Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Conservative Party leadership contest [Gove to run against Boris (oh, wait)]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'll bet you a squllion pounds that Johnson runs.

wouldn't it be funny (and expensive for you) if he didn't? i have always been unconvinced that he wants the job of PM, it would cramp his style.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My theory. Knows he won't win but splitting the Boris vote gives a free run for May.

It's a post Brexit Leave/Remain stop Boris MayGove pact.

Hmmm. Doesn't the Tory party leadership election rules make this analysis unlikely? My understanding is that the MPs select a short list of two candidates which goes to the membership of the party to make the final selection. In order for your theory to be viable, Gove's candidature has to be designed to make Boris come not second, but at least third amongst MPs. Does that work? I dunno, maybe it does... I do agree that Gove is unlikely to think he's going to win, so he's playing some conspiracy game - I'm just not sure that it's this one; even though it's the most obvious game to play...

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Is Michael Gove qualified to run this United Kingdom? Is he an expert?

last thing you need in a leader is an expert. you need someone who can draft a consistent strategy, pull together a group of people and convince people of the merits of decisions when they are challenging. leave experts to run their field of expertise.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
More likely he has utterly failed to convince anyone in his party over the last few days to vote for a Boris Gove dream team and is going it alone.

Boris wants PM or nothing and Gove who is apparently obsessed with Europe wants to lead the negotiations.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
I imagine they are trying to make sure Boris doesn't get on the ballot to the members because he will probably win that and they'll be left with a Corbyn situation. May, though, I don't think is a PM.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hmmm. Doesn't the Tory party leadership election rules make this analysis unlikely? My understanding is that the MPs select a short list of two candidates which goes to the membership of the party to make the final selection. In order for your theory to be viable, Gove's candidature has to be designed to make Boris come not second, but at least third amongst MPs. Does that work? I dunno, maybe it does... I do agree that Gove is unlikely to think he's going to win, so he's playing some conspiracy game - I'm just not sure that it's this one; even though it's the most obvious game to play...

Without going off to study it again, I believe there are successive rounds of votes from Conservative MPs with the candidate with the least votes dropping out. This continues until there are only two remaining candidates, who then go to a vote amongst the members.

This process can lead to interesting outcomes as it depends on who people have as their 2rd or 3rd choice, and who gets their vote in a round when their first choice is eliminated. For example, in 2005 David Davis received the most votes in the first round, but David Cameron won the second round. What is curious, is that Davis' votes actually went down between Rounds 1 and 2, so there is clearly scope for some tactical voting to come into play too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'll bet you a squllion pounds that Johnson runs.

Johnson will be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I think he loses whatever he does.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The toffs will be fighting amongst themselves for career ambition whilst the country which is needing leadership at the moment suffers, there is only one man at the moment showing the leadership that the country needs right now and that is Nicolas Sturgeon

Sorry, just corrected your obvious mistake.....

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
last thing you need in a leader is an expert. you need someone who can draft a consistent strategy, pull together a group of people and convince people of the merits of decisions when they are challenging. leave experts to run their field of expertise.

I agree entirely. So long as our next leader is not an expert or a foreigner we'll be just fine. We're British and we're better than everyone else. They know it. We know it. Angela Merkel knows it. Scotland, where Michael Gove is from, knows it. He's the man to heal the divide with Scotland and he's the man to lead this country forward and, if necessary, bang his fist on the negotiating table with The EU, shout very loudly in English and tell Johnny foreigner what for.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Terry, Terry, Terry Oi Oi Oi.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Exclusive here is boris's speech announcing he'll stand

'argh yeah, wiff waff, as aristotle once said evoi in inauguri, echi necha dea por vilato

We could be great again. Exporting stuff, cake, yes cake from basildon. Fnar yah'

And there you have it, a clear vision if a future Britain from Boris

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Without going off to study it again, I believe there are successive rounds of votes from Conservative MPs with the candidate with the least votes dropping out. This continues until there are only two remaining candidates, who then go to a vote amongst the members.

This process can lead to interesting outcomes as it depends on who people have as their 2rd or 3rd choice, and who gets their vote in a round when their first choice is eliminated. For example, in 2005 David Davis received the most votes in the first round, but David Cameron won the second round. What is curious, is that Davis' votes actually went down between Rounds 1 and 2, so there is clearly scope for some tactical voting to come into play too.

Interesting. I'm not sure I can be bothered to swot up on the Tory leadership election process. That said, Gove is up to something, and I'd quite like to have an educated guess (or read an educated guess from someone else) as to what it could be!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I agree entirely. So long as our next leader is not an expert or a foreigner we'll be just fine. We're British and we're better than everyone else. They know it. We know it. Angela Merkel knows it. Scotland, where Michael Gove is from, knows it. He's the man to heal the divide with Scotland and he's the man to lead this country forward and, if necessary, bang his fist on the negotiating table with The EU, shout very loudly in English and tell Johnny foreigner what for.

Suddenly I think that Brexit will be all right now, we'll send a couple of gunboats up The Rhine and The Seine and they'll soon see sense.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Interesting. I'm not sure I can be bothered to swot up on the Tory leadership election process. That said, Gove is up to something, and I'd quite like to have an educated guess (or read an educated guess from someone else) as to what it could be!

Whatever he is plotting he isn't as clever as he thinks he is, made a mess of Education and had to be SACKED is on his CV and his wife is as stupid as him and can't send an email to the right person.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

'argh yeah, wiff waff, as aristotle once said evoi in inauguri, echi necha dea por vilato

We could be great again. Exporting stuff, cake, yes cake from basildon. Fnar yah'

this is spot on, why i love Boris, and why he'd be a terrible PM. or any other of the great offices of state, good Deputy PM material though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

I think you might have just won the internet today. A genuine rofl....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here