[Football] The Championship 2023/24

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play-offs certainly making the strong case for VAR. An MK Dons player who later scored committed an obvious red card offence (was after the match given a 3 game ban) but not picked up by ref. It didn’t matter as it wasn’t a close game but tonight’s game is

Justice done

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Leeds v Southampton. HUMDINGER. I'll order in the pizza now.

Refs made up for by giving one that I don’t think was….cracking watch without VAR
W Brom had plenty of chances to equalise after the ref screw up

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Play-offs certainly making the strong case for VAR. An MK Dons player who later scored committed an obvious red card offence (was after the match given a 3 game ban) but not picked up by ref. It didn’t matter as it wasn’t a close game but tonight’s game is
Gross was elbowed in the face a while back. VAR didn't intervene. Guy went on to score the winner against us.

Not really a strong case for VAR.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Obviously I want the Stains to win.

Apart from anything else, it'd properly piss off Pompey, who'd still be the South Coast's crappiest club.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Apart from anything else, it'd properly piss off Pompey, who'd still be the South Coast's crappiest club.
I share that feeling. I keep reminding my kids that up to second half of 70s, Portsmouth were our real rivals

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I share that feeling. I keep reminding my kids that up to second half of 70s, Portsmouth were our real rivals
Which is kind of odd because they had only been in our league on three occasions post war up till then and considered Southampton to be their rivals.

I think our rivals are the teams that we are most engaged with in direct competition each season. Anything else is just artificial creation really. It is an odd human habit to need to hate/be hated to feel some form of validation.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Haha, no they weren't. For a rivalry to exist, there has to be that feeling both sides of the divide. We've only played them 44 times in our history and until 1976 we'd only played them 19 times. I wonder how many Portsmouth fans would name Brighton as their rival?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

100% Saints, the whole point of Pompey's pathetic existence is playing South Coast Football Club again, would be hilario if they go up, plus at the expense of Leeds, what's not to like?

Which reminds me, why were SFC called 'South Coast Football Club' for a period in the newsprint league tables? Something to do with The Sun?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
100% Saints, the whole point of Pompey's pathetic existence is playing South Coast Football Club again, would be hilario if they go up, plus at the expense of Leeds, what's not to like?

Which reminds me, why were SFC called 'South Coast Football Club' for a period in the newsprint league tables? Something to do with The Sun?
A previous Southampton chairman (think it may have been the ever tolerant Rupert Lowe) tried to charge the press for covering their games such as photographs etc. They refused and some then refused to name Southampton in the match reports and didn't use any photos

Edited to add I just checked and lowe left in 2006 so it wasn't him

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The fact that it’s Southampton is neither here nor there. The important thing is that the promoted team is “Not Leeds”. With the possible exception of Palace, I’d back literally anyone over them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A previous Southampton chairman (think it may have been the ever tolerant Rupert Lowe) tried to charge the press for covering their games such as photographs etc. They refused and some then refused to name Southampton in the match reports and didn't use any photos

Edited to add I just checked and lowe left in 2006 so it wasn't him
It was Nicola Cortese.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Haha, no they weren't. For a rivalry to exist, there has to be that feeling both sides of the divide. We've only played them 44 times in our history and until 1976 we'd only played them 19 times. I wonder how many Portsmouth fans would name Brighton as their rival?
They wouldn’t, but I can remember my Dad saying the same thing, and him having been to football since the 40s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports