Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The 'Big Apple' - did you go?

el punal

i believe my father did. When we spoke about his time in Brighton in the late 60s he certainly mentioned it. He was a bit of a scene-ster in the day, went to many gigs, and the places I remember him mentioning were The Big Apple, The Florida Rooms, Hippodrome and he hung out in the back room of The Bath Arms and a cafe called Lorelei. The was a big cafe scene back then. He also dropped me off at the Caxton one evening after a game and said that was often the starting point for their nights out.

Does anyone else remember these places?
Definitely remember the Big Apple (obviously!), Hippodrome I think had variety acts, used to drink in the Bath Arms but was not aware of the back room. Was the Florida Rooms the forerunner of Sherrys in Middle Street?
Talking of Sherrys, I believe it was attached to the Crystal Rooms(?) which fronted West Street and was the slot machine emporium. Am I right in thinking a very young Tony Bloom used to frequent that establishment? :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Definitely remember the Big Apple (obviously!), Hippodrome I think had variety acts, used to drink in the Bath Arms but was not aware of the back room. Was the Florida Rooms the forerunner of Sherrys in Middle Street?
Talking of Sherrys, I believe it was attached to the Crystal Rooms(?) which fronted West Street and was the slot machine emporium. Am I right in thinking a very young Tony Bloom used to frequent that establishment? :wink:
If I have remember correctly there was a pool table in a rear room where he used to hang out. Maybe I got this wrong. I think the Florida rooms was where the old Concorde used to be. He saw The High Numbers many times there.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It was Sherry’s from 1909!

I think you’re correct in that The Crystal Rooms were below the Sherry’s/Pink Coconut/Paradox West Street side.

There were two big arcades in West Street, TB definitely said he hung out in one or both of them.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Saw Status Quo as support act 2 or 3 times at The Big Apple. You know what they say about familiarity ! Saw the Stones on 10 March 1971, as part of the ‘Sticky fingers’ tour. Yes played ‘Time and a word’ there on the Saturday. I saw the Kinks there, and countless other bands. They really were great days, and I was privileged to be a part of it. Johnny Winter And live were probably the highlight for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here