The bedroom tax more unpopular than the poll tax?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Buy less fags and booze and do without sky tv and foreign holidays and you might afford a house that's appropriate. Being just given a house too big for you is not fair. If single people are being given 2 bed houses I'd like the government to pay to upgrade my 1 bed I can afford to a 3 bed place free of charge please! Room for my computer and a room for the cat........ sorted :thumbsup:

Oh and if the government are also going to give me a load of money for doing nothing, I'll happilly give £16 of it back to them

Wow. What's it like up Paul Dacre's arsehole? Pleasant?

It's a real joy being disabled, I suggest everyone try it. Being treated like a 2nd class citizen is such a pleasure too, being told by a company that they won't employ you because you're disabled is great and still perfectly legal and encouraged by our leaders. Welcome to conservative britain, a country with 19th century values being run by people not fit enough to tie their own laces.

How many of you have ever been turned down for a job because you cannot stand on one leg?

Titus

Come on!
Feb 21, 2010
Up here on the left.
It's a real joy being disabled, I suggest everyone try it. Being treated like a 2nd class citizen is such a pleasure too, being told by a company that they won't employ you because you're disabled is great and still perfectly legal and encouraged by our leaders. Welcome to conservative britain, a country with 19th century values being run by people not fit enough to tie their own laces.

What does that have to do with bedrooms?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The bedroom tax more unpopular than the poll tax ?

no, because firstly theres no such thing and secondly the proposed cuts to housing benefits dont effect many. what we have here is classic partisan politics, starting by calling a sensible reform a "tax" then ignoring the context, complexities and exemptions, while highlighting evey hard done case (even if turns out they owuld be exempt), and creating a hostile debate calling for it to be removed rather than refined where problems are genuinly found.

anyone arguing against it completely ignores the principle winners will be other people in need of access to social housing and secondary effect for tax payer.

What does that have to do with bedrooms?

Very simple, many disabled people are being hit by this tax because they need carers who don't technically live with them but require a room overnight or need room to store equipment.

Trust me, this whole thing is a mess. I know someone who wants a smaller place as her kids have moved out but is stuck on the waiting list.

Last edited:

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Very simple, many disabled people are being hit by this tax because they need carers who don't technically live with them but require a room overnight or need room to store equipment.

Trust me, this whole thing is a mess. I know someone who wants a smaller place as her kids have moved out but is stuck on the waiting list.

Even those who can not sleep in the same room as there partners due to there illness/disabilities are not exempt neither.

Camicus

you sir are one idiot

It does not just affect the poor
slap_zps7f12c480.gif

And you sir have no concept of irony.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It doesnt affect me as we are both pensioners but in a hypothetical case if man and wife are not living as a married couple and no longer sleeping together but having to live in the same house through not being able to afford for either of them to move how would they stand as regards this bedroom tax as they would need 2 bedrooms.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
And one guess which Eastern European countries claimants will populate these properties once our poor one and two child families move out.

It doesnt affect me as we are both pensioners but in a hypothetical case if man and wife are not living as a married couple and no longer sleeping together but having to live in the same house through not being able to afford for either of them to move how would they stand as regards this bedroom tax as they would need 2 bedrooms.

Going by the 1985 law, it looks like it's dependant on the size of the bedrooms in question. However, I could well be wrong.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

So this bit in OP's original post not true?:

"Severely disabled tenants allowed one extra room for overnight carer
Disabled people have been allocated £25 million of discretionary payments to help them remain in adapted homes."

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton

Disabled people have been allocated £25 million of discretionary payments to help them remain in adapted homes."

Yes but does not cover all disabled people

Unfortunately it can be true and yet false at the same time. The key word there is "discretionary payment", meaning some will be charged, others will not. It'll probably depend on the local authority. Also, the term severely disabled is also worrying. The criteria for that can be misleading, i.e. is it for those who receive the higher rate of mobility or care only excluding those who need carers for because they suffer from a form of sleep apnea (not sure of the correct term)? There still appears to be no allowance for those who have to use their "spare" bedroom for equipment needs.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
No, presumably only those who require an overnight carer rather than the entire Blue Badge brigade?!

Someone who needs overnight care from someone who does not live with them is entitled to
Housing Benefit to pay for the extra room. The person providing care could be a care worker or an
unpaid carer.
However, you cannot be allowed an extra bedroom on the basis of disability if you are an adult - for
instance where one of a couple has a disability and the couple cannot sleep in the same room.
This means that someone providing care to their partner will not be entitled to Housing Benefit for
an extra bedroom but someone who has engaged a care worker to provide overnight care will be
able to have another bedroom for them.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Unfortunately it can be true and yet false at the same time. The key word there is "discretionary payment", meaning some will be charged, others will not. It'll probably depend on the local authority. Also, the term severely disabled is also worrying. The criteria for that can be misleading, i.e. is it for those who receive the higher rate of mobility or care only excluding those who need carers for because they suffer from a form of sleep apnea (not sure of the correct term)? There still appears to be no allowance for those who have to use their "spare" bedroom for equipment needs.

I need to bow out here as was only picking up what OP put in his first post. For what its worth, you sound like a genuine sort who is worried that what is fair will not continue. Assuming so, I hope its sorted for you. However, there remain many, many who abuse any such system and the good guys/girls, like you, get punished as a result. The way of the world these days I'm afraid.

I need to bow out here as was only picking up what OP put in his first post. For what its worth, you sound like a genuine sort who is worried that what is fair will not continue. Assuming so, I hope its sorted for you. However, there remain many, many who abuse any such system and the good guys/girls, like you, get punished as a result. The way of the world these days I'm afraid.

Thank you chimneys, your words mean a lot. Unfortunately, my household is being hit all ways at the moment. It's not just this government that's doing it but the previous one as well. For instance, I had a dream job when I was kid and there's currently vacancies for this job at this very minute. I have previously applied for the job and was successful in my application. I was tested and the company were happy to take me on. Unfortunately, the government have stuck their jackboot in and decreed that because I am disabled I am unfit to do the job...it doesn't matter that I have proved otherwise, that's it, decision final. It is utterly soul destroying to know that a company wants to employ me but I'm simply not allowed to work for them for the crime of being born disabled.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Thank you chimneys, your words mean a lot. Unfortunately, my household is being hit all ways at the moment. It's not just this government that's doing it but the previous one as well. For instance, I had a dream job when I was kid and there's currently vacancies for this job at this very minute. I have previously applied for the job and was successful in my application. I was tested and the company were happy to take me on. Unfortunately, the government have stuck their jackboot in and decreed that because I am disabled I am unfit to do the job...it doesn't matter that I have proved otherwise, that's it, decision final. It is utterly soul destroying to know that a company wants to employ me but I'm simply not allowed to work for them for the crime of being born disabled.

That's disgusting! Have you tried getting your MP involved or perhaps one of the disabled charities who can be vociferous lobbyists?

It sounds like the Government is in breach of the Disability Discrimation Act! You really couldnt make it up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports