Mar 10, 2013
Oh look, more excuses..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I never understood ManU pulling out of the FA Cup to be in another competition at the time

Really? It was very clear - the FA wanted them to withdraw from the FA Cup in order to give England the best possible chance of hosting the 2006 World Cup. It was stated very explicitly at the time:

United say they were left with little choice when the FA told them of the possible risks to England's hopes of staging the World Cup if they did not take part in Fifa's new tournament, the World Club Championship in Brazil next January.

"We had to think of the situation regarding England hosting the World Cup," Ferguson said. "No one wants to see them not get it. I dare not think of the criticism we would have received if we had refused. That was unthinkable - and that's a Scotsman talking."

Edwards echoed those sentiments. "If we had not entered this tournament, England's opportunity to host the 2006 World Cup would have been in jeopardy," he said. "It might even be stronger than that. We've given England an opportunity now. You cannot expect our players to play 70 games. Something had to give. We are disappointed for our supporters. The League couldn't give and neither could the European Cup. For one year the FA Cup has to give."​

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-united-withdraw-from-fa-cup-1103601.html

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Go F.u.c.k. yourself you pious little shit. I've hardly missed a game home and away this season and supporter for over 40 years.

If I choose not to go to a glorified reserve game with all the hassle associated with it then that is my choice but I feel no reason to hang my head in shame. Some people on her really need to grow up over this match.
Did you face any hassle in the league game, is that what has put you off going?

I took the bus in and the train out and it went pretty smoothly from my point of view, dull game as well.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Really? It was very clear - the FA wanted them to withdraw from the FA Cup in order to give England the best possible chance of hosting the 2006 World Cup. It was stated very explicitly at the time:

United say they were left with little choice when the FA told them of the possible risks to England's hopes of staging the World Cup if they did not take part in Fifa's new tournament, the World Club Championship in Brazil next January.

"We had to think of the situation regarding England hosting the World Cup," Ferguson said. "No one wants to see them not get it. I dare not think of the criticism we would have received if we had refused. That was unthinkable - and that's a Scotsman talking."

Edwards echoed those sentiments. "If we had not entered this tournament, England's opportunity to host the 2006 World Cup would have been in jeopardy," he said. "It might even be stronger than that. We've given England an opportunity now. You cannot expect our players to play 70 games. Something had to give. We are disappointed for our supporters. The League couldn't give and neither could the European Cup. For one year the FA Cup has to give."​

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football-united-withdraw-from-fa-cup-1103601.html

then perhaps that says more about the FA rather than the club

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
absolutely not. exactly the same.

At least with the Championship, you had the holy grail to shoot for..the aim when you are there is not to be one of the three worst teams in the Prem.
I guess this years holy grail is staying up.

I'm enjoying the PL myself.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The club aren't interested, and haven't been for many years now, in the FA Cup (and the League cup as well). .

Depends what you mean by interested. The 2 x Arsenal and 2 x Newcastle games were some of the most memorable games at the Amex in the last 7 years, had sell out crowds, were televised (ie: £££) and we played (mostly) full strength sides. Club seemed pretty interested in the FA Cup then.
Last year - away to Lincoln and Home to MK Dons in the middle of a promotion campaign. Perhaps less so.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If this was against any of the top 4 on a Monday night in the FA cup even on TV it would have sold out by now.

No it wouldn't. The opposition has got absolutely nothing to do with it. There are a LOAD of factors as to why this won't sell out, NONE of which are unique to BHAFC by the way. Just have a look at the attendances around the country this FA Cup weekend. It doesn't matter whether we'd be playing CPFC2010, Man Utd, Liverpool or Oxford, there are big factors that dictates empty seats for this:

1. Monday nights are a complete ballache for many
2.There are no trains
3.Its another £25, straight after Christmas
4.Its going to be 2 reserve sides
5.Its on telly anyway
6.The Cup is just not a big priority any more for managers, players or fans

Kick and scream and brandish your SUPERFAN status around as much as you like, but thems the facts as to why it won't sell out. People do have a CHOICE in all this you know. Grow up and accept it.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I guess this years holy grail is staying up.

I'm enjoying the PL myself.

I am also enjoying the games I get to go to ( home games) , they are bloody frustrating, but none the less...

