Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The British Caledonian Kit

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I met Tony Millard several times - I used to play as a ringer for South Sound Radio Allstars in charity football matches for various good causes. He would play, get us the Albion kit to wear, and in the summer, rope in a couple of Albion players to help pull in the spectators.

Over the years I turned out with Danny Wilson, Terry Connor, Gary O'Reilly, + others and Chris Catlin too after he was dumped. Always with TM bossing the game, not from a footballing sense, but from a "I hold all the strings and it's my ball" kind of perspective. Never had any real run-ins with the fella but I could tell he wasn't liked by all ....

Think he played cricket for Haywards Heath too - just a bit full of himself.

Anyways, RIP TM 0898

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
It's my understanding that the fans replicas, which were all blue, had 'British Caledonian'. There were no yellow replica shirt sold to my knowledge.

The players shirts had variously both 'British Caledonian' and 'British Caledonian Airways', not sure of the whys and wherefores, but if you have 'Airways' on your shirt, then it is definitely a players shirt. There's even a team photo with the players wearing both types in the same photo.
Here's mine. 👇
FFBD27B7-FA9F-4312-B59E-52522FCAB095.jpeg

31C3473A-4E2C-4CD8-B567-1AC4A4B0963A.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not many of the companies that had prominent advertising at the Goldstone still seem to be in existence!
Tamplins ???

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
British Caledonian stemmed from British United and Caledonian Airways.
Just as well - Albion and United could be confusing on the same shirt.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Here you go, mixed messages 😃

Attachments

• FB6A868C-2FD1-4E24-8569-ECFEB3FC218E.jpeg
    FB6A868C-2FD1-4E24-8569-ECFEB3FC218E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 39

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Here you go, mixed messages 😃
Did they just have not enough of either option. I know we weren't that flush, but you would have thought somebody would have noticed at the time.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Did they just have not enough of either option. I know we weren't that flush, but you would have thought somebody would have noticed at the time.
No idea, I think they will have all been produced by adidas. Perhaps the original idea was to include ‘Airways’ but when they went to produce replica shirts, which were predominantly kids sizes back then, there wasn’t enough space for three lines of text so they dropped ‘airways’, and the team continued to use the shirts that had been produced already.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
My recollection was that BC insisted on a blank shirt and Bamber took the money. It went down like a lead balloon with the fans at the time.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
What an odious advert that was.
Did you honestly think that at the time though?
Look at the advert properly, they are all men in suits, all 'businessmen'. It was a time before someone cottoned onto the fact that you could sell holidays to 'families'. Rather than an 'odious' advert, it was an advert of it's time. We're probably looking at things in a diff way, to me it demonstrates how far our society has come within a short time (in a historical sense). It's a society 'time stamp', shame there isn't a company today that would be brave enough to put that out as a social experiment to see how far attitudes to women and their 'place' has actually changed. It's changed a lot for the good, I would expect a lot of men to have a twitter meltdown about that advert today. It's good to see how times have changed don't know exactly when that advert was done but in the early 80's women began to say eff off, I can do the same job as a man & started working in the city wearing power suits. It may have been something like that advert that annoyed women so much that they subconsciously (or consciously) started a change within society. :unsure:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here