The British Open

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Still hopefull of watching England/Wales on friday..unless Sky nab that aswell...Test matches/football long ago,Was it half of Formula one last year..Now Golf...Next Wimbledon??

Whilst I cannot fault them for wanting best deal today...I am convinced long term audience/support will diminish.

I`ve never had sky and several friends are giving it up as they (sky) keep pushing up costs and charging for many extras.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What have the BBC got to do with sport?
They are more than happy to pay Hanson £3 million a year to talk nothing on MOTD but not spend anything on auctions to keep sport.

The Open is on the protected list but in Group B which means only the highlights are free to air..

Group A (Full live coverage protected)

Olympic Games
Fifa World Cup finals
European Football Championship finals
FA Cup final
Scottish FA Cup final (protected in Scotland)
Grand National
Epsom Derby
Wimbledon tennis finals
Rugby League Challenge Cup Final
Rugby World Cup final

Group B (Highlights only on free-to-air TV)

This secondary list would be scrapped.

England's home cricket Test matches
Other matches, excluding finals, at Wimbledon Championships
Other matches, excluding final, at Rugby World Cup
Six Nations matches involving home countries
Commonwealth Games
World Athletics Championships
Cricket World Cup - final, semi-finals and matches involving home nations
Ryder Cup
Open golf championship

So on the Group A list they have TWO horse racing events but NO cricket, it's ridiculous when you consider how everyone got behind the 2005 Ashes series.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A dumb move by the R&A, whilst they have some more money they will now drastically slash the audience for what is their sport's biggest annual showcase. The BBC do an excellent job covering The Open and it is available to all. I can see the interest in the general public falling after this announcement. Does the R&A really need the money? what do they do with it.

A sad day for British golf.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
A dumb move by the R&A, whilst they have some more money they will now drastically slash the audience for what is their sport's biggest annual showcase. The BBC do an excellent job covering The Open and it is available to all. I can see the interest in the general public falling after this announcement. Does the R&A really need the money? what do they do with it.

A sad day for British golf.

Quite right.The number of golfers in the UK is in decline and this will only accentuate the problem.

Some really dumb views on this thread by the way re the BBC licence fee.

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I'm so sorry I spoiled your day by getting the title of the event wrong.

Forgive me.

Very very funny response! You could never spoil my day over such a matter but the fact is iits never been been called the British Open as it's the centrepiece of Golf And that's why it's called the Open.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here