Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Contrast Between Our Goals

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The only easier chance was the penalty and I would contend that the outcome would have been similar and being 1-0 up already would have lifted the pressure off the other chances / finishes against Norwich.

The rest of the time Grant Hanley and eight other yellow clad players were making those chances harder.

The point of the thread is that we scored first for a change and that we won as a result, and that it's easier to kick on when you have the confidence and cushion of the opening goal. But also that the first goal stemmed from quick transition. We don't have a lot of pace in the team but the ball always moves faster than the player anyway.

Yep, goals change games, momentum, belief. Dunk’s been playing a longer ball for a few weeks but not come off until today. We’ve transitioned quickly but with teams like Norwich it’s harder when they retreat so quickly and don’t commit forwards. The Norwich result was frustrating but the performance laid out we were due a result if we kept creating chances, and so it proved today: suddenly a bit of composure when so many snatched at it the previous week. Someone will be along to say they must have been coached better this week.

What I do like is again GP not afraid to change his system or personnel. Takes a lot of criticism when things are going badly but needs a bit of credit when things go well.

D

Deleted member 2719

Didn't see any contrast, both goals had the pull back.

The pull back has always been up there in a higher percentage to score if it goes to a player.
It's easier to score coming back, rather than across and it's easier for the scorer as the marking is never so tight.
Classic football.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I also think you're being generous in 'measured'. He was sold short with the pass, which forced him to be decisive. One of those ones that could have ended up elsewhere.
That said, I've been a little critical of Dunk of late, but he was immense today.

Seen it now, measured is generous, but the one thing it wasn’t was long or direct, he glanced up and played it into a spot where Mwepu was.

Mwepu’s touch was sublime….

Just a great day, still smiling…..

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Perhaps the contrast is between both goals and any we have seen at home. Only the couple against Brentford in 16 home games even compare with these.

I haven’t set them against the pair at Liverpool but all four were fine goals, scored by same players. Maupay didn’t feature in either game. Just saying….

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Seen it now, measured is generous, but the one thing it wasn’t was long or direct, he glanced up and played it into a spot where Mwepu was.

Mwepu’s touch was sublime….

Just a great day, still smiling…..

yeah my first thought was he's walloped it anywhere but 'here' - look again and he gets his head up and passes into space. Got to say that was Lewis' best performance since his comeback.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I dont think Dunk (?) had a lot of intention of doing anything but getting the ball away on the first goal. Brighton definitely tried to play more direct than usual today but it was a little bit flukey that the ball ended up with Mwepu. Overall I dont think the "direct play" game plan worked out that well as the accuracy in passing was quite off and not many chances were created.

The second goal was great, more Brighton-esque stuff that we have seen a lot of times and I'd argue that if any other midfielder in the team gets that chance, the goal is quite unlikely... More Mwepu to the people, please.

Watch again. He looked up, saw the on purpose bent run of Mwepu and the literal acres of space in front of him and absolutely did it on purpose.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I think we should give Dunk a large slice of credit, as GB has pointed out, that ball was par for the course under Hughton. Dunk knew full well that Xhaka was having a holiday yesterday so put the ball right on the money, an element of luck and skill involved, but I’d say the intention was there. Xhaka, allegedly playing left back, was only just arriving in the 18 yard box as Trossard picked his spot.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One constant:-

Veltman celebrates goals like a 6 year old in the playground

[tweet]1512903679430512646[/tweet]

Sadly it was so long ago I can't remember the last time he did that.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Perhaps that now we've 'done it' as in the perfect goal, we can allow ourselves any old fukken type of goal.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think the point about both goals was the passes for the assists were both measured to players in space to have a clear shot. Most of the 31 shots against Norwich occurred when the player was under pressure, but Trossard was 15 yards out and no Arsenal player within 6 yards of him, and the ball was played perfectly for him to run into . I think Welbeck deserves credit as two Arsenal payers go and cover his run, leaving the space for Trossard. Similarly, with Mwepu, albeit a much harder chance, but no-one near enough him to prevent him getting a clean shot away.
Having a split second more to react makes the difference.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
More goals like goal 1 would be nice to see as the different approach can help unlock some of the more robust sides

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It was an excellent long ball wide, the sort that Dunk used to "quarterback" pretty much every game under CH. There are four touches between them playing a loose pass and us scoring.

It absolutely was not a hoof, it was a great pass, but it was forwards at speed and created the space with TheArse out of shape.

Sometimes silence is the best tonic, but the commentator offered absolutely nothing on the move for the first goal. The best she could offer was '1-NIL BRIGHTON'. As if it were 'does not compute....', which would be ironic.

Upson on the other hand, was a total gobshite. Mwepu didn't 'gamble' on moving into that space, he happened to be there ready for a pass.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sorry, what kind of history / post count do I need to make such an observation?

Let's just be clear that I'm not convinced less than a year is enough time to judge what is and is not "Classic NSC" and, by that, I'm inferring that this is not your first ever account..

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Let's just be clear that I'm not convinced less than a year is enough time to judge what is and is not "Classic NSC" and, by that, I'm inferring that this is not your first ever account..

Great stuff, I will bear that in mind for the next four months

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It was an excellent long ball wide, the sort that Dunk used to "quarterback" pretty much every game under CH. There are four touches between them playing a loose pass and us scoring.

It absolutely was not a hoof, it was a great pass, but it was forwards at speed and created the space with TheArse out of shape.

The "loose pass" was Gross (who was being harried) passing in a bit of a panic to Dunk who had 3 players closing in on him fast. Dunk picked out a gorgeous long ball to Mwepu but it was a first-time clearance due to the pressure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here