Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The bedroom tax more unpopular than the poll tax?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Anyway I think it's a great idea. It's the easiest and cheapest way to free up homes. It mainly affects benefit claimers anyway and beggars can't be choosers.

Hope that remark was some kind of joke ..

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
The whole system needs looking at. While some are being forced to squash 2 teenagers in one room, i know of an elderly couple who, despite owning several big houses themselves, have numerous state owned properties as well. They must have about 3000 spare rooms yet i bet the money they get from the state each year will not be reduced for over housing.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Anyway I think it's a great idea. It's the easiest and cheapest way to free up homes. It mainly affects benefit claimers anyway and beggars can't be choosers.

Hope that remark was some kind of joke ..

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
two more years then this shower of shite will be gone or promising things will be different ...........mind you the other showers of shite will do nothing other than leave things as they are
this country is slowly going the hell in a handcart

That's disgusting! Have you tried getting your MP involved or perhaps one of the disabled charities who can be vociferous lobbyists?

It sounds like the Government is in breach of the Disability Discrimation Act! You really couldnt make it up!

The problem is because it's on a "health" reason, there's very little I can do. The Disability Discrimination Act is nice on paper but there's so many loopholes in it, it's just not worth the effort.

Getting back on track with the OP's thread. I was reading in the independent that 2\3rds of those affected by the bedroom tax are disabled. Couple to this to the Disability Living Allowance debacle that's going on and you'll see the truth.

David Cameron and his cronies have declared war on the disabled.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
two more years then this shower of shite will be gone or promising things will be different ...........mind you the other showers of shite will do nothing other than leave things as they are

slowly?!!!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Bring back Blair, Brown, Balls and Moribund.

We desperately need another credit fuelled boom, followed by decades of resulting payback.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Did you miss this?

The poll tax, was a system of taxation introduced in replacement of the rates to part fund local government in Scotland from 1989, and England and Wales from 1990. It provided for a single flat-rate per-capita tax on every adult, at a rate set by the local authority. The tax was replaced by Council Tax in 1993.[

:)

But it didn't taken long for Council Tax to rise to the same levels as Poll Tax.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally I didn't see a problem with the principle of a tax paid by all adults in a household irrespective of the size of the house (and therefore rateable value as it was). It was all about paying for local services so, for example, four adults in household will generate more refuse than two but the Council Tax means the two are subsidising the four! The tories, as ever balls it up. The lib dems were always suggesting a local income tax which has some merits.

As for the 'bedroom tax' (or penalty or whatever you want to call it), I have no objection to the principle of housing people in appropriate sized homes however, this should allow one spare bedroom without penalty. This would allow for carers to stay when necessary, visits from family a long way from home, a returning child or when divorced couples are required to share the parenting. It wasn't that long ago the Tories were bleating on about measuring happiness. None of the above are likely to be more happy when those they need to see can't stay with them for one night.

Having said that, you have to thank god that some of the right leaning morons that post on here and believe every person that receives a benefit is on some sort of fiddle don't actually run the country!!!!

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
It should be pointed out that those tenants who rent from a private landlord have had a 'bedroom tax' for years & years. This latest round of welfare cuts is 'simply' bringing social landlord tenants in line with everyone else.

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
Read recently that some Tories want to bring back the Workhouse. That'll help to free up some social housing as the Workhouse will house 'problem' families, and Poles, and help them do something productive like making toys for export to China

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Personally I didn't see a problem with the principle of a tax paid by all adults in a household irrespective of the size of the house (and therefore rateable value as it was).

Seemed quite fair to me as well, the theory being that everyone pays the same for local services irrespective of income (and size of house) but was open to the criticism that the Tories were helping out their mates with big houses. There were also a few imprisoned who genuinely couldn't afford to pay it.

But I came from a little village where people did have sizeable houses and gardens but often not quite an income to match. Why should they be clobbered, not their fault their house had increased in value massively since they spent a few thousand on it.

Wasn't till I moved up to London and then the North, where I saw that perhaps things aren't quite as rosy as rural Sussex.

I recall them charging students, me being one. The whole system was a farce as they struggled to track them down. I'm sure that was one of the major mistakes as there were a damn lot of students protesting in central London.

Last edited:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I believe, although am not certain, that it applies to families who have a family member who still lives at home (son or daughter I would assume) but serves in the armed forces and therefore will potentially be away for long periods. I'm not sure how many this will effect though and how often a member of the armed forces would be in their own home rather than living on a base or whatever.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

Well it has changed many times over last 15-20 years but in its current form there is a maximum benefit rate for each property size. Housing Benefit is then limited to the rate for the size of property you need not what you have, so a couple renting a 2 bed house will have their benefit limited to the 1 bed rate & have to make the difference up. The amount for each property size is now the average rent in the area of the lowest 30% rents, so not only is it restricted to size but now limited to cheapest rents around.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here