Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Do you mean 500 ?

It is 5000 - this is ‘active cases’ not ‘daily infections’ to be clear - apologies if any confusion.

13D18614-C5A2-469D-BDE3-8606FEF65E74.jpeg

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
JVT's mum has been vaccinated

The 79-year-old mother of England's deputy chief medical officer has had her coronavirus vaccination.

Professor Jonathan Van-Tam, who is also a regular feature at downing street coronavirus press conferences, has repeatedly spoken about encouraging his mother Elizabeth Van-Tam to be ready to receive the vaccine when she got the call.

Prof Van-Tam, who said his mother calls him "Jonny", said he had told her it was "really important" to get the jab because she is "so at risk".

She had her vaccination on Thursday at a GP surgery in Whittlesey, near Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1352255066590375939[/TWEET]

Looking like decent vaccine figures again today, now hitting the 2m a week minimum needed to hit the target by 15th Feb.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
[TWEET]1352255066590375939[/TWEET]

Looking like decent vaccine figures again today, now hitting the 2m a week minimum needed to hit the target by 15th Feb.

Excellent. Now they can perhaps set a new target of 3 million per week. Or if we are feeling optimistic, 4 million. We want to have the infrastructure to inject as many doses as the manufacturers can provide.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Excellent. Now they can perhaps set a new target of 3 million per week. Or if we are feeling optimistic, 4 million. We want to have the infrastructure to inject as many doses as the manufacturers can provide.

It seems we are going to keep ramping up capacity and possibly hitting a ceiling around late Feb-March time of hopefully 4 million plus.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Looks like 360k vaccinations, fantastic :clap2:

Another 11+ capacity Amex stadiums.

Cases also down nearly 30% on last week & 500 less people in hospital than yesterday.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Israeli R-rate drops below 1 for first time since October as over a third of the population receives first vaccine dose, despite backdrop of increasingly prevalent British variant:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-1...els-transmission-rate-shows-outbreak-slowing/

I don’t want to speculate, but I’m very much hoping that this is an early signal that vaccines do curb transmission. Largely thanks to Israel, we should have a clearer idea of that in the next 3-4 weeks, and this will be key to nations around the world in setting out, hopefully, what the roadmap out of this mess looks like.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Israeli R-rate drops below 1 for first time since October as over a third of the population receives first vaccine dose, despite backdrop of increasingly prevalent British variant:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/for-1...els-transmission-rate-shows-outbreak-slowing/

I don’t want to speculate, but I’m very much hoping that this is an early signal that vaccines do curb transmission. Largely thanks to Israel, we should have a clearer idea of that in the next 3-4 weeks, and this will be key to nations around the world in setting out, hopefully, what the roadmap out of this mess looks like.

Relieved to see something positive out of Israel after the barrage of negatives the last couple of days. This thread remains my go to on NSC

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Relieved to see something positive out of Israel after the barrage of negatives the last couple of days. This thread remains my go to on NSC

Mine too, and has done for many weeks now.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1352549339579736064[/TWEET]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1352560383433834498[/TWEET]

Useful response to a question that some of you may be wondering;

[TWEET]1352564325576282112[/TWEET]

You could say this is *theoretical* good news. But still pretty likely to align with the truth, given data we've seen so far.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Possibly is theoretical

Israel will tell us - and that data should be with us next week. Certainly, if all over 80's have been vaccinated, then after 3 weeks you should see far far fewer hospital admissions in that age group.

Same will apply to UK in 4 weeks time (all over 80s done by end of next week - add 3 weeks for vaccine to take effect.) and we too should see far far fewer admissions/deaths in that age group

[TWEET]1352560383433834498[/TWEET]

Useful response to a question that some of you may be wondering;

[TWEET]1352564325576282112[/TWEET]

You could say this is *theoretical* good news. But still pretty likely to align with the truth, given data we've seen so far.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Possibly is theoretical

Israel will tell us - and that data should be with us next week. Certainly, if all over 80's have been vaccinated, then after 3 weeks you should see far far fewer hospital admissions in that age group.

Same will apply to UK in 4 weeks time (all over 80s done by end of next week - add 3 weeks for vaccine to take effect.) and we too should see far far fewer admissions/deaths in that age group

Given trial data, it would be very bizarre if we didn’t see any dip. As you say, the question is how much of a dip.

Once we start to see these patterns bear out, it will help a lot with starting to get an idea of how long restrictions etc need to last.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here