Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Chicken Run......

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'll continue this when you're less abusive, which presumably means when sober.

You are a one Notts..... but I’m not falling for your tomfoolery... now get to bed before your hot water bottle gets cold you silly old sausage.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Yeah, my first game in '67 was in the Chicken Run with dad & uncle.

Anyone know why it was called the "chicken run"? Maybe we were so couped-up in there?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Who actually remembers our ‘Chicken Run’ with transfers to the big boys area.

I watched all the action from the 'Chicken Run' during the 1966-67 season (1 shilling at the Gate) before graduating to the North Stand the following season. Great memories!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Got soaked on many occasions.

likewise . . .this was the last time . . . Joe,R&S@goldstone.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Saw my first game on the Chicken Run in 1967 and saw my last game (the Doncaster one) there. I spent a lot of time in-between in the North Stand but still came back to the Chicken Run from time to time. I spent most of the early mid-70s there in a regular spot, just north of the halfway line. Peter Cleall (Duffy in Please Sir) was a regular there too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My Dad would only ever go in the East Terrace on the half way line, being only 5'7" he couldn't see the far goal, if he was behind a goal. I started going with him in 61.
The exception being Boxing Day 78 when we took my son aged 8, and we went in the South which was the family stand. Even though we won 5-0, he still moaned he couldn't see the north goal.

Best Foot Forward

Apr 29, 2008
Burgess Hill
Spent many seasons on the East Terrace. First taken by my Dad when 8 years old.....complete with milk crate to stand on at the front.

How times have changed.....can't even take a bottle top in these days!!

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
I have very fond memories
Have not actually heard the real reasons as to why
it’s called then chicken run
One account is that is it was the terrace where all the chickens stood meaning those
who didn’t like a tear up anyone any other versions

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm confused, who is correct above?

I always called the whole of the East Terrace, the chicken run or East Terrace, apart from the North East corner ( away fans pen )

Yeah, rightly or wrongly back in the 1960s we always referred to the whole of the East Terrace as the 'chicken run'. Even then I think there were one or two who just said it was a specific section so I don't know who's right. The term did seem to drop out of use though in latter years when it was always just referred to as the 'East Terrace'.

Like for many other it was my starting place at the Goldstone in 1966. Sixpence for kids I think it was, that's six old pence or two and half of today's new-fangled decimal pennies. And we used to go as a load of unaccompanied 8 and 9 year olds and no one batted an eyelid. I do remember the transfers but I could never afford them, my mum only gave me enough for the train fare and the admission.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have very fond memories
Have not actually heard the real reasons as to why
it’s called then chicken run
One account is that is it was the terrace where all the chickens stood meaning those
who didn’t like a tear up anyone any other versions

I think this as well

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I recall my last very very well.....

[yt]Cp4q-LIIkqw[/yt]

[yt]WtllMWLWn7s[/yt]

Am i correct in thinking there was a naked man on the chicken run that day.....

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Strictly, the Chicken Run was the area at the front of the East Terrace, near the halfway line, that was cheaper than the rest of the East. It was so called because it was long and shallow and fenced in to enforce the cheaper price, resembling a real Chicken Run.

Subsequently, when the East became all one price, the fencing was removed but the whole of the East continued to be referred to as the Chicken Run. This was around the late 60s I believe but would welcome a more accurate dating.

It wasn't there when I started going with my Dad in 71. I stood on the East with my family between 73 and 79, first of all at the front on a small wooden stool, then on the bar above the walkway with the best view in the ground. A golden era!

PG

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Strictly, the Chicken Run was the area at the front of the East Terrace, near the halfway line, that was cheaper than the rest of the East. It was so called because it was long and shallow and fenced in to enforce the cheaper price, resembling a real Chicken Run.

Subsequently, when the East became all one price, the fencing was removed but the whole of the East continued to be referred to as the Chicken Run. This was around the late 60s I believe but would welcome a more accurate dating.

It wasn't there when I started going with my Dad in 71. I stood on the East with my family between 73 and 79, first of all at the front on a small wooden stool, then on the bar above the walkway with the best view in the ground. A golden era!

PG

Yes, thank you, that sounds extreme;y plausible. It's all so long ago and I only have have vague memories, but I do remember we had to go in the cheapest section.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Can someone help an old man recover his memory?
I was a regular in the East, having moved over from the south, around early to mid 70's. Definitely still there in 79/80. But when did the West standing season tickets come in? As a group of 6 to 10 guys we all bought ST's and moved over to the south end of the west but cant remember when.
Strange thing is, even though it was standing, everyone had there 'own place'. Ours being about 15 to 20 steps up right on the half way line and we knew everyone around us.

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Is my memory playing tricks or did they open the gates at half-time to let people without tickets into the chicken run?

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Is my memory playing tricks or did they open the gates at half-time to let people without tickets into the chicken run?

They opened the gates normally about 20-25 minutes before the end of the game. All round the ground and at most other grounds as well. Unless we had not-so-nice visiting fans.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62

PG

Certainly by the early 60's the 'chicken run' had gone. I could stand on my metal biscuit tin on the front wall as close as we could get to the halfway line. It had been a mesh-fenced area on the halfway line where you paid extra to go in (don't know how you got to the bogs though!)

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
My first game was 60 or 61. I was on the East with my Dad and don't recall a separate fenced area.

I started going on my own in 63, standing on a stool at the front. There was definitely no separate fenced area then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here