Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Is there any calculation behind these R numbers or just someone saying that it appears cases are going up/down quicker/slower so we'll add/subtract a point or two?

It's something like 'Cases over last 14 days / cases over 14 day period prior to that'.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I see Australia have had no new recorded Covid cases in the last 24hrs for the first time since June. Well played.

I’m guessing they’re moving into their summer now? Not to diminish the achievement, just notable how different the effects this virus has dependent on season. I’m aware they’ve also had a long lockdown.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I’m guessing they’re moving into their summer now? Not to diminish the achievement, just notable how different the effects this virus has dependent on season. I’m aware they’ve also had a long lockdown.

Correct end of flu season

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Operational update for BSUH

We are currently caring for 34 patients with COVID-19, 1 of whom is in critical care.

Although numbers still increasing, Only 1 in ITU.

Don't know about other numbers in hospital but at the Conquest in Hastings the only ITU covid patient has moved out of ITU now

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
UK Taskforce chief says Covid vaccine likely to be given to every person over 50 who needs it by Easter

A coronavirus vaccine is likely to have been given to every person over 50 who needs one by Easter, the head of the UK Vaccine taskforce has claimed.

The private comments by Kate Bingham emerged after Boris Johnson urged the public to stay “optimistic” about scientific breakthroughs as the country returns to lockdown.

Speaking to a US-hosted investors’ forum, she said a dress rehearsal for rolling out a vaccine was scheduled to have completed on Saturday.

“It’s been quick and it’s been efficient,” said Ms Bingham. “This has definitely exceeded my expectations of what was possible.”

At least two candidates, including the Oxford University-AstraZeneca vaccine, are currently in phase three, with experts hoping the data from the Oxford trial to be available in December.

On Sunday, one of the most senior scientists on the Government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), Sir Jeremy Farrar, said he believed “more than one” vaccine will prove to be useful, and that results should be available before New Year.

"They may not be perfect, we've become used to perfect vaccines, but generally these first wave of vaccines are not perfect but they're safe and they are effective and they will change the nature of the pandemic,” he told the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-vaccine-chief-says-covid-164857919.html

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
'Mass coronavirus vaccination' plan for Scotland in 6-weeks time, leaked email claims

A "mass vaccination" programme is being planned for Scotland in mid-December, according to a leaked email.

A memo has been uncovered by the Sunday Mail that relates to the roll out of an anticipated nationwide Covid-19 inoculation schedule in just six weeks time.

The document explains it's "the most important public health goal in our lifetimes".

It's also understood the Scottish NHS has already awarded a contract for supply of refrigeration equipment to store the vaccine when it becomes available.

The email sent by NHS Lothian director David Small to Health and Social Care Partnership (HSCP) members in different local authority areas, outlines the scale of the operation required.

It explains: "Timescales are uncertain, but we are working to an assumption that a vaccine will be available from mid-December 2020.

"This will be a mass vaccination programme to achieve the most important public health goal in our lifetimes.

"We would like to meet with HSCP and council leads in each area to brief you on the likely shape of the programme, discuss delivery options and agree how we can work together to achieve success.

"Given the tight timescale I hope you will be able to meet us as early as possible."

NHS's National Services Scotland signed a deal with an English firm to buy fridges to keep the Covid-19 vaccine.

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/mass-coronavirus-vaccination-plan-scotland-19201353

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Think this thread needs a boost...some good news on llikely post infection immunity (which is potentially good news for vaccines as well)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nt-in-adults-six-months-after-first-infection

Paul Morgan, a professor at Cardiff University, who was not involved in the study, said: “The work provides a welcome dose of optimism that Sars-CoV2 infection (and immunisation?) can induce a robust and sustained protective immune response, although this does not yet prove immunity to further infections which will require longer-term surveillance and larger cohorts.”

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mass testing to begin in Liverpool on Thursday - this follows news of Slovakia testing something like 60-70% of it's population across 3 weekends, showing the speed at which these new tests can be carried out.

More than 2,000 members of the armed forces moving into Liverpool on Thursday to begin a pilot, which will then be used in more cities across the UK if successful.

These rapid tests - if used efficiently - could make a big difference in spotting and suppressing the disease.

The pilot will also act as a test for how a wider scheme might be delivered across the country.

The tests open up the possibility that thousands of people without symptoms will be ordered to self-isolate for a fortnight.

But ministers say that the move will allow the city to return to normal more quickly than others not receiving the tests.

Health secretary Matt Hancock said the rollout would help suppress the virus and “give residents and workers some peace of mind”.

The scheme will use a combination of existing swab tests and new lateral flow tests, which can turn around results within an hour without the need to be processed in a lab.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liverpool-coronavirus-tests-rapid-results-b1540400.html

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Serious question, as Liverpool, Manchester and others got millions in compensation and hand outs to help during their 'lockdown', am I right to assume us Southern Softies will
Be getting the same as our northern friends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Serious question, as Liverpool, Manchester and others got millions in compensation and hand outs to help during their 'lockdown', am I right to assume us Southern Softies will
Be getting the same as our northern friends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a question for the main Covid forum :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mass testing to begin in Liverpool on Thursday - this follows news of Slovakia testing something like 60-70% of it's population across 3 weekends, showing the speed at which these new tests can be carried out.

More than 2,000 members of the armed forces moving into Liverpool on Thursday to begin a pilot, which will then be used in more cities across the UK if successful.

These rapid tests - if used efficiently - could make a big difference in spotting and suppressing the disease.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/liverpool-coronavirus-tests-rapid-results-b1540400.html

Slightly quicker according to this

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/02/europe/slovakia-mass-coronavirus-test-intl/index.html

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Telegraph article saying latest data from King's College is showing R has fallen to 1 in England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here