Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Big Match ITV4

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Channel hopping this morning and came across ITV4 showing a re run of the big match from feb 1983. Hosted by Dennis Law and a very young looking Elton Welsby, with Martin TYler commentating it was really intersesting to watch. They showed Man Utd ( on what was the 25th anniversary of the Munich air disaster) playing away at Ipswich, forgotten what a great side Ipswich were. A certain Alan Brazil showing delightful control and a cracking overhead kick goal from Jonny Wark, and a stationary Gary Bailey. It was really interssting to see the old grounds aswell, the top attendance for the day was Man City with 25,000. Yes we did get a mention ' managerless Brighton without a away win all season prop up the table'

I'm not sure if you can watch it on catch up did if so then I really recommend it especially to our younger posters to see that there were some really talented players before the mass foreign influx of the Sky money, and also how bloody bad some of the pitches were. Older posters will just enjoy the trip down memory lane.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was on here.
It took some explaining to Jnr (aged 7) esp as he was also reading from his new 'joke' book.

Hopefully the day will improve. :lol:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Channel hopping this morning and came across ITV4 showing a re run of the big match from feb 1983. Hosted by Dennis Law and a very young looking Elton Welsby, with Martin TYler commentating it was really intersesting to watch. They showed Man Utd ( on what was the 25th anniversary of the Munich air disaster) playing away at Ipswich, forgotten what a great side Ipswich were. A certain Alan Brazil showing delightful control and a cracking overhead kick goal from Jonny Wark, and a stationary Gary Bailey. It was really interssting to see the old grounds aswell, the top attendance for the day was Man City with 25,000. Yes we did get a mention ' managerless Brighton without a away win all season prop up the table'

I'm not sure if you can watch it on catch up did if so then I really recommend it especially to our younger posters to see that there were some really talented players before the mass foreign influx of the Sky money, and also how bloody bad some of the pitches were. Older posters will just enjoy the trip down memory lane.

was that the game ipswich won 6-0,even with gary bailey saving 2 pens!?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
was that the game ipswich won 6-0,even with gary bailey saving 2 pens!?

No it was a one all draw, looking at the highlights Ipswich had most of the ball creating more chances. I do remember that six nil game, can't remember exactualy the year.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No it was a one all draw, looking at the highlights Ipswich had most of the ball creating more chances. I do remember that six nil game, can't remember exactualy the year.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove

Bailey saved 3 pens that game. One he saved had to be re-taken, and he saved that one as well

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That game was also notable for a spectacularly dreadful backpass by none other than Steve Coppell.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I think there's an idea here for a thread of clips oof games played on slightly less than perfect pitches. If I was capable I'd contribute but I can make a couple of suggestions like Man City v West Ham (1-5) and Greaves scored form the centre circle, retutning a Corrigan kick out.

Also Leicester V Saints in the 80's (Lineker playing) and the game was abandoned after monsoon conditions.

Ah football, when men were men....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
ITV Player currently has the edition of The Big Match the OP mentioned. Just watched Wark's overhead kick. Great stuff.

Other goal was scored by future Albion centre-forward Frank Stapleton. Our talent scouts were probably in the crowd that day.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I think there's an idea here for a thread of clips oof games played on slightly less than perfect pitches. If I was capable I'd contribute but I can make a couple of suggestions like Man City v West Ham (1-5) and Greaves scored form the centre circle, retutning a Corrigan kick out.

Also Leicester V Saints in the 80's (Lineker playing) and the game was abandoned after monsoon conditions.

Ah football, when men were men....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSRVSReDaA4&feature=relmfu

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here