I have a problem with the Chelsea game as I tee off at 8am in a competition if the weather is ok and it is normally a 4 hour round, so I will finish at 12...get changed, jump in the car, park near Mill Hill and get the bus over....not sure what time the last bus leaves Mill Hill....may miss a lot of the first half.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did you face any hassle in the league game, is that what has put you off going?

I took the bus in and the train out and it went pretty smoothly from my point of view, dull game as well.

Good luck with the trains this time...

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
For me, it simply is not worth the costs of 320 miles travel and overnight stay to watch two reserve sides play. In the past I have been to Southend, Oxford, Walsall and Lincoln in cup games and it simply is not worth it. We may well have a reasonable side on paper, but they do not gel as they will not have played as a team. It will be a good training exercise for Tim Krul, FBG, CG, BK, Tomer and hopefully Sam Baldock, which I shall watch from the comfort of my home knowing that I shall not have to put up with the woeful element from Palace and our equally irresponsible contingent.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
No it wouldn't. The opposition has got absolutely nothing to do with it. There are a LOAD of factors as to why this won't sell out, NONE of which are unique to BHAFC by the way. Just have a look at the attendances around the country this FA Cup weekend. It doesn't matter whether we'd be playing CPFC2010, Man Utd, Liverpool or Oxford, there are big factors that dictates empty seats for this:

2.There are no trains
3.Its another £25, straight after Christmas
4.Its going to be 2 reserve sides
5.Its on telly anyway
6.The Cup is just not a big priority any more for managers, players or fans

Kick and scream and brandish your SUPERFAN status around as much as you like, but thems the facts as to why it won't sell out. People do have a CHOICE in all this you know. Grow up and accept it.
Not “SUPERFANS” just fans.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
2.There are no trains

Why are Monday nights any different to Tuesday nights? And there will be some trains for sure.

But i know there are plenty of reasons why people aren't going - which makes it more surprising that the club seem unwiling to encourage fans to attend. £10 tickets and 20 loyalty points and the stadium would be full.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Good luck with the trains this time...
I’m not staying overnight this time, I’ve got work on Tuesday.

Just the 400 mile round trip and the delights of the Bridge car park to contend with.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
The club's attitude towards his game, being so anal about it in every aspect, and the no show supporters who are not going because of last time are both an absolute disgrace.

You are correct, they are our fiercest and biggest rivals, irrespective of the reason for the game the stadium should be rammed to the rafters.

If this was against any of the top 4 on a Monday night in the FA cup even on TV it would have sold out by now.

I get not selling out against York on a Monday night on the TV but not this one.

Club and no show supporters on this one hang your head in shame.

(No show for work and genuine reasons etc are forgiven, the lame I'm scared, its hassle etc are not)

I don’t know of any fans not going because of what happened in the previous game. I know of plenty who are not going for numerous other reasons.

Not sure what the club can do about that, short of sending the Gestapo round to each supporters home and frogmarching them to the game. Presumably, if the weather is bad on Monday night, that’ll be the club’s fault too?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not “SUPERFANS” just fans.

Its more black and white than that for the grizzlers.

Those that are going are the superfans BECAUSE ITS PALACE and they're the ones who "GET" the rivalry.
Those that aren't going are lilly-livered yogurt-knitting bobble-hatted plastic JCL's who are terrified of a couple of hoodies and don't like loud bangs.

That's been the narrative for weeks now,and its gotten old, real quick.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Why are Monday nights any different to Tuesday nights? And there will be some trains for sure.

But i know there are plenty of reasons why people aren't going - which makes it more surprising that the club seem unwiling to encourage fans to attend. £10 tickets and 20 loyalty points and the stadium would be full.

No, more people would buy tickets and then not turn up like Bournemouth away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Midweek games at the Amex are always a bit of a nause, but nearly everyone still goes because most of us have already paid for it. But if its one we have to shell out £25 for, and its on telly, and its only the Cup, then its hardly surprising that quite a few will choose a barstool instead.

And I guess there will be SOME trains - but you and I both know that a limited (or potentially non-existent) service from Southern is an almighty great clusterfvck just waiting to happen. That factor alone makes this game one to avoid.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Go F.u.c.k. yourself you pious little shit. I've hardly missed a game home and away this season and supporter for over 40 years.

If I choose not to go to a glorified reserve game with all the hassle associated with it then that is my choice but I feel no reason to hang my head in shame. Some people on her really need to grow up over this match.
Post of the year so far.

Well said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here