Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Another big drop in new infections today- UK Figures. 653 new infections 154 New reported deaths

The feared spike in infections from BLM Protests seems simply not to have happened.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Another big drop in new infections today- UK Figures. 653 new infections 154 New reported deaths

The feared spike in infections from BLM Protests seems simply not to have happened.

7EAFA7A8-EA45-461D-93CB-BEF250BADE34.jpeg

Remarkable drop in new infections in the last few days. 154 deaths down from 184 last Wednesday. Good progress.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

After what seemed like a plateau around the 1,000 mark for the past week or so, the numbers for the last three days appear to show real progress. Not only are the cases down 15% on yesterday, the ratio of positive results to tests is down a fraction short of a quarter.

It's probably not wise to get too carried away based on two data points only, but the signs continue to move in the right direction.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just read this, nice summary :

Virus deaths fall for first time across every age group

Deaths from Covid-19 have declined for the first time in almost every age group, with a 29 per cent drop in one week, latest figures from the Office for National Statistics show.

In England and Wales there were 1,080 deaths from Covid in the week ending June 12, down from 1,503 the previous week.

For the first time, every age group experienced no rise in deaths. There were 277 deaths from Covid among those over the age of 90, down from 404 the previous week. In total, the excess death toll in the UK has passed 65,000, the figures show.

Overall deaths from all causes remain higher than average for this time of year – 6 per cent higher than the five-year average. Experts have said this was fuelled by the lack of treatment for other conditions, especially during the peak of the pandemic.

The total number of deaths that have been officially linked to Covid-19 across the UK now stands at 53,325.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1276090741530529793[/TWEET]

New cases drop a further 35% approx in the last week, according to the King's College COVID app - last week 3,600.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
[TWEET]1276090741530529793[/TWEET]

New cases drop a further 35% approx in the last week, according to the King's College COVID app - last week 3,600.

I am hesitant, because this is the good news thread, but it is still important that information here is accurate.

If you read the detail, the drop is actually down to a change in methodology (they have excluded antibody tests from positive cases, as they can't be sure how 'new' they are). That's obviously still good insofar as the number of genuine cases is lower than previously estimated. But they are now saying that for UK overall, number of new cases have stabilised over last two weeks. Neither increasing nor dropping.

But it's a low enough level to live with long term, and the challenge now is to keep it at that level, or below that level as we continue to ease up the lockdown.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I am hesitant, because this is the good news thread, but it is still important that information here is accurate.

If you read the detail, the drop is actually down to a change in methodology (they have excluded antibody tests from positive cases, as they can't be sure how 'new' they are). That's obviously still good insofar as the number of genuine cases is lower than previously estimated. But they are now saying that for UK overall, number of new cases have stabilised over last two weeks. Neither increasing nor dropping.

But it's a low enough level to live with long term, and the challenge now is to keep it at that level, or below that level as we continue to ease up the lockdown.

Sensible to post this...broadens our knowledge

Below is a view of a medical person to balance the second wave theorists...and within the video good news re the unit he works in

[tweet]1276200619968270338[/tweet]

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1276514111111692288[/TWEET]

Just seen this has kinda been covered above. Good news.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
This must surely make the fatality rate as low as, or lower than seasonal flu?!

Figure I have in my mind for flu is about 0.5% so some way to go before it's as low as that, if I am right, but it's possible we could be at that sort of level in the coming weeks.

Worth remembering too that this is hospital deaths of course. A lot of fatalities have occurred outside of hospital.

But nonetheless this really is an important trend, whatever the reasons behind it. If it continues to drop then soon we will be in the territory of asking if we really need radical measures to control it's spread.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Figure I have in my mind for flu is about 0.5% so some way to go before it's as low as that, if I am right, but it's possible we could be at that sort of level in the coming weeks.

Worth remembering too that this is hospital deaths of course. A lot of fatalities have occurred outside of hospital.

But nonetheless this really is an important trend, whatever the reasons behind it. If it continues to drop then soon we will be in the territory of asking if we really need radical measures to control it's spread.

Perhaps yet more evidence that the virus continues to weaken......................agree re the measures - at this rate we'll soon be at a point where catching won't be a big deal for the vast majority. Hopefully the vaccine will be ready soon so the more vulnerable can be inoculated to avoid having to take additional measures and we can get back to normal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This must surely make the fatality rate as low as, or lower than seasonal flu?!

No. That graph shows the fatality rate amongst hospitalised patients. A massive % of people infected with seasonal flu, would never need hospitalisation, so you'd need to understand what % of Covid patients are, to begin to make that comparison.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

No. That graph shows the fatality rate amongst hospitalised patients. A massive % of people infected with seasonal flu, would never need hospitalisation, so you'd need to understand what % of Covid patients are, to begin to make that comparison.

I disagree to a certain extent. The mortality rate for flu is, I understand ~0.1-0.2%

We know that only a very small proportion of people with COVID are hospitalised. Yes, we don't know how many, but if it's less than around 20%, then it's directly comparable. And this surely seems to be the case?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here