Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Bagpipes are kicking-off again.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
This. They are just going to keep having referendums until they get the answer they want. If they are that keen let em go. Our pretensions as a world power are just that. So lets make a new start as England, let the rest of them fend for themselves...

We still have to look after the Welsh and Northern Irish, almost totally wiped from the Indy ref debate without a mention, telling you all you need to know about the real motivations, that it's resentment of England. The fact the other constituent parts of the UK were not even in the debate sickened me.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Between the 1970s and 2014 referendums Scotland due mainly to Oil Revenues have has a similar level of revenue income to Norway. They have a similar sized population to Norway. In the intervening years between the 1970s and the last referendum, Norway has moved to become the 5th richest nation in the world to do equivalent oil revenues.

I therefore wouldn't therefore want them to leave the UK unnecessarily - I am not surprised that Jimmy Krankie Sturgeon is still banging her Devolution Drum

but, does the north sea oil / gas field ALL belong to Scotland ? - it is based in Aberdeen due to shortist distance

there is an argument, that if the land boarder was extended into the sea (roughly at 45 deg) 50% of the fields would be English/ Yorkish

am i right in thinking that the sweaties draw a horizontal line - there would be a case for international determination of the "ownership" ? which is currently not required for a UK ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They would also have to pledge to join the Euro - so all their oil wealth would be snatched from them and given to Greece.
It's not their oil, it's ours.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
but, does the north sea oil / gas field ALL belong to Scotland ? - it is based in Aberdeen due to shortist distance

there is an argument, that if the land boarder was extended into the sea (roughly at 45 deg) 50% of the fields would be English/ Yorkish

am i right in thinking that the sweaties draw a horizontal line - there would be a case for international determination of the "ownership" ? which is currently not required for a UK ?

Didn't you know? All the best Scottish oil reserves are buried underground so that post-independence, post-foreign-owner-land-reclaim, there's no way that England or anybody else can draw a random convenient line to grab those reserves, short of an immoral and illegal invasion a la Iraq.
Better get used to it. Mcdonalds Mcsheiks OWN your former oil supplies :moo:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Keep voting until you get the outcome you want - how democratic.

Initially, it appeared the Scottish referendum was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" to shape the future of Scotland. Now Sturgeon is saying she's still to decide whether to have a second referendum as part of the SNP 2016 Holyrood manifesto. The ink is hardly dry on the agreement re the transfer of powers from Westminster to Holyrood and still the SNP crave more power.
Exactly, it's a complete joke. I can't see a PM giving them another referendum for a good many years though, so I wouldn't worry.

but, does the north sea oil / gas field ALL belong to Scotland ?
No. Scotland doesn't even belong to Scotland, it belongs to the UK. If Scotland decided that people from England couldn't travel or live in Scotland, it would mean nothing, because it's not their decision to make, it's not their land. Just like Brighton doesn't belong to Brighton, and England doesn't belong to England. It belongs to the UK.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I am not sure but i think international water are already pre-determined. Otherwise more would have been made of that potential issue. The problem the Scots would have would be trying to police those waters. Not only for the oil industry but in the wars against immigration and drugs.

These are all reasons why England really dont want Scotland to leave the Union. The Scottish parliament just don't have the will power or manpower to put into controlling what is a very large coastal shore line.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am not sure but i think international water are already pre-determined. Otherwise more would have been made of that potential issue.

wardy wonder land was about spot on, it is a fairly significant issue with no immediate answer, since currently there is no international border defined. the issue wasnt given much attention by the No campaign because they werent getting into such details, but the Yes campaign definatly expected a 90deg line from the border, and international experts where suggesting a line follwing the existing border would be most likely outcome of arbitration.

as hinted earlier, due to the oil proce change their entire economic case would be in tatters compared to last autumn, and it didnt add up then. to get revenue out of the North Sea at this stage you need to invest alot, money they dont have up front. and without the £ (because they wouldnt have that formally) they wouldnt be able to raise the sorts of cash needed, at least not on top of all the other services they'd need to fund. lucky for their population, the majority saw sence.

and something to note, SNP got 50% of the electorate, there wasnt a sea change in support for them that the number of MPs suggests.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
would love to see their budget plans with oil at $ 53 a barrel.

What about without the bartlett formula? They really do think they are going to become like Norway, completely deluded...

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'm concerned about the effect it would have on the British armed forces. Where would the subs live? Could Plymouth or Portsmouth house the new Astute class of submarines? Would Scottish personnel be allowed to leave? Would that not leave us desperately low in the short term? Would it not harm both our military capabilities?

Best invade and call it Greater England.That'll save a lot of arguments.

This idea is quite appealing, though I'm not sure where we could put the present incumbents. ....Greenland perhaps ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here