Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Best “Super Group” ever assembled?

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Full lineup - I see Elvis Costello was in there?
Quite a line up!

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The Highwaymen: Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings.

Trio: Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt.
I think a distinction needs to be made for those "supergroups" that are formed 1) organically such as CSY (and N) against those that are formed as 2) a side project (such as the country supergroups above) or 3) those that come together as a tribute act or for charity.

Those in group 3 are generally rubbish. Usually self serving, "look at me, aren't we great" without bothering about the music. Having said that the line up and most of the music on "The Last Waltz" by The Band and guests was great.
Those in Group 2 work occasionally, such as the Highwayman and Trio above
With Group 1, a full-time supergroup rarely works over a period of time due to the egos involved.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
I don't suppose I could claim boygenius are the greatest supergroup ever assembled, but I've really enjoyed their album with its lovely harmonies (even though the lyrics strike this bitter old git as a touch earnest and callow at times.) It would probably be in my top 20 of the year if I did such things.
Anyway, they've just released this traditional song, with the wonderful Ye Vagabonds, as a tribute to Sinead O'Connor. It's good, and benefits a youth charity in Dublin.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Or after a few substitutions, this ???

Any other “super group” contenders ?

I saw Brighton's own Steve Ferrone being interviewed about that number and he said he had no idea what happened to Prince's guitar at the end, and he was sat right behind him on the drums. At the rehearsal, apparently Prince didn't actually play, heard Marc Mann do the solo in the middle and said you should do that and 'I'll just do something at the end' :lolol:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Quite a line up!

That sir is a lineup, but no more than the Big O deserved, amazed they got them all on the same stage!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Cream, surely - Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker (one of my favourite drummers of all time up there with Art Blakey and Neil Peart) - great musicians in their own right

And Clapton of course - Who uses a Wah like that these days - what a sound?!

Good point about the wah. Kirk from Metallica over uses his and the only current one I really like is Michael Schenker who uses it as a subtle tone control with it half cocked. Going back a bit I also loved Brian Robertson from his Thin Lizzy days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here