Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The British Caledonian Kit

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Filmed in Horsham outside my mate's house, who like me was an aircraft engineer for BCal

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Did you honestly think that at the time though?
Look at the advert properly, they are all men in suits, all 'businessmen'. It was a time before someone cottoned onto the fact that you could sell holidays to 'families'. Rather than an 'odious' advert, it was an advert of it's time. We're probably looking at things in a diff way, to me it demonstrates how far our society has come within a short time (in a historical sense). It's a society 'time stamp', shame there isn't a company today that would be brave enough to put that out as a social experiment to see how far attitudes to women and their 'place' has actually changed. It's changed a lot for the good, I would expect a lot of men to have a twitter meltdown about that advert today. It's good to see how times have changed don't know exactly when that advert was done but in the early 80's women began to say eff off, I can do the same job as a man & started working in the city wearing power suits. It may have been something like that advert that annoyed women so much that they subconsciously (or consciously) started a change within society. :unsure:
Yeah, I thought that at the time. Cue the ‘lighten up’ comments but I was brought up to respect women. A bunch of sleazy businessmen ogling young women has always been odious.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
No idea, I think they will have all been produced by adidas. Perhaps the original idea was to include ‘Airways’ but when they went to produce replica shirts, which were predominantly kids sizes back then, there wasn’t enough space for three lines of text so they dropped ‘airways’, and the team continued to use the shirts that had been produced already.
Wasn’t there a rule that the sponsors logo had to be a certain size - as I don’t recall the home shirt being worn with the airways added in a match. Then again that doesn’t account for the away shirt with airways added

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Wasn’t there a rule that the sponsors logo had to be a certain size - as I don’t recall the home shirt being worn with the airways added in a match. Then again that doesn’t account for the away shirt with airways added
My shirt is matchworn by Steve Gatting, with the ‘Airways’ on it. Not sure about the size thing, as you say, the away shirt had ‘Airways’ on it too.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
My shirt is matchworn by Steve Gatting, with the ‘Airways’ on it. Not sure about the size thing, as you say, the away shirt had ‘Airways’ on it too.
Just checked - the rule about the size was when they allowed sponsored shirts in TV games - it had to be 32 inches square or less. So nothing to do with the extra AIrways at all

Jul 7, 2003

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks mate, I wonder what Mr 0898‘s cut was from the £180k?😂

Things must have moved quickly with the monies, that was 1980,I seem to recall reading, probably Shoot, that Liverpool’s deal with Hitachi in 1979 was a flat £100,000, so clearly once one club put their toe in the water it all gathered momentum.

Do we know which EPL club currently gets paid the most for its shirt sponsor?
Manchester United are on a £75m basic plus a relatively small royalty per unit which took it to £76.4m last season.

if the Rags fail To qualify for Champions League two consecutive seasons then the guaranteed sum falls by 30%.

Liverpool are on a £30m basic from Nike but 20% commission per unit

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, I thought that at the time. Cue the ‘lighten up’ comments but I was brought up to respect women. A bunch of sleazy businessmen ogling young women has always been odious.
Life was fun back then. That ad was fun. Did anyone complain at the time? Not that I'm aware of. Did any women I knew at the time complain? No, they all thought it was fun too. And, believe it or not, most enjoyed being attractive and wearing attractive and flattering uniforms. And they also enjoyed "ogling" young men. Forward 50 years and we're all worried that whatever we do may offend someone, or upset someone who's being offended on behalf of someone else. Lighten up people.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Inspired by this thread, I ordered one of these. Let’s see what it’s like when (if?) it arrives!

The one I ordered off the club shop arrived this morning.
Until I tried it on, I hadn't noticed how utterly stupid that collar is. On the plus side I can just fold it in and pretend it doesn't exist.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Until I tried it on, I hadn't noticed how utterly stupid that collar is. On the plus side I can just fold it in and pretend it doesn't exist.
Still waiting for mine. Yes, that collar has kept me awake at nights too, I hope it will fit through the letter box when it arrives!

Jul 7, 2003
Club one doesn't have the adidas logo and stripes though as far as I remember

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here