The BBC is making a real meal of Mandela's death. No surprise there then.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
A book 'claims' ??

He may well have used the communist party of South Africa, but I dont believe he was a communist. By any stretch.
Wouldnt blame him though, as Reagan at the time, called him a communist, and a terrorist, as did our own beloved
woman prime minister...
At least the communists supported the ANC against a ridiculous regime.

If that's your belief then you are entitled to it.............in factual terms there is compelling evidence to prove he was in the Communist Party.

His motives are not entirely in that respect are not clear, I grant you that, however he would regularly refer to Fidrel Castro as "comrade" and as a statesman he was evidently sympathetic to communist states.

Frankly I don't see that as an issue, its not unusual for groups that use extreme violence to be associated with extreme politics, extreme religion or extreme views..............that's the game.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Frankly I don't see that as an issue, its not unusual for groups that use extreme violence to be associated with extreme politics, extreme religion or extreme views..............that's the game.

Don't all governments believe in extreme voilence? You can't get more extreme than killing people

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
And, according to Tony Blair, the first thing he always asked him, was 'How is the queen'...but I dont think he was a royalist particularly.
I would imagine he saw Castro as another Freedom Fighter, and as somebody who had been through the same struggle.
The communist party of SA, and other Communist states DID step up to provide support, when, I think it was lacking elsewhere.

viva Joe Slovo :)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If that's your belief then you are entitled to it.............in factual terms there is compelling evidence to prove he was in the Communist Party.

His motives are not entirely in that respect are not clear, I grant you that, however he would regularly refer to Fidrel Castro as "comrade" and as a statesman he was evidently sympathetic to communist states.

Yep just look at New Labour and Blair.

Jan 30, 2008
And, according to Tony Blair, the first thing he always asked him, was 'How is the queen'...but I dont think he was a royalist particularly.
I would imagine he saw Castro as another Freedom Fighter, and as somebody who had been through the same struggle.
The communist part of SA, and others stepped up to provide support, when, I think it was lacking elsewhere.

viva Joe Slovo :)
mmmmm, associated with bombings and killings, right up your street of support dave ???
regards
DR

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I wonder if on the day of JFK's assassination, there were complaints that the BBC did not devote enough air time to news of the deaths of Aldous Huxley and C.S. Lewis on the same day.

Regardless of Nelson Mandela's death, it would be naïve to expect the reporting of it not to dominate broadcasts considering the impact and reach of the man and his achievements.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
mmmmm, associated with bombings and killings, right up your street of support dave ???
regards
DR

The point about Mandela is that he could have pushed SA into a civil war. He chose the difficult option of reconciliation rather. What he did before that is not particularly relevant to his greatness as a statesman. When push came to shove, he chose the peaceful path. There have been many difficulties since then, and there will continue to be problems, but they are nothing compared to what might have been.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
you could say the same about the IRA to some extent in what they achieved ,obviously not in the same vein as Mandela
regards
DR
You couldn't really. In the 1960s, Irish Catholics were undoubtedly repressed, but to nothing like the same extent as the RSA blacks. After the early 1970s, the PIRA were simply playing their part in a tit-for-tat escalating street war, and seemed to have forgotten their raison d'etre.

The wider question that Mandela's life posed was whether violence against innocent civilians could ever be justified...

Jan 30, 2008
The point about Mandela is that he could have pushed SA into a civil war. He chose the difficult option of reconciliation rather. What he did before that is not particularly relevant to his greatness as a statesman. When push came to shove, he chose the peaceful path. There have been many difficulties since then, and there will continue to be problems, but they are nothing compared to what might have been.
it has to be relevant otherwise he wouldn't have been in the position he was in after release from prison surely ,that's the point i'm making
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
You couldn't really. In the 1960s, Irish Catholics were undoubtedly repressed, but to nothing like the same extent as the RSA blacks. After the early 1970s, the PIRA were simply playing their part in a tit-for-tat escalating street war, and seemed to have forgotten their raison d'etre.

The wider question that Mandela's life posed was whether violence against innocent civilians could ever be justified...
then you had Rhodesia and Mr smith ???
regards
DR

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
it has to be relevant otherwise he wouldn't have been in the position he was in after release from prison surely ,that's the point i'm making
regards
DR

He was the leader of the ANC, whether he was in prison or not, whether he was involved in violence or not.

What I am saying is that he had the perfect opportunity to start a major civil war directly after the assassination of Chris Hani, but he chose not to go down that route. Violence was not what he wanted - he had to resort to violence in the 60's and 70's because his political voice had been cut off. He had no other option at that time.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Will any of NSC's closet racists have the guts to voice their opinions during Saturdays (presumed) minute of silence?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nothing is worse than seeing your facebook being flooded with Mandela quotes by idiots who'd have no clue what he did, why he's special or anything. These major events turn into a bandwagon which will soon be forgotten about by next week.

Great man, there's no denial what he managed to achieve; but it'll be trending for the next week, then it'll be like "who is that?".

Just like nobody these days has the faintest idea who Mahatma Gandhi is. Nelson Mandela's fame - if that is the right word - will certainly outstrip that of most if not all of his world-leader contemporaries.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Just like nobody these days has the faintest idea who Mahatma Gandhi is. Nelson Mandela's fame - if that is the right word - will certainly outstrip that of most if not all of his world-leader contemporaries.

It's the old Che Guevara principle. Plenty of people wear T-shirts adorning his image, how many actually know who he was? And more to the point, does it really matter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports