Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] The continued drop in English language standards.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The one that gets me is using a k instead of a g, as in somethink instead of something.

I even hear it from bloody BBC presenters!

Don't listen to Danny Baker's podcast then as that is produced by Somethin Else.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
So accents annoy you then?

No, not where it's an accent, I quite enjoy an accent.

Just the mispronunciation by someone that otherwise does not have that accent.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That 'want' is more lazy diction than bad English usually though.......just dropping the s from 'wasn't'.............'should of' (written) is a far more serious crime in my view (I can't tell you how often I have to correct this at work, usually from otherwise very bright, almost always uni-educated but young - people). Apparently I am being 'pedantic' when I point this out..............FFS. That, and f***ing grocer's apostrophes that appear when anything is pluralised. Really grinds my gear's. :mad:

Keep up the pedantry! Mrs DiS and I both despair if we get any sort of official or authoritative communication which carries mistakes! It also means we are less inclined to take any notice of it.

If today I were in charge of anything which produced letters or emails to go to customers or clients, I think I would be checking everything.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The one that gets me is using a k instead of a g, as in somethink instead of something.

I even hear it from bloody BBC presenters!
d instead of t is worse

and no g on the end of ing words
Priti Patel is good at doin’ that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not satisfied with the prevalent use of "of" instead of "have", e.g. "You should of listened to that bloke on the radio", or the blackboard nail scraping annoyance of "was" instead of "were", e.g. "We was down the pub last night", I came across another nugget of incendiary grammatical ineptitude today. Instead of the use of "weren't", the knuckle dragging imbecile had the sheer audacity to use "want". I'm actually crying as I write this, e.g. "We want down the pub yesterday, we were at home".

Lord, give me strength.
Please don't go back and look at old David Beckham interviews post match.... " you know. "'

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
‘Reactionary’ when people mean ‘reactive’ and ‘disinterested’ when they mean ‘uninterested’ are particular bugbears of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
oh, and 'very unique'.

It's either unique or it isn't!

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
‘Reactionary’ when people mean ‘reactive’ and ‘disinterested’ when they mean ‘uninterested’ are particular bugbears of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1000 thumbs up for this. However, disinterested is being commonly used by people in the meedja instead of uninterested nowadays. My other major bugbear is the constant use, even on the BBC (!) of 'if' instead of 'whether'.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thick people actually expect articulate people to change to their standards, that ‘new’ words and ways of spelling are somehow cool and acceptable...because they’re too stupid. I was in a cafe recently and ordered the quiche. The server (English!) couldn’t spell it and therefore couldn’t write my order down. Moreover they were so stupid they didn’t think to look at the menu or ask us but immediately scuttled back to ask behind the counter how it was spelt. Honestly, standards are really bad but it’s the ones that think ‘I’ll make up an entirely new language/spelling because the world should revolve around me and it’s not important’ that are more annoying. Spend some bloody time educating yourself rather than taking selfies!!!

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
English is a living language, and it “misuse” and bendabilty is what makes it such a beautiful, joyful language. Just my foughts, innit.

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Thick people actually expect articulate people to change to their standards, that ‘new’ words and ways of spelling are somehow cool and acceptable...because they’re too stupid. I was in a cafe recently and ordered the quiche. The server (English!) couldn’t spell it and therefore couldn’t write my order down. Moreover they were so stupid they didn’t think to look at the menu or ask us but immediately scuttled back to ask behind the counter how it was spelt. Honestly, standards are really bad but it’s the ones that think ‘I’ll make up an entirely new language/spelling because the world should revolve around me and it’s not important’ that are more annoying. Spend some bloody time educating yourself rather than taking selfies!!!

reminds me of my wife's nan, she called it 'quick sherane':clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here