Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] The Award-winning official "No Rain Tomorrow" thread (2023 season)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Another absolutely perfect day in sunny West Sussex (I assume it's pi$$ing down in Hassocks).
The current forecast has this glorious weather for the entire month.

Were the 6 months of dreich worth it for these 6 months of perpetual sunshine? (and 3 months of water supply)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is still cold on the north Kent coast. Sunny, but....not got above 14 here yet apart from one day in March. Most peculiar.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
This glorious sunshine - forecast to last another couple of weeks at least - is being spoilt somewhat by a persistently strong chilly north-east breeze.

The anticyclone bring this fine spell - and blocking the usual rain-bearing low pressure systems - is lodged north-west of Scotland, and feeding in this annoying chilly wind off the North Sea (winds travelling clockwise around anti-cyclones).

If only it would shift a little further east, so that the wind came overland from the warmer continent.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It is still cold on the north Kent coast. Sunny, but....not got above 14 here yet apart from one day in March. Most peculiar.
😮

You've been unlucky with the wind direction and speed - been stuck like this for a while now and for a little while yet!
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-1.66,51.23,1877

Because of the gentle winds in the west (north west and western Scotland particularly) they've had the warmest weather! Been sunny on the south coast for ages - lovely and warm when out of the wind, but chilly at times in the wind

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's quite warm in the west.

Very dry though No rain for weeks and garden beginning to suffer. 🏜🏜🏜

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Could have done with some rain to dampen the pollen at times over the last few weeks 🤧

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Could have done with some rain to dampen the pollen at times over the last few weeks 🤧
Yeah, Mrs Peteinblack has been suffering too

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This current blocked pattern if it persists could bring us into drought conditions pretty quickly down here, we have to be very grateful for the wet early spring for topping up the water table or things would be bad already. The sun is strong, the breeze is very drying too and the air is very dry. All contributing to drawing moisture out of plants and the ground.

Possibly related, but there have been persistent reports of an almost total absence of insects across Southen and Eastern England. I'm hoping this situation is only temporary, otherwise it's a very bad sign for our overall ecosystem.

We walked the dog round the fields West of Cissbury this morning and I saw 1 butterfly and not much else. Really odd.

The outlook, as has been mentioned shows a persistence of the blocked pattern for at least the next week, and the cool NE wind also remains.

Would love some showers to help the plants, but little sign currently.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've just spent an hour watering on the allotment, cracks in the ground 1/2" wide. Too dry.

warm sunshine is lovely, colder northerly winds can do one.

@Papa Lazarou I can see bugs n bees in our garden, maybe they're flying low as it's so windy. I hope.

one thing that is missing this spring are bats, usually get them over the back garden and pond at dusk, haven't seen one this year.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've just spent an hour watering on the allotment, cracks in the ground 1/2" wide. Too dry.

Allotments, Ford Cortinas, Lambrettas. Proper old school! String vests too? :lolol:

Have you bitten the bullet on a Stelvio yet?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I talked with my eldest on Tuesday and he expressed surprise that I'd sat out in the garden. Apparently whilst the temps here were a perfect 20C it had been 12C in Norwich.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

@Papa Lazarou I can see bugs n bees in our garden, maybe they're flying low as it's so windy. I hope.

one thing that is missing this spring are bats, usually get them over the back garden and pond at dusk, haven't seen one this year.
I too am hoping the nagging wind is forcing them to seek shelter, but in my sheltered back garden I've only seen a few bees on the raspberries.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Seen lots of bats up in Darlo, one of them flew straight at my face while I was walking through the Denes the other day.
Had a few spots of the rain the other day, but a bit more wouldn't go amiss.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I talked with my eldest on Tuesday and he expressed surprise that I'd sat out in the garden. Apparently whilst the temps here were a perfect 20C it had been 12C in Norwich.
Yep. Sounds about right. It is glorious here today in Fav. But only about 14 degrees. I have yet to leave the house without a coat.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
For once, and probably only once, the west of Ireland is enjoying warm sunny days - all this week just gone and the next week looks the same - sunny 23 at present - this is NOT what happens normally!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
For once, and probably only once, the west of Ireland is enjoying warm sunny days - all this week just gone and the next week looks the same - sunny 23 at present - this is NOT what happens normally!
Enjoy! 🙂 as shared earlier in the thread- this is why: https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-1.78,50.50,1233
Been breezy here but not complaining as pretty much wall-to-wall sunshine for ages (although agree with others that some rain would be good) and overall nice and warm.

Seems like this current weather pattern is lasting much longer than average - especially for an unusual pattern? No weather expert though so perhaps not!?

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Allotments, Ford Cortinas, Lambrettas. Proper old school! String vests too? :lolol:

Have you bitten the bullet on a Stelvio yet?
No string vest, just an old Average white band T shirt 🙄

we can't bring ourselves to buy an SUV . . . I'm back on Giulia Veloce watch . .Mrs Zef Giullietta went today, collected by a Frenchman in a 159 3.2 Q4, which unsurprisingly is 'a bit juicy'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This glorious sunshine - forecast to last another couple of weeks at least - is being spoilt somewhat by a persistently strong chilly north-east breeze.

The anticyclone bring this fine spell - and blocking the usual rain-bearing low pressure systems - is lodged north-west of Scotland, and feeding in this annoying chilly wind off the North Sea (winds travelling clockwise around anti-cyclones).

If only it would shift a little further east, so that the wind came overland from the warmer continent.
This…….messing the fishing right up, and bloody chilly sat out of the sun. Very annoying

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No string vest, just an old Average white band T shirt 🙄

we can't bring ourselves to buy an SUV . . . I'm back on Giulia Veloce watch . .Mrs Zef Giullietta went today, collected by a Frenchman in a 159 3.2 Q4, which unsurprisingly is 'a bit juicy'
Giulia IS a better drive than a Stelvio which is probably the best handling and looking SUV out there, including Porsche, but the neighbours won’t be as impressed :smile:

When you say juicy about the 159 you mean throaty and sexy not high petrol usage I assume.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here