• Have an identified number one

Votes: 129 73.3%
  • Rotate away

Votes: 47 26.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The keeper (whoever it is) needs better protection in front, which we haven't had since selling Caicedo.

Dunk having to continually dive in with last minute tackles and interceptions doesn't count.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I would stick with Bart. IMO

Jason is too small (but not Matt Ryan small) and doesn't have a commanding presence in the goal. Plus he is getting on in age.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Nothing to do with last night, I just really rate Steele.

The dig that he’s a not a shot-stopper is plain silly.
Jason Steele is statistically the worst shot stopping keeper in the league.

He has conceded 3.4 more goals than he should have based on post shot xG, at a rate of -0.38 per 90 minutes.

Verbruggen on the other hand has conceded 1.9 more goals than he should have, at a rate of -0.21 per 90.

Bear in mind they both have the same post shot xG per shot on target so are facing a similar difficulty of shot on average.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

He has conceded 3.4 more goals than he should have based on post shot xG, at a rate of -0.38 per 90 minutes.

Verbruggen on the other hand has conceded 1.9 more goals than he should have, at a rate of -0.21 per 90.

Bear in mind they both have the same post shot xG per shot on target so are facing a similar difficulty of shot on average.
But apparently facts aren’t relevant.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

You're just making that up.

Even if you aren't, is that really statistically significant, or just chance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Based purely on that one stat/aspect, both are in the worst grouping, with Flekken, Fabianski, Ramsdale, Turner and Johnstone.

Light years behind Alisson, Kaminski, Leno, Vicario, Martinez and of all people … Onana. My point is, is PSxG the absolute determinant for RDZ and the club, eg would they replace Verbruggen/Steele with Kaminski, Onana or Leno in a heartbeat? Or is the following very relevant? Add:

Errors directly leading to PL goals - has Steele made any?
Distribution - Steele’s has been exemplary since he took over the gloves.

[For Sanchez watchers, his is an average -0.05].

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Based purely on that one stat/aspect, both are in the worst grouping, with Flekken, Fabianski, Ramsdale, Turner and Johnstone.

Light years behind Alisson, Kaminski, Leno, Vicario, Martinez and of all people … Onana. My point is, is PSxG the absolute determinant for RDZ and the club, eg would they replace Verbruggen/Steele with Kaminski, Onana or Leno in a heartbeat? Or is the following very relevant? Add:

This idea Steele has been exemplary since his introduction simply isn’t true. If it was, he wouldn’t complete less passes than our other keeper.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Can't claim to understand all this xG stuff and the statistics, but if Steele, according to the stats quoted, is the worst shot-stopper at -0.38 pr 90 minutes, and Verbruggen is better at -0.21 per 90 minutes, does that mean that Sanchez at -0.05 is better than both of them?

Apart from having the affrontery to fall out with de Zerbi, of course.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Verbruggen is the better keeper, but Steele is the better footballer. Verbruggen has dropped far more bollocks than Steele this season. Steele is my preference.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Neither are good enough for the level we are pushing for . Bart could improve and should get better though . He would be my number 1 .

Steele quality with his feet but concedes far too many shots that a lot of keepers save with ease

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If - in a parallel universe - I could pick our keeper for the Spurs game, I’d be handing the shirt to….Sanchez.

Given our current goalkeeping options, the fact that he’s no longer at the club still feels to me like an unnecessary act of self harm.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Stick with Steele for now, give him a run of games to try and stabilise at the back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If - in a parallel universe - I could pick our keeper for the Spurs game, I’d be handing the shirt to….Sanchez.

Given our current goalkeeping options, the fact that he’s no longer at the club still feels to me like an unnecessary act of self harm.
:thumbsup:

Thank f*** I'm not the only one thinking that!

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Have you watched him at all for Chelsea? From what I have seen he has been pretty poor and my Chelsea supporting friends say he is a liability.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here