Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The cheating in "professional" football

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
The display of cheating today by Milwall was remarkable.

All this rolling about on the floor faking injury to stop play when you lose the ball, falling over when tackled and time wasting nonsense is just blatant cheating.

They are not the only team to do this, but are the worse I have seen at the Amex.

Something needs to be done about this. It's ruining football IMO.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I thought Buckley was going to get a card when he kicked the goalie when he went down.

Apparently he did it because the referee hadn't blown his whistle and the keeper nearly dropped the ball. I thought he was going to get booked too though.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Almost as irritating is players who are subbed taking fekin ages to get off the pitch (all payers) ...thy should change the rules so thy exit at the closest point.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The display of cheating today by Milwall was remarkable.

All this rolling about on the floor faking injury to stop play when you lose the ball, falling over when tackled and time wasting nonsense is just blatant cheating.

They are not the only team to do this, but are the worse I have seen at the Amex.

Something needs to be done about this. It's ruining football IMO.

Completely agree. I started a thread on Saturday on a similar vein about Forest. I hate this sort of thing in football, even when Albion players do it. Something needs to be done to eradicate it.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
The away teams this season seem to be doing it much more, because they know when we can get momentum going we can be quite a tough team to stop, and this is their only way of breaking up the rhythm.

But saying that, Notts County did it to us in the play-off final of 91, when we had started to get back in the game, bastards!

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Double post

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Their pathetically fragile players were certainly a stark contrast to the Grant Mitchell look-a-like convention that graced us with their presence this evening. What a bunch of tossers.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Completely agree. I started a thread on Saturday on a similar vein about Forest. I hate this sort of thing in football, even when Albion players do it. Something needs to be done to eradicate it.

Yep.

It will never happen though. I had a run out for my brother-in-law's Sunday league team at weekend having not played for a number of years due to injury and am sad to see this behaviour has crept in at this level too.

Tackled this one young whippersnapper fair and square and he went down like he had been shot, howling in pain. I duly got a yellow and then next minute he was fine, running around like a spring chicken.

I made sure I clobbered him properly next time he got the ball.

Just bloody cheating, and our youngsters learn this from the "professionals" they see on TV and live at places like the Amex.

How about a rule that says every time the physio has to come on to attend to an injury, or the ref is forced to stop play to attend to one that player must spend a minimum of 5 minutes off the pitch being treated. Seems fair to me.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Almost as irritating is players who are subbed taking fekin ages to get off the pitch (all payers) ...thy should change the rules so thy exit at the closest point.

Yes gets almost laughable at times. Player's number gets held up but delayed reaction before they recognise its them,start jog-shuffle off so slowly they appear to be going backwards, pausing for flamboyant applause to the away end before stopping to high five their team mate coming on!

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How about a rule that says every time the physio has to come on to attend to an injury, or the ref is forced to stop play to attend to one that player must spend a minimum of 5 minutes off the pitch being treated. Seems fair to me.

Imagine we are playing, let's say, dirty Leeds. They hammer into Buckley, he's off for five minutes, next they take out Vicente, of he goes, quickly followed by CMS etc......

Hardly fair for genuine injuries and would give a dirty team the advantage.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Imagine we are playing, let's say, dirty Leeds. They hammer into Buckley, he's off for five minutes, next they take out Vicente, of he goes, quickly followed by CMS etc......

True.

Perhaps there isnt an obvious solution then.

It really is ruining the game tho.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I liked the way that the keepers stubbed toe gave Millwall the chance for a nice team talk down on the touch line. Convenient that.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Should do what they do in rugby and just play on and let them get attention whilst the game continues around them.

But you can't do that for a head injury (which is fair enough) but Millwall had about 24 "head injuries". I've never complained to the FA / Football league about a referee, but I think I'll be writing to them about Millwall. How can EVERY injury be a head injury?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has Neil Warnock opened a " how to take the sting out of a team when they are pressing" clinic? I half expected to see him on the Millwall bench directing the cheating.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia

If they are "genuine injuries", they should need at least a few minutes on the sidelines. I would say 90% of players who receive attention on the field could quite easily get up and play on. I agree with [MENTION=18485]matt_32510[/MENTION], just let the game continue around them as happens in rugby and Australian football. Only stop play for serious head injuries or if a stretcher is called for (followed by a period of time off the pitch for the injured player).

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The rules regarding this are a shambles, for example a player gets fouled in a dangerous position on the pitch, he requires treatment yet has to come off the pitch for the resulting free kick which gives the team a disadvantage.

Don't know if it would work but maybe if a player is fouled he gets treatment and can stay on the pitch... But if a foul is not given and a player goes down he has to wait 2-3 mins before allowing him back on. I know there will be examples of situations where that might not be fair but after watching Millwall and a couple of other teams try and break up the game with these tactics I would say the current situation isn't fair either.

Something has to be done to stop the mindless time wasting and spoiling tactics that some players/teams use

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Hang on a cotton picking minute........Adam el abd had made a career of hurling himself to the ground and winding players up....sometimes embarrassingly so.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If they are "genuine injuries", they should need at least a few minutes on the sidelines. I would say 90% of players who receive attention on the field could quite easily get up and play on. I agree with [MENTION=18485]matt_32510[/MENTION], just let the game continue around them as happens in rugby and Australian football. Only stop play for serious head injuries or if a stretcher is called for (followed by a period of time off the pitch for the injured player).

That's the key bit, if its serious, head injury, or debilitated then get a stretcher, and you are off for minimum of 5 minutes. After all, the physio has a duty of care to check there are no long term problems, especially after a head injury. that'll make them think twice about faking it, the other wimps can be treated on the pitch as the game continues, and they can still be offside if the ball is played forward, regardless.

The FA/FIFA have the power to all but eradicate the modern feeble cheating blight, together with retrospective 12 month bans for video evidence showing diving and other cheating. Just why they won't address it seems wrong to me, what are they really afraid of?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here