Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Board have bottled it haven't they?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
being realistic i can see maybe 2pts out of the next 5 games...don't think we will beat hartlepool and we will get an away draw hopefully at s'oton

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I'm quite calm thanks. I'm not the one screaming for the managers head after a shit start to a season (and it IS just a start), and I'm not the one assuming a new manager, the TENTH in 9 seasons, would come in, click his fingers and have us storming up the league.

I think we all need to calm down a bit and give the guy a chance. The start has been abysmal, there's no getting away from that fact. But the problems on the pitch are far from insurmountable. For me its a case of a bit of tweaking, rather than wholesale panic-stations-get-rid-of-the-manager RIGHT NOW time.

3 wins in 14 games is a run of form. A run of POOR form for sure, but its not necessarily an indicator for an entire season.
I totally agree. Anyway look at the next 5 league games a new manager would have: Hartlepool (H), Southampton (A), Leeds (H), Norwich (A), Charlton (H).

If a new manager comes in and gets less than a couple of wins out of that lot, you will have fans (a) saying we should have kept Slade (b) he is still trying to sort out Slades mess and/or (c) they are tough games and you can't really expect a lot of points from them.

If Slade stays and gets less than a couple of wins you will have fans saying (a) we should have got rid of Slade (b) Slade is still trying to sort our Micky Adams' mess and/or (c) they are tough games and you can't really expect a lot of points from them.

My view is that Slade should have until at least Christmas to get things moving in the right direction. Sacking him now would achieve nothing.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Think about this right.
We should beat Hartlepool or at least get a draw.
But in November, i can't see us getting a single point from the games we have.
So why bother keeping Slade in for games we have already lost?
What happens if we get no points in November? Then where do the "give him until Christmas" lot stand?
We are a shit team, lets not kid ourselves, and Leeds, Charlton, Norwich and Saints will rip us to shreds/

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Think about this right.
We should beat Hartlepool or at least get a draw.
But in November, i can't see us getting a single point from the games we have.
So why bother keeping Slade in for games we have already lost?
We are a shit team, lets not kid ourselves, and Leeds, Charlton, Norwich and Saints will rip us to shreds/

Why bother bringing in someone to lose when Slade can do it. Bring someone else in and lose those four games the players think "we're useless, even changing the manager did nothing" and now the new manager loses the team.

Keep slade in, have a new manager come in after those four losses and have a fresh start with out the handicap of four losses.

Or better yet, look at the leicester game last year, look at the game against man city. Remember the against-the-odds successes and perhaps think "We can get something. We have a habit of over achieiving against big teams, those wins could give Slade and the boys the confidence and momentum to push on."

Arthur Scrace

Jul 21, 2009
I see Man Utd almost sacked Ferguson after 3 years because he hadn't won any silverware. I wonder if they're now glad they didn't.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I see Man Utd almost sacked Ferguson after 3 years because he hadn't won any silverware. I wonder if they're now glad they didn't.

Hello newby! Not winning any silverware, and playing shite and being in the relegation zone on merit, are two different things. Even with Adams, and his draws, there was reason to hope that they could be turned into victories (unfortunately they went the other way!), but we are just f***ing embarrising at the moment!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
But yeah fine shout everyone down who does not hold your views.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, I seem to remember you "shouting me down" for not agreeing with you on another thread (Jamie rednapp for manager ...or something like that)

:)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Hello newby! Not winning any silverware, and playing shite and being in the relegation zone on merit, are two different things. Even with Adams, and his draws, there was reason to hope that they could be turned into victories (unfortunately they went the other way!), but we are just f***ing embarrising at the moment!

Funny, barring saturday's game, I'd say all the football I've seen this year is better than anything I saw under Adams, and more reason to have hope this year.

Are you special? :)

My mum says I am.

Though in all seriousness, given what I've seen so far, yes, it is attainable. It requires the team cutting out silly mistakes and indiscipline, and the defence and midfield trying to get forward and make an effort to score, we can make the play offs.

Our current former doesn't necessarily point to this being a likely outcome, but that doesn't mean it isn't realistic to see promotion as attainable.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Over recent seasons the club has sacked the following :

McGhee when doing a decent job (and since interviewed for the Scottish Manager job)

Wilkins (after having achieved very good results)

Adams (after disappointing results but now doing a decent job at Port Vale)

We are now no further forward and contemplating another dismissal. This simply will not work and achieve for the club. We are not out of touch with many in the league and we all need to pull together. Our recent history of manager treatment is appalling.

A replacement is no guarantee of results. It takes time to build a team. Many years ago we hired the best management partnership in the country in Clough and Taylor. In the first year we narrowly avoided relegation. In the second Clough left and Taylor enearthed Ward but failed in a promotion bid and resigned. Mullery then arrived and the rest is history.

At present we are competing but at the lower end of the Division. That is really what our defence is currently worth. Once the manager improves that results will follow.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
Over recent seasons the club has sacked the following :

McGhee when doing a decent job (and since interviewed for the Scottish Manager job)

Wilkins (after having achieved very good results)

Adams (after disappointing results but now doing a decent job at Port Vale)

We are now no further forward and contemplating another dismissal. This simply will not work and achieve for the club. We are not out of touch with many in the league and we all need to pull together. Our recent history of manager treatment is appalling.

A replacement is no guarantee of results. It takes time to build a team. Many years ago we hired the best management partnership in the country in Clough and Taylor. In the first year we narrowly avoided relegation. In the second Clough left and Taylor enearthed Ward but failed in a promotion bid and resigned. Mullery then arrived and the rest is history.

At present we are competing but at the lower end of the Division. That is really what our defence is currently worth. Once the manager improves that results will follow.

Is the right answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here