Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Blind Tiger (Hectors House) -The Petition...

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
BIA8NTMCIAE4Sw5.jpg

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
The venue have done everything they can to resolve this including attempting to rehouse the person in question.

The facts are;

Tennant moved in a year ago.
Tennant complained about the noise to the venue almost immediately.
Venue tried to make things easier for the tennant but their flat is directly above where the stage is, to the point that even with unamplified music and drums the drums would still be too loud.
The venue looked into soundproofing the entire place but this was too expensive for a struggling independent music venue
Tennant complained to the council around a month ago.
Live music ban comes into effect from today.

Just to add, they wouldn't HAVE to close, but to convert to a 'bar' layout as they have to stop having live music would cost thousands that they couldn't afford. Also, they have even offered to rehouse the tenant and then rent the flat themselves (presumably to leave it empty or house staff) but the tenant refused.

Seems crazy that they could close down and then (potentially) the tenant could hand in his notice a day after the Blind Tiger hand over the keys and move out as early as one month later.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
As someone who has grown up in Brighton with places like the Freebutt and Hector's House (now Blind Tiger) forming mainstays in both gig and pre club drinking choices throughout my teen years it is pretty devastating to see venues close down like this.

The Blind Tiger over the last few years has become a pretty important venue on the alternative music scene within Brighton and I really don't understand how person or person(s) can force music venues that have been on the scene for over a century (ies)? to close down.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii

As someone who has grown up in Brighton with places like the Freebutt and Hector's House (now Blind Tiger) forming mainstays in both gig and pre club drinking choices throughout my teen years it is pretty devastating to see venues close down like this.

The Blind Tiger over the last few years has become a pretty important venue on the alternative music scene within Brighton and I really don't understand how person or person(s) can force music venues that have been on the scene for over a century (ies)? to close down.

This and this.

Spent the odd night out in my 20's in Hector's House, it was a fun venue. What kind of a c@nt moves to a flat above a bar that plays loud music at the weekend and then has the audacity to complain about it. I shall be signing the petition.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Signed, can we know who at the Council signed this off?

They should offer the landlord a higher rent, it must be cheap because of the issues anyway and then sublet, big mistake to let it go on the open market

Apr 12, 2011
Signed. Would love to see a protest outside the venue ( or against the complainant lol) to demomstrate the level of displeasure at his actions.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Signed, can we know who at the Council signed this off?

They should offer the landlord a higher rent, it must be cheap because of the issues anyway and then sublet, big mistake to let it go on the open market

Having been through the council website, it appears that they deal with club owner and residents separately and together, through mediation if necessary. However, there's a good chance that the miserable resident stuck to his guns because, notwithstanding the daftness of complaining after moving into a place next to a live venue, he has - for the most part - the law on his side.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/con...e-events/noise-and-pollution/commercial-noise

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sit...ronmental_protection/Noise_Nuisance_Flyer.pdf

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's very bizarre the council have let this man win. A friend of mine lives next door to a pub, they knew that when they brought the place. The pub then got a late DJ license and stayed open until 3 in the morning. It took years to get that stopped.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Similar kind of issue with the Ministry of Sound: they have to fight to block residential developments being built around them as complaints from residents could close them down. Seems very odd that this can be done for pre-existing cultural enterprises....

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Had a similer case back in the day when we played at the Jazz Rooms...complainer stated he didnt realise how noisy the area would be......
wtf ?

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
While i hate to see a good old pub shut down, and have little sympathy with this guy who knew he was moving over a pub, this particular bar really does push the limits of noise to an absolute extreme.

The noise coming out of that place is an assault on anyone just walking past and way beyond anything you could expect a neighbour to put up with.

If it was a factory it would have been closed down for breaking noise limits in the workplace.

The landlord told me about a year ago that it was losing £1000 a week, so I doubt that it had much life left anyway. With the Circus street development due to start, it probably has a far greater value to the owners as a block of flats than a pub that is empty most of the time.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Signed.

Cracking venue for TGE.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
bump

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Multiple noise complaints over several years according to Council

Statement on noise complaints at Blind Tiger

The council has received numerous noise complaints from local residents about this venue for several years. Complaints have been received from residents in North Road, Grand Parade and Marlborough Place.

By law we must investigate noise complaints made to the council. We also have a legal duty to serve a noise abatement notice on those responsible when a noise nuisance is identified.

On 14 March 2014 a noise abatement notice was served on the leaseholders who operate Blind Tiger following complaints about noise from live music. The business was given two months to comply with the notice. This gave time for assessments to take place and any necessary sound insulation work to be undertaken.

Blind Tiger chose to stop operating at the venue when the abatement notice period ran out on May 14 2014. The council has not closed the venue.

The council’s environmental health team has worked with the business and the Police and council’s licensing team to try and resolve any complaints received. The council is continuing to work with all parties to try and resolve this case.

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/con...y/news/statement-noise-complaints-blind-tiger

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sounds to me from reading that above statement that they were given a list of criteria to bring the venue up to standard after a series of complaints and couldn't afford to do it. Makes more sense than the result of one complaint from one guy.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Sounds to me from reading that above statement that they were given a list of criteria to bring the venue up to standard after a series of complaints and couldn't afford to do it. Makes more sense than the result of one complaint from one guy.

This and given the run in time I'd imagine the use of the premises have already been sold on solely as a bar/pub.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Unless he still lives there could be the same fellow who moved into a flat above the Co-op in Kemptown. (Webb's stores for the oldies, Spar and various other incarnations inbetween).

A few times I passed by and he was having a massive go at them because of the noise of deliveries. There's been a shop there for a hundred years, its going to have deliveries.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think there were a number of hunters in the bush all aiming their crosshairs at the blind tiger. It just so happened that neighbour's bullet made the fatal wound. The 'for sale' signs have been outside for a number of months now and the Argus has covered their financial plight previously. It's a shame because there was a special atmosphere to that place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here