• Total voters

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Anything but ours!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
La Marseillaise has to be the best but I have a sneaky liking for Italy's - it's a jaunty little tune.

I can't think of any country apart from ours that has a dirge for a national anthem

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes, they had a different one for a while when the Union fell apart but then went back to the old one again.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Correct me I am wrong and I am sure there will will be plenty of correctors. I believe there are no words sung with the Italian anthem due to the fact that it was originally written about fascism.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
La Marseillaise is absolutely fantastic. Rousing, uncontroversial, great tune, and most importantly, inclusive.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Because its actually quite poor? And turns in to "Sine Fianna mumble mumble mumble...... amhran na bfiann Come On Ireland!" any time its sung at football matches?

Yeah sorry about that.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Why isn't the USA in there? Quality anthem I think, even if we hear it too much!

My vote would go to New Zealand, haven't been able to get it out of my head since the 2005 Lions tour.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
La Marseillaise is absolutely fantastic. Rousing, uncontroversial, great tune, and most importantly, inclusive.

:thumbsup:

The trouble with GSTQ is that is is too SHORT. We sing a verse and get ready to LAUNCH into a second verse to strike fear into the hearts of our opponents, when we realise it is over.

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
I voted Italy out of that lot. Our national anthem is a dirge in my view, and should be "Land of Hope and Glory", especially as it pisses the PC brigade off.

Ironically I used to like the old anthem of the DDR (East Germany).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I cannot believe that the Banana Republic like Italian anthem is up there with the French one in this poll. It's all you guys with no musical taste who are voting for the Italian one, isn't it? :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
RUSSIA.

It is superb. Everything a proper old-school anthem should be.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Correct me I am wrong and I am sure there will will be plenty of correctors. I believe there are no words sung with the Italian anthem due to the fact that it was originally written about fascism.

Can I be the first corrector

Here are the words:
Fratelli d'Italia,
l'Italia s'è desta,
dell'elmo di Scipio
s'è cinta la testa.
Dov'è la Vittoria?
Le porga la chioma,
che schiava di Roma
Iddio la creò.

CORO:
Stringiamci a coorte,
siam pronti alla morte.
Siam pronti alla morte,
l'Italia chiamò.
Stringiamci a coorte,
siam pronti alla morte.
Siam pronti alla morte,
l'Italia chiamò!

And not only was it written about 80 years before the rise of fascism but it wasn't the anthem under Mussolini. The fascist anthem was called Giovinezza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here