Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Club's Showboating Video

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the spirit.

I know.

It's so f**king frustrating football is pretty much the definition of cheats prosper.

The thought of governing a sport that can create moments like that, and pretty much legislating it out is beyond comprehension.

All those flailing legs, Sockboy would have tumbled and nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Sockie himself can do that to the opposition but doesn't - why?
Because cheats prosper, in football.

Just imagine being able to do that - but don't do it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I loved all the goals that came at the end of those moves.

Oh....hang on.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Those heady days when a Nathan Jones stepover was the highlight of the season, and managing to hack the ball through a Withdean mud puddle counted as ‘skillz’.

I remember going home excited because I had seen Dan Harding thread a thoughball forward to one of our attacking players, and it had reached him.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Love this sort of stuff. Thanks stato. Who'd have thought that would be us 20 years ago.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I am assuming Gross doubles as the "turn them inside out turns" coach. When he arrived and showed the "Gross Turn" we were all just gobsmacked and now it seems every player has it in their makeup, along with various other trickery to leave bamboozled opposition players thinking how the **** did that happen

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Those heady days when a Nathan Jones stepover was the highlight of the season, and managing to hack the ball through a Withdean mud puddle counted as ‘skillz’.

To be fair, those Paul Watson free kicks directly to Bobster were pretty special too.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Anyone else think that this extra flair - esp the passing - has increased since Mwepu (and maybe Moder) arrived? I've noticed more of our players trying very evolved looking passing since Mwepu rocked up and started doing it.

Players who never used to do this now seemingly doing so at will.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I loved all the goals that came at the end of those moves.

Oh....hang on.....

This occurred to me too, but the video shows these tricks happening all over the pitch and with players in all positions contributing. I think that, counter-intuitively, this kind of stuff is helping us defend. When Potter first arrived it seemed that players were encouraged to enjoy being on the ball and to try to break the press. However, I often watched us and thought that the odds always seemed against us. We had to get everything absolutely spot on in order to get out of tight spots. The better teams had players with such close control that they made what we were trying to do look easy, whilst we were looking like our ambitions were sometimes greater than our abilities. Mistakes that resulted in losing the ball in dangerous areas seemed to see us conceding some goals for which the opponents didn't have to work much.

Its the squad's improvement in doing the kind of thing in this video that has turned this in our favour and seen us able to dominate the midfield in more matches. I think that this contributes to opponents sitting off and trying to contain us. This doesn't necessarily mean we score more, because things become more congested higher up the pitch. We've actually scored one less goal than we had after 22 matches last year, but we have conceded six fewer and have six more points, perhaps because the squad's ability to move the ball so well stops opponents from committing very much forward. Our possession stats are up 5% on last season, so we are keeping the ball more. Its my feeling that more of our possession is happening further forward, but I've been unable to find comparative numbers on the pitch areas of possession, so could be talking a load of old tosh. It wouldn't be the first time.

Another thing we have done really well this year is to get back quickly in numbers when things do break down, reducing the number of goals conceded on the counter. Its good to see that the fancy stuff has been balanced by hard work. I hope that the departure of Dan Burn doesn't hurt us in this area as he has always seemed to me to be one of the hardest workers in doing this.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This occurred to me too, but the video shows these tricks happening all over the pitch and with players in all positions contributing. I think that, counter-intuitively, this kind of stuff is helping us defend. When Potter first arrived it seemed that players were encouraged to enjoy being on the ball and to try to break the press. However, I often watched us and thought that the odds always seemed against us. We had to get everything absolutely spot on in order to get out of tight spots. The better teams had players with such close control that they made what we were trying to do look easy, whilst we were looking like our ambitions were sometimes greater than our abilities. Mistakes that resulted in losing the ball in dangerous areas seemed to see us conceding some goals for which the opponents didn't have to work much.

Its the squad's improvement in doing the kind of thing in this video that has turned this in our favour and seen us able to dominate the midfield in more matches. I think that this contributes to opponents sitting off and trying to contain us. This doesn't necessarily mean we score more, because things become more congested higher up the pitch. We've actually scored one less goal than we had after 22 matches last year, but we have conceded six fewer and have six more points, perhaps because the squad's ability to move the ball so well stops opponents from committing very much forward. Our possession stats are up 5% on last season, so we are keeping the ball more. Its my feeling that more of our possession is happening further forward, but I've been unable to find comparative numbers on the pitch areas of possession, so could be talking a load of old tosh. It wouldn't be the first time.

Another thing we have done really well this year is to get back quickly in numbers when things do break down, reducing the number of goals conceded on the counter. Its good to see that the fancy stuff has been balanced by hard work. I hope that the departure of Dan Burn doesn't hurt us in this area as he has always seemed to me to be one of the hardest workers in doing this.

Excellent post. My comment was tongue in cheek :wink: I love Potter's performance art project. And the more it winds up the old school the more I like it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

How the fudge did The Leeds United get a point from a game they chased shadows for 90mins?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here