• The Blue Album

Votes: 34 63.0%
  • Who are the Beatles?

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
For me Let it Be is an album that shouts a band in disarray and out of ideas.

i agree, john lennon himself described it as the "________ load of badly-recorded _____ with a lousy feeling to it ever"

The remade version of it "Let it be... Naked" strips it of all the added things and it sounds even worse.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Funny how we all see things differently, I quite like the Beatles but I think Let it Be is an overrated pile of shite, with the piece de resistance being the 2nd biggest dirge of all time Let it Be ( the biggest dirge ever is another McCartney offering Mull of Kintrye)

For me Let it Be is an album that shouts a band in disarray and out of ideas.

My personal favourite is Revolver

I can't decide between the Red and the Blue, both are good albums with great songs and forgettable ones but they are the soundtrack of a great band.

Revolver is a masterpiece showing a band in transition, just about to explode into a creativity tinged with various amounts of twaddle. To me Revlover is twaddleless and and the engery of a band invigorated by a surge in creativity and a move away from their pop roots.

See also Rubber Soul for the birth of this phenomena.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In this order:

Abbey Road (especially the second side, which is about as good as it gets)
The White Album
Revolver
Rubber Soul and Sgt Peppers

On this basis, the blue beats the red.

The twaddle on the A sides lets it down as an album though

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Thhe Beatles are a bit hot and cold for me, I think Elanor Rigby is just about perfect, one of my favourite ever songs, and then there is stuff like Yellow Submarine, Octopuses Garden, Maxwell's hammer,ect, which I know were more or less written as jokes, but then theres Lady Madonna which i really can't stand, and I'm a bit to young to appreciate the pre 1966 stuff

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me they were at their best c 1965-66 with Revolver and Rubber Soul.

I don't think they were overrated at all, their material still sounds good. Losing John Lennon at 40 was so sad, he is sorely missed.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'd prefer a mix of the two - the Purple Album, if you will. Would definitely have been Blue when I was in my teens and early twenties but there would be more Red in there now.

Southcoast Corsair

Sep 12, 2012
lost at sea
Beatles are the "Emperors New Clothes" of music. Actually they are a bit crap and boring but nobody dare say so.

NEPTUNES BEARD! Consider. The illusion of the Beetles being 'crap and boring' might in some way be directly linked to the fact that vast numbers of artists have since been influenced by or styled themselves on or copied what they did. And it'll be the Red for me. And lets not forget magical mystery tour. plus 'Hey bulldog'. Pop Genius.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I voted "Red". The first album (vinyl that is) has some of the most sublime pop songs of all time.

It would have been great if they had stayed together to release an album with the best tracks from the solo albums and singles of 1970 and 1971. It would have contained the following

Maybe I'm Amazed, Every Night and Another Day by McCartney
Working Class Hero, Mother and I Found Out (and maybe Power To The People) by Lennon
My Sweet Lord, Wah Wah, What Is Life and Waiting On You All by Harrison
It Don't Come Easy - Harrison for Starr

Now that would have been some album.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I once had a massive row with a guy who said that the Pet Shop Boys were better than the Beatles. The guy was adamant that PSB would go on to sell more records and be more influential.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If you do not like The Beatles you do not understand popular music

I really don't like The Beatles though, so where is the box ? If that means I don't understand popular music then so be it. I stay away from all those threads arguing are The Beatles the greatest band ever, as clearly I have an inbuilt bias.

I could probably sing along to hundreds of Beatles songs, they are so ubiquitous, but choose not to. For me the whole Beatles catalogue straddles the spectrum from, quite good, but I wouldn't choose to listen to this, through cringe-worthy and then finally All You Need Is Love, which for some reason makes me feel like I want to go out and punch someone in the face.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here