Less cases = less variants.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Moderna's covid vaccine is still effective against the variant first discovered in South Africa.

Put simply, it appears vaccines will still be effective against new variants, but maybe slightly less so. However, vaccines can be updated to target new variants quite quickly.

More genuine good news, thanks.

Hopefully the most we will need to do in the future is get a modified jab every now and again in the same way as the flu jab. On a personal note my step dad (81, black, diabetic) should now be protected as he had a jab two weeks ago and my mum, late 70s who acts as his carer as well, has her letter and will have jab number 1 by mid Feb. They've been shielding more or less since March with mum just going out for a short walk at sunrise. A big relief to me and them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Indeed - hence the Gov/scientists' desire to get cases as low as possible whilst we roll out the vaccine. Less cases = less variants.

Quite And it's a reminder that vaccinating everyone in the UK won't keep us safe if it can mutate in the third world and keep coming back.

The world needs to be vaccinated

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wow - another significant drop in number of positive cases yesterday (30k reported the previous day) - no decrease in no. of tests performed

Cases
People tested positive
Latest data provided on 25 January 2021

Daily 22,195
Last 7 days 236,164 -78,816 (-25%)
Rate per 100k resident population: 390.5

Hospitalisations also down and the weekly rolling number starting to show a consistent drop

Patients admitted
Latest data provided on 21 January 2021

Daily 3,547
Last 7 days 27,039 -2,121 (-7.3%)

Vacc numbers were down (similar to last Sunday) - not helped by the weather presumably.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I listened to an interview with the CEO of Moderna on Bloomberg TV today. Absolutely brilliant man, phenomenal knowledge of his topic and products, but delivered making the complex stuff sound simple, and without scare-mothering or hyperbole, just really detailed informative stuff, not just the here and now, but also the landscape further out too. Very clever chap, very good interview.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Without turning this off subject of good news

It’s almost like out Gov should have waited before scaring the nation again.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Without turning this off subject of good news

It’s almost like out Gov should have waited before scaring the nation again.

The media had got hold of it so they cut them off at the pass. I’m not a fan of this lot but it was the sensible thing to do. I actually classed that as good news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wow - another significant drop in number of positive cases yesterday (30k reported the previous day) - no decrease in no. of tests performed

Cases
People tested positive
Latest data provided on 25 January 2021

Daily 22,195
Last 7 days 236,164 -78,816 (-25%)
Rate per 100k resident population: 390.5

Hospitalisations also down and the weekly rolling number starting to show a consistent drop

Patients admitted
Latest data provided on 21 January 2021

Daily 3,547
Last 7 days 27,039 -2,121 (-7.3%)

Vacc numbers were down (similar to last Sunday) - not helped by the weather presumably.

Looking at that being reported here ..there are some words of caution ..looks good ..but possibly need to see how the next few days pan out

https://twitter.com/ukcovid19stats/status/1353735895879454726?s=21

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Lockdown measures do not need to be changed to beat the Kent Covid variant, scientists have said.

Last week, the Government's New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag) warned that the new variant could increase the Covid death rate by 30 per cent.

However, several scientists outside Nervtag have argued that the variant may be simply spreading to more people – leading to increased deaths – rather than being more likely to kill a person who gets infected.

Nervtag scientists also said they have seen no increase in hospital admissions linked to the variant, nor any evidence that it increases the risk of death once a person has been admitted to hospital.

At a briefing on Monday, they said the current restrictions should work to bring down cases even if the variant is more infectious and more deadly.

Professor Graham Medley, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), said: "Reduction of the incidence of infection is the critical thing.

"Whether or not you want to make sure the incidence comes down further by strengthening lockdowns or increasing the duration of the lockdown, I think it's clearly up to the Government to decide that. But it's not that this new result suggests that we need to do anything hugely different."

I know I’ve posted it in two places - but this is good news.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Remarkable if true.

AEBC5711-F8F0-4098-8288-64CB489CDAD2.jpeg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Just came to piggy back on the above...very good noises re: onwards transmission being cut by vaccines.

[TWEET]1353776194144120832[/TWEET]

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
This will provide a good comparison to our 12 weeks between doses approach.

Indeed, different vaccine structures though. The Oxford vaccine showed that maximum eventual protection was actually when there was between 8-12 weeks between doses, the group was small but it was clearly significant enough to convince the MHRA.

The data coming out of Israel is still showing significant drops, even in those who had only had their first dose so I’m hopeful our medical scientists have called this right. We will begin to get our own data very shortly, you would imagine the government probably have some of the preliminary information already on how many (if any) confirmed cases there has been in those who were vaccinated a few weeks before Christmas.

Exciting times.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Just came to piggy back on the above...very good noises re: onwards transmission being cut by vaccines.

[TWEET]1353776194144120832[/TWEET]

This is the abolute key, if this is true and the early signs are very encouraging we can turn the tide of this very rapidly if we can hold our nerve and keep our discipline for the next 6 weeks, by then we should have around 27m vaccinated, around 40% of the population and all of the most vulnerable. This should dramatically slash new hospital admissions and further reduce the R rate from its current 0.8-0.9, I put on another thread if you extrapolate the current positive cases forwards in 6 weeks we would be down to under 10,000 daily cases and by Easter under 4,000 daily (this assumes no easing of lockdown). This should be very achievable and if anything should drop further as each week goes by and a further 2-3m get some decent immunity from the virus.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is the abolute key, if this is true and the early signs are very encouraging we can turn the tide of this very rapidly if we can hold our nerve and keep our discipline for the next 6 weeks, by then we should have around 27m vaccinated, around 40% of the population and all of the most vulnerable. This should dramatically slash new hospital admissions and further reduce the R rate from its current 0.8-0.9, I put on another thread if you extrapolate the current positive cases forwards in 6 weeks we would be down to under 10,000 daily cases and by Easter under 4,000 daily (this assumes no easing of lockdown). This should be very achievable and if anything should drop further as each week goes by and a further 2-3m get some decent immunity from the virus.

good to see you on this thread. Better for your headspace !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here