[Music] The Beatles vs The Stones 1969 albums

Which is the best album

• Total voters

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
As with all Beatles v Stones questions, the answer is The Kinks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3D76jm2vKs&list=PLC99488D21ADC54CF

I'd also take Trout Mask Replica, Dusty In Memphis, Green River, Leige & Lief & Unhalfbricking, Nashville Skyline, Cloud Nine, JC at San Quentin, The Band, Led Zep II, The Velvet Underground, In A Silent Way, Keynsham and Tommy ahead of both of them.
The question couldn't have been any simpler (Beatles album vs Stones album).

Well done for naming alternative albums that were also good in 1969, just not relevant to this thread

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
The Long One alone is better than anything The Stones have produced.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The question couldn't have been any simpler (Beatles album vs Stones album).

Well done for naming alternative albums that were also good in 1969, just not relevant to this thread

The question was based on a common misapprehension that the Stones and, in particular,the Beatles have far more artistic worth than they really do. The question is the equivalent of 'Which is the best eighties drama, Eastenders or Coronation Street?' My answer was saying 'Remember 'The Singing Detective?'

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
The question was based on a common misapprehension that the Stones and, in particular,the Beatles have far more artistic worth than they really do. The question is the equivalent of 'Which is the best eighties drama, Eastenders or Coronation Street?' My answer was saying 'Remember 'The Singing Detective?'

There is no point in answering to this response.... but I will (which is what you did funnily enough)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Would always favour The Stones over anything The Beatles did but that’s me. They are though 2 amazing albums.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
For me I like just about all the Beatles tracks but the Stones just had some tracks that were outstanding.

I totally agree - the Stones’ tracks need listening to whilst the Beatles’ tracks somehow just hit the spot straight away.

I was talking more about the culture of the sixties - maybe it was just the circle of friends I had at the time but everyone I knew fell into one of two camps, Beatles or Stones.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I know music is subjective, but in my very humble opinion...I think both these bands are very overrated.
Bowie was knocking out tracks far superior to anything these 2 did at that time.
The album simply named David Bowie, tracks like Cygnet committee, unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed... utter genius.
That ain’t even mentioning Zeppelin or Tull.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
That second side of Abbey road is just perfection, but some of the tracks on Let it Bleed make this a too close to call. Abbey Road is the perfect swansong ( yes i know let it be was released later but Abbey road was the last to be recorded). Let it Bleed is the defintive 60's stones album (Beggars Banquet might argue though)

Agree with that.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I totally agree - the Stones’ tracks need listening to whilst the Beatles’ tracks somehow just hit the spot straight away.

I was talking more about the culture of the sixties - maybe it was just the circle of friends I had at the time but everyone I knew fell into one of two camps, Beatles or Stones.

Whilst I have all the Beatles albums and subsequent reissues etc, I have grown more fond of the Stones as I have got older. I bought a Multi CD called the London Years that has a lot of their really old stuff on. It is quite brilliant.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Whilst I have all the Beatles albums and subsequent reissues etc, I have grown more fond of the Stones as I have got older. I bought a Multi CD called the London Years that has a lot of their really old stuff on. It is quite brilliant.

I have that album, totally forgotten about it until you mentioned it, going to dig it out :thumbsup:

It’s called the Singles collection, the London years, 3cd collection just found it on my ipod as I copied it onto there a few years ago. You are right, there is some great and obscure stuff on it

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I was 16 in 1969, and from when they both started I always was a Stones fan first and foremost, and have always veered towards blues/rhythm and Blues. I have the London Years CDs too, and they are brilliant. The first album I ever owned was the first Rolling Stones album.

I did not go for the Beatles earlier stuff, but Sgt Pepper onwards was great, including Abbey Road. The two albums for me are very different, so I voted a draw. I still have both on vinyl.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It is a pity the song whose lyrics I pinched for my reply came out a year too early, or I would have posted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVr2hbE6aW0

Oi Harry, don't upset the post police! Beatles and Stones only please. Don't go posting any old songs from the late sixties just because they are more worthy of attention. Nothing like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-g2RCdk8nI

I listened to your Van Der Graaf Generator by the way. Thanks. Interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here