Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Beatles

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I'm guessing this is aimed at me. Not a great fan of any classical sculpture. I appreciate the craft and the way it moves other people, but the visual just doesn't move me like the musical does. Call me a peasant, but I prefer my 'David' with added 'Watts'.
Oh I've heard that argument enough times to aim it at the world in general, and not only in relation to the Beatles.
I'm interested in the conversation about art and creativity in general, there's no point in anybody arguing with somebody who doesn't like something and telling them they're WRONG, any more than there's any point in those people worrying about other people who do enjoy it.
You do you Stato :thumbsup:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Of course the Beatles transcend personal taste, I don’t like the music of Mozart or Beethoven, and wouldn’t sit down and listen to it, but would never argue that they weren’t influential and great as that would be a ridiculous position to take. It’s the same principle with the Beatles, you might not like their music, but you can’t ignore their success, cultural and musical impact and the fact that in 100 years time people will still be talking about them and listening to their music!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Of course the Beatles transcend personal taste, I don’t like the music of Mozart or Beethoven, and wouldn’t sit down and listen to it, but would never argue that they weren’t influential and great as that would be a ridiculous position to take. It’s the same principle with the Beatles, you might not like their music, but you can’t ignore their success, cultural and musical impact and the fact that in 100 years time people will still be talking about them and listening to their music!
That is not transcending personal taste. Nobody is questioning their significance, success or impact. The statement in the article was given in the context that a musicologist friend of hers likes them and some school kids like them. That's transcending demographics, but given that you could also find musicologists and schoolkids who don't like them, it's not transcending personal taste.

If the author was trying to say that the Beatles are liked by a lot of people who like different types of music, then although true, she hasn't made a point of any worth either. Musicologists have accepted popular msuic in all its forms for some time now and Tik tok is rammed with old songs that the new generations are taking and using as their own. Neither phenomena are at all unique to the Beatles. The facts are just being used to underwrite the real point of the article: The author, like a lot of other people, likes the Beatles. Well duh!

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
That is not transcending personal taste. Nobody is questioning their significance, success or impact. The statement in the article was given in the context that a musicologist friend of hers likes them and some school kids like them. That's transcending demographics, but given that you could also find musicologists and schoolkids who don't like them, it's not transcending personal taste.

If the author was trying to say that the Beatles are liked by a lot of people who like different types of music, then although true, she hasn't made a point of any worth either. Musicologists have accepted popular msuic in all its forms for some time now and Tik tok is rammed with old songs that the new generations are taking and using as their own. Neither phenomena are at all unique to the Beatles. The facts are just being used to underwrite the real point of the article: The author, like a lot of other people, likes the Beatles. Well duh!
You are taking a binary view of personal taste 'either you like the Beatles or you don't', whereas in reality personal taste in music is much more complex, fluid and subjective. It's not shaped only by sound but by experiences, emotions and external influences all of which evolves and expands over time. I don't like everything the Beatles ever did, I prefer some songs and some albums, I prefer the writing of certain members of the band over others all of which has changed over time. There was even a time in my life when I didn't really listen to them at all, however overall its impossible to deny that they have a widespread appeal across the world and across generations that is a phenomena that is very unique to them, and that goes much deeper than a few old songs being played on Tick Tok.

Last edited:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
You are taking a binary view of personal taste 'either you like the Beatles or you don't',
Nope. Didn't say that. I said that they can't transcend personal taste. Nothing can, @Sid and the Sharknados said it better than me:

there's no point in anybody arguing with somebody who doesn't like something and telling them they're WRONG,
It doesn't matter if taste is binary or complex, nor what formed it. The point is that it's subjective and can't be transcended because it's entirely personal. My complaint, as ever, is not that lots of people really like the Beatles, but that writers often write stupid things because they like them.

its impossible to deny that they have a widespread appeal across the world and across generations
Agreed.

that is a phenomena that is very unique to them,

.... :facepalm:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It doesn't matter if taste is binary or complex, nor what formed it. The point is that it's subjective and can't be transcended because it's entirely personal. My complaint, as ever, is not that lots of people really like the Beatles, but that writers often write stupid things because they like them.
To be frank, I tend to file people who write about music for a living somewhere between earthworms and washing machines.
Above washing machines, below earthworms, in case you're interested. At least earthworms know when they're talking shit. And my washing machine can't hold a rhythm for a whole cycle to save it's life.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The greatest of all time, and it isn't even close.

I struggle to think of another band with anything like the same depth, variety, innovation, quality etc.
I'd like to think Queen run them close. Depth, variety, innovation, quality etc. I can't think of another band with four song writers who wrote number one hits for their band and their music across the albums was incredibly varied. But I'm only answering your second sentence.

Queen could never match the impact the Beatles had and no band ever will again. Nor will people who didn't live through those years ever grasp the enormity of it all.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
When people use to ask me if I liked the Beatles, I used to say ‘I don't like or dislike them, they just ‘are’.

And speaking as a fine artist - I would argue that the emotional response to all art is subjective. Which makes it all ‘quite useless’ of course 🙂

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree with respect to reach but I can't equate reach with value. In any case the only music I care about is the music I care about. And when I post on the track of the day thread, it is to celebrate it, with the hope that some people may find some new things interesting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the 1960s enormous strides were made in the field of communications. From watching grainy TV on black and white screens, and transcontinental messages using morse code or telephone lines, we moved to a point where we could actually broadcast TV worldwide, live. The whole world - potentially, at least, where there was TV and TV reception. So, they had to think - what would be the most appropriate thing to show on this once in a lifetime historical international live TV performance?

Yes, you've got it: The Beatles. They could have used The Queen, the POTUS, the pope, any number of Hollywood megastars, but no - the only real answer was The Beatles - they were bigger. That says it all.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I agree with respect to reach but I can't equate reach with value. In any case the only music I care about is the music I care about. And when I post on the track of the day thread, it is to celebrate it, with the hope that some people may find some new things interesting.
Or reach new levels of weird 😍

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Brent Partridge

Aug 28, 2023
I'd have to say my favourite album is the Best of the Beatles.

May also add that

Wings were only the band the Beatles could have been.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here