Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Boxing Day 1901 Food Thread Special

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wait until Chris Hughton takes over. The place will be swarming with lefties.

I never knew this. So, it's now a toss-up between Comrade Hughton and DDR Uwe. The agony of choice.

Good grief! It's alarmingly easy to be taken seriously on NSC and, before you know where you are, a jocular contribution to a silly bit of banter can get out of hand. I doubt if Chris Hughton' s political history amounts to any sort of millstone round his neck - although I admire the fact that he once refused to travel to Apartheid South Africa. By all accounts, even he can't remember what he wrote when he was a columnist for the WRP rag. Because the world is a better place for having folk living in it who care about how things are organised, I'd like everyone to have some sort of political history, but it's not compulsory. Chris Hughton ticks a few boxes, though, and I find that interesting. As for whether I ever read The News Line, all I will say is that I possess a copy of their photo-history of the miners' strike, but treasure it more for the fact that it is signed by Arthur Scargill.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Butlins? With the working classes?

El Raval, Barcelona. A fascinating and interesting study in urban regeneration. The wife used to live here when it was a slum and I've been coming on-off for some time now. I recommend it.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Good grief! It's alarmingly easy to be taken seriously on NSC and, before you know where you are, a jocular contribution to a silly bit of banter can get out of hand. I doubt if Chris Hughton' s political history amounts to any sort of millstone round his neck - although I admire the fact that he once refused to travel to Apartheid South Africa. By all accounts, even he can't remember what he wrote when he was a columnist for the WRP rag. Because the world is a better place for having folk living in it who care about how things are organised, I'd like everyone to have some sort of political history, but it's not compulsory. Chris Hughton ticks a few boxes, though, and I find that interesting. As for whether I ever read The News Line, all I will say is that I possess a copy of their photo-history of the miners' strike, but treasure it more for the fact that it is signed by Arthur Scargill.

Come the revolution LB that book will be worth a fortune - Oh hang on a mo........

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Just to clarify, am I allowed to continue my membership of the Labour Party and have a season ticket for the West Stand Upper or are they philosophical too disparate?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just to clarify, am I allowed to continue my membership of the Labour Party and have a season ticket for the West Stand Upper or are they philosophical too disparate?
Yes, yes you can, but what you cant do is become a member of the "elite" 1901 club and post pictures to us mere mortals of how wonderful it is, and look at what I've had for lunch guessing games, if that's ok with you of course?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
As we wall know, ploughman's lunches were exclusively an invention of brewerys in the 1950's to get punters into pubs at lunchtime. In fact up til the 80's most farmers would have nothing more than beer and meat for lunch. But here it is, the football ploughmans.

Spuds, not very well cooked spuds, on a ploughmans? I'm all for a nibble at the game but I reckon I could stuff all that lot in the small piece of baguette they have furnished you with and polish it off in 4 bites. The spuds pose a conundrum, I couldn't in all consciousness put them inside the baguette so I suppose a quick chomp inbetween mouthfuls of that economy pressed meat they've provided. What's that on the lettuce leaf? It matters not, it looks like seafood sticks smooshed up with mayonnaise?
Definitely a stop to McDonalds on the way home after that.
A tenner? Hmmm, yeah, just, just about acceptable, I'd say given the small piece of mousetrap cheese, 1 lettuce leaf, water fed economy ham slices, pre sliced pickles, and 3 chopped up spuds, I'd give it an Asda price of £1.99 tops, it's the culinary equivalent of a shrug. A shrug on a plate.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What is incomprehensible about my post? I believe it makes perfect sense. Maybe it is 'incomprehensible' to you because you don't agree with what I'm saying? What is your rationale for calling me a lunatic? Are you questoning my mental wellbeing because you don't agree with what I'm saying? As for UKIP what have they got to do with it?

You sir, are bent.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Just the leftovers from Christmas and Boxing Day looked a bit like the ploughman's in this thread I would say the cost was about £10 for two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here