Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Finally seeing some pretty positive, excited stuff on the main news channels tonight........seems as though the main dampening /caution now is to stop things regressing before the vaccination programme gets properly motoring. Even the devolved Governments are coordinating their approach.

It’s absolutely astonishing what the Oxford team have done - not sure what they do with Prof Sarah Gilbert at the end of all this but must be in Nobel Prize territory.

One of the great things about their vaccine is going to be the benefit to poorer countries ..being cheaper and easier to distribute

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hi, yes I have been given the self test kits, I have been asked to do 2 a week, which I am happy to do. I am at PRH in HH

I may have some news later. Which is not just stat related :)

Always knew you were a good guy :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One of the great things about their vaccine is going to be the benefit to poorer countries ..being cheaper and easier to distribute

Exactly - 1/5th of the cost and stored in a normal fridge.......

Just joked with the Mrs that anyone planning on getting a new fridge had better get in quick. Going to be a massive demand !

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Absolutely, we mustn't forget this. Covid-19 is every bit a global problem, and not all countries are as wealthy or as easy to vaccinate as the UK - take India and its 1.3bn population as a prime example. The cost-effectivenes and relative simplicity of the Oxford vaccine is an absolute gamechanger.

It seemed that there was almost a sense of disappointment this morning as we woke up to headlines that the vaccine was 'only' 70% effective (even if such statements are misleadingly pessimistic). However, we shouldn't forget just how big the last three weeks have been. To flip it on its head; imagine if the news had been that all three apparently successful vaccines hadn't worked. That to all intents and purposes, Covid-19 appeared to be impossible to protect against. That would have been both incredibly depressing and frightening in equal measure. Let's not forget that there are many illnesses which medical science has yet to find an answer to.

There was never any guarantee we were going to have a vaccine for Covid-19, which would have been catastrophic for the entire planet. It now seems we have at least three. Don't take that for granted. In fact, there's a big lesson amindst the Covid nightmare for all of us. Don't take life for granted - it's funny how you never know what you've got until it's gone. That's just the human condition, I suppose.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry for silly question but am I right that even if you’re unlucky to be in the 10% that the vaccine doesn’t work on / or catch the virus after having the vaccine, the point is so many will be protected / immune that it will barely spread and maybe eventually die out?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry for silly question but am I right that even if you’re unlucky to be in the 10% that the vaccine doesn’t work on / or catch the virus after having the vaccine, the point is so many will be protected / immune that it will barely spread and maybe eventually die out?

As far as I understand the results, none of the 10% that did get infected after vaccination needed hospital treatment or got seriously ill - so as well as the herd immunity aspect (essentially yes, it will fizzle out as won’t be able to spread), it’s not that the vaccination ‘doesn’t work’, more that it’s just not fully effective.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As far as I understand the results, none of the 10% that did get infected after vaccination needed hospital treatment or got seriously ill - so as well as the herd immunity aspect (essentially yes, it will fizzle out as won’t be able to spread), it’s not that the vaccination ‘doesn’t work’, more that it’s just not fully effective.

Thanks mate. Best to ask about these things as I’ve half given up the news on this shit for a long time as it’s so depressing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks mate. Best to ask about these things as I’ve half given up the news on this shit for a long time as it’s so depressing.

Don’t blame you......mainstream media have been awful most of the time. Really refreshing change tonight......ITN chap could barely keep the smile off his face.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don’t blame you......mainstream media have been awful most of the time. Really refreshing change tonight......ITN chap could barely keep the smile off his face.

My main news source has become [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] on this thread :lol:

I’ve been very positive at work (deal with construction products - manufacturers etc) and luckily it’s buoyant at the moment and has been since first lockdown ended. Feel lucky and blessed to be in that industry. Feel for those who have fallen on hard times in other industries. I’m a half full kind of guy as hopefully my Albion / England football posts shoe most of the time :)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, herd immunity, virus cant spread much because a infectious carrier unlikely to come in contact with those vulnerable. then the reduced effects noted too.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
yes, herd immunity, virus cant spread much because a infectious carrier unlikely to come in contact with those vulnerable. then the reduced effects noted too.

So we’re hoping it won’t be around forever like flu etc... good.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It will still be knocking around for years though as it takes a very long time to vaccinate the entire planet.

With vaccination the chances of catching it will be much lower though, even if can't take the vaccine itself.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It will still be knocking around for years though as it takes a very long time to vaccinate the entire planet.

With vaccination the chances of catching it will be much lower though, even if can't take the vaccine itself.

How come mate?

Tell me about it, this is a great breakthrough, something Britain can be proud of. A cost effective vaccine for the world

Absolutely this. We kick ourselves down a lot, especially recently. With that, we forget there is so much positivity when you scratch under the surface and our Sciences industry is probably the best thing to be proud of, especially now. It's always been the best in the world, but, even better with this vaccine breakthrough.

I've not felt this positive about the pandemic until today. It's definitely looking more rosy.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
How come mate?

Less people to catch it from who have either been vaccinated or have had it and have built some form of resistance albeit short term

But you can't vaccinate the entire planet overnight and people will start moving around again. Richer countries like ourselves will need to spend billions to help out poorer countries to effectively help ourselves.

It took years to fully eradicate smallpox with vaccination.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Less people to catch it from who have either been vaccinated or have had it and have built some form of resistance albeit short term

But you can't vaccinate the entire planet overnight and people will start moving around again. Richer countries like ourselves will need to spend billions to help out poorer countries to effectively help ourselves.

Jury's out on that one. The resistance duration, whether by natural means after infection or by vaccination is unknown as yet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Oxford group alone reckon they will deliver 3 billion doses next year.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is it politically incorrect for me to mention that Zaha has the 'rona under a good news thread?

Does he now have to isolate with all the other Palace players who dig them out of holes?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Oxford group alone reckon they will deliver 3 billion doses next year.

Yeh, even though it's not quite as effective (although up to 90% is still good) the Oxford vaccine is the real game changer on a world-wide basis due to it being cheap and without any major storage-temperature issues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